Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Looking to Detail the Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 08:15 PM

Looking to Detail the Camaro

Ever since I bought my car the little paint swirls have ticked me off. It looks fantastic to most people and I constantly get comments, but to me they drive me nuts. So I was looking at not just waxing the car (which I already have) but getting it to look its best. So far from reading the forum I take it that I want to clay bar, use a good polish, and finish with a wax? I was looking at the mothers line and all the tips they have. So I should be looking into getting their clay bar, the CALIFORNIA GOLDŽ PRE-WAX CLEANER. Its the next step that they show that I am unsure about the "sealer and glaze" should I do that as well? I was going to try their wax to finish it off. Does this sound like what I should be doing, and it should be fine doing it all by hand? Also, how would I go about removing the layer of wax I already have on it?

Thanks to anyone that can help, I just want the car to look as good to me as everyone else thinks it does!
Old 05-21-2006, 09:58 PM

Re: Looking to Detail the Camaro

What I found works the best if doing it all by hand is the Meguiars 3 step. 1st step is the cleaner, not cleaner was, just pure cleaner. Followed by as many coats of the polish as you want, and seal it all with the wax. You can find it at Autozone and prolly advance auto.Sorry I don't have any pics but it makes by Redfire Metallic Grand Prix's color just explode. Just a thought for ya.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by 3400Camaro
What I found works the best if doing it all by hand is the Meguiars 3 step.
You found works best compared to what?

To remove old wax, use a mix of water and a little gentle dish soap.

As for your sealer and glaze question; Mothers newer FX products should do the trick. I'm a little confused about your question though.

Depending on how bad the swirl marks are, a 3 step process may not remove (very fine swirls) or cover up all of them and make you happy. You could try going over the entire car first with a bottle of Megiuars Scratch X or similar product. Zaino probably has something but I don't use them and am not sure.

Best option is to just go ahead with any of this stuff first, since it sounds like the paint isn't bad at all, and if you aren't satisfied - you can then decide if you want to spend more money on this.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by fredmr39
You found works best compared to what?
Compared to all the other cleaner waxes out there. thats just my opinion.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by 3400Camaro
Compared to all the other cleaner waxes out there. thats just my opinion.
Alright, I was just asking - I was unsure if you had tried most all, or just one other, etc...ya know? e.g. comparing the Meg.3-step to NuFinish and calling Meguiar's the best you've found would be retarded - but you've tried a lot more; I just wasn't sure.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:50 PM

Thx for the replies.. the swirls are really light, and most people don't even notice them, but I have. Gonna try out the mothers three step products and see where it gets me! Thanks again!
Old 05-22-2006, 11:10 PM

try some zaino, that stuff does wonders from what ive seen, claybar it too, that usually helps to take away from the swirling