Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Matte Red?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 10:56 PM

Matte Red?

Hey everyone this is my first post!

I just bought a 94 z and to be honest the paint on it sucks. It's currently red and I know I need it totally redone so I was thinking and I wanted everyone's opinion.

I was either going to just go back to a glossy red or I found this auto shop in L.A. that does car wraps and I was thinking a Matte Red.

If you dont know what a wrap is just google Matte Wrap. there are tons of images and videos. I'd embed something in the post but I have no idea how.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:50 AM

Car wraps are supposed to be a much more temporary solution than paint if I'm correct. I think they're supposed to be on the car 3 yrs max. I've never seen someone do a wrap on here before and I doubt you are going to get any good comments towards them. I personally do not know so I cannot recommend either way. Car wraps are sometimes used by people with exotic cars who want to change their car's color without damaging the original paint and having the option to go back to the factory finish when its time to sell. I think the wraps look cool but I don't know how durable they are. Maybe if your car is garaged?

As far as the color, I think matte red would look unfinished. Matte black just barely works. I think satin colors are the way to go. Satin red would look nice.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:51 PM

I just went through and saw a couple examples, one was a Silver Vette that went Matte Black. Even though I know it's Matte, I still don't like the look. It does, as one post I read, look like it's just inviting everyone to say "So, what color are you gonna paint it?". Especially for red, go for the good stuff and go back to Gloss
Old 07-30-2010, 01:21 AM

Whats the difference between a Matte color and a satin?

Gloss does seem like it's the safe option. But it just seems that red is a common color on the z28 and I wanted to stand out a little bit so I thought maybe a matte red would be a viable alternative.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:34 PM

getting a car wrapped is not cheap and even more so considering it's only a temporary thing.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:16 PM

^^ Getting it wrapped is pretty expensive. The exotic guys go that route because it's cheaper than getting a Ferrari painted and then not being able to sell it because it's painted.

Wraps have gotten really, really popular here for exotics. The matte ones I don't particularly like. When they are dirty, they look filthy, and unless it's a brand new car that couldn't possibly be primer, it seems strange.

I saw some pics of a matte purple Lamborghini SV awhile back. It looked neat, but I don't think the look would work on an f-body too well. If I saw a matte f-body, I'd just think the clearcoat was sanded off.

Somebody spotted this Ferrari 599 with a carbon fiber appearance wrap on it locally. I think that could look neat on a f-body.