Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Micro Marring

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 06:31 PM

Micro Marring

Dont get me wrong my Paint on my Formula is perfect. But in very specific lighting I can stil see some micro marring or very very fine swirls. Outdoors its nearly undetectable. My question is do any of you honestly have zero imperfections?Its very easy to scratch this surface and Im suer I pic up dust and wipe it around now and then.Also i think after i powerwash it at the car wash sometimes I wipe it down with mi absorber and there is a small amount of dirt that comes off on my absorber and this is abraisive. This may be where Im getting it.Maybe Im too **** about this but I love my car and strive to keep it perfect.......Mark Anyone else this bad?
Old 10-26-2002, 06:47 PM

Re: Micro Marring

"Dont get me wrong my Paint on my Formula is perfect. But in very specific lighting I can stil see some micro marring or very very fine swirls. Outdoors its nearly undetectable. My question is do any of you honestly have zero imperfections?Its very easy to scratch this surface and Im suer I pic up dust and wipe it around now and then."

This is something you do not want to do, never wipe on a car surface with a dry cloth unless you are removing polish or using a spray detailer.

"Also i think after i powerwash it at the car wash sometimes I wipe it down with mi absorber and there is a small amount of dirt that comes off on my absorber and this is abraisive. "

Yes, this is also a bad practice, just power washing will not remove the grit and grime from driving in the rain and then if you take the absorber to it (which has no nap) you are asking for scratches and swirls.

For light dust removal I would go with a California Car Duster, and for washing, you really need to wash by hand if you plan on using the Absorber afterwards. If you want to wipe on the car, I would advise using only Fieldcrest, cotton, white towels, Royal Velvet or Charimas are the best kind of Fieldcrests and use a detailer spray with them.
Old 10-26-2002, 07:09 PM

Thanks Kevin

Thanks I know Im getting some of it from wiping and absorbing.Im trying to eliminate all imperfections in an almost 8 year old GM paint job. so I geuss if you look at it that way Im doing OK.Kevin you didnt answer my ? about your car?Do you have any micromarring at all?I think its impossible to get them all and not recreate more now and then. Thanks again...Mark
Old 10-26-2002, 07:45 PM

Re: Thanks Kevin

Originally posted by 95FormulaMark
Thanks I know Im getting some of it from wiping and absorbing.Im trying to eliminate all imperfections in an almost 8 year old GM paint job. so I geuss if you look at it that way Im doing OK.Kevin you didnt answer my ? about your car?Do you have any micromarring at all?I think its impossible to get them all and not recreate more now and then. Thanks again...Mark

Me? a marred finish? noooooo.....
Old 10-27-2002, 08:12 AM

I've seen KevinSS's car, I couldn't find a single imperfection on it. Well, except when the turkey he hit shattered the drivers side mirror, but it was a good excuse.
Old 10-27-2002, 08:23 AM

Well Ill keep trying.Its getting kinf of cold to wash cars up here but I can keep it fairly clean all winter.Last year I didnt have Zaino to rely on.......Mark
Old 10-27-2002, 10:16 AM

Cool

No marring here either.

I eliminated the remaining 1-2% of micro marring, that I usually had, to the towels I was using. Pretty great when I can apply 3 coats of Zaino to the car and come out without a single swirl swirl or scratch. Other things like washing/drying technique, and QD technique play a big part as well... I believe I've found my own methods for maintaining a perfect finish....but everyone does things differently so take it FWIW...