Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

J/C if you guys re-wash after claybar-ing

Old 06-03-2008, 08:58 PM

Question J/C if you guys re-wash after claybar-ing

I was just wondering what some of you guys do when you clay the vehicle. I always start with a real good wash then go directly to claybar-ing. Afterwards, I re-wash it but was thinking that a quick spray of some quick mist detailer should also do the job. I don't think that this would effect the final results to much.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:17 AM

You can do either, most Clay kits come with detailer spray for that reason, I usually find the car is so cloudy looking after I clay it's easier to just give it another quick washing.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:19 AM

Re-wash here.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:18 PM

I re wash it too. Also re wash after done compounding.
I find many products(polish, glaze, sealents, compounds, etc) cover up imperfections so washing will remove them and bring out the flaws in the paint.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:51 PM

Re-wash as well. I've generally found that clay seems to leave some patterns/cloudiness, etc.

Like Chris said.

Jeff
Old 06-11-2008, 12:06 AM

I think I might approach this differently than most. This eliminates -- or rather combines -- the "re-wash" after claybaring.

I do a thorough wash.

Then I get a new bucket of water -- about half full, with about 3-4x much carwash soap as I'd use for a regular wash. It makes a slick, frothy mess. Then I start with one panel at a time, with a new wash mitt. Soap. Claybar. Next panel: Soap, claybar.

When I'm done with the last panel, I'll usually go over the horizontal parts of the car once more with the mitt and rinse.

The reason I claybar and use a soapy wash solution and mitt is that I don't think the "all-inclusive claybar spray" is enough. The frothy soap provides a really thick, slick solution that the claybar can ride on. Plus, if the claybar picks up dirt, I just use more froth/soap to get rid of it. It never dries out, leaves no cloudy stuff after the rinse.

PS - Claybar the windows and t-tops too -- next time it rains, you will notice substantial improvement in the function of water beading and wipers. For extra-slick glass, apply a coat of rain-x.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:06 PM

That's some good advice there.

I too, have clayed the windows before and much appreciated the results.

Jeff
Old 06-13-2008, 02:13 PM

I use a coat of cheap all in one wax on glass. On the highway when doing above 70mpg the water just moves up the windsheild and onto the top of the car. Never even need to use wipers.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8
I think I might approach this differently than most. This eliminates -- or rather combines -- the "re-wash" after claybaring.

I do a thorough wash.

Then I get a new bucket of water -- about half full, with about 3-4x much carwash soap as I'd use for a regular wash. It makes a slick, frothy mess. Then I start with one panel at a time, with a new wash mitt. Soap. Claybar. Next panel: Soap, claybar.

When I'm done with the last panel, I'll usually go over the horizontal parts of the car once more with the mitt and rinse.

The reason I claybar and use a soapy wash solution and mitt is that I don't think the "all-inclusive claybar spray" is enough. The frothy soap provides a really thick, slick solution that the claybar can ride on. Plus, if the claybar picks up dirt, I just use more froth/soap to get rid of it. It never dries out, leaves no cloudy stuff after the rinse.

PS - Claybar the windows and t-tops too -- next time it rains, you will notice substantial improvement in the function of water beading and wipers. For extra-slick glass, apply a coat of rain-x.
Good advice! Thats what I do, its also faster, cheaper and does a better job. Claybar your rims too. just use a seperate bar...
Old 06-15-2008, 11:04 PM

i washed it first with original dawn, when i clay bar'ed it i used the Z7 car wash as the lubricant.When i was done i washed it with the Z7 car wash.Then i polished the car using the Z2 with the ZFX cure accelerator.Put on 3 coats and used the Z6 in between each coat.I have to say its the best my envoy has ever looked.Even a couple of weeks later when there is a good hard rain i come out and it looks like it was just washed.The dirt/dust just slides right off.i am ver pleased with it.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:38 PM

After I clay bay, I detail to remove the fog from the clar bar, then I polish and then seal it with some wax. After all that I detail lonce more to even out the wax on my car.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by slomarao
I re wash it too. Also re wash after done compounding.
I find many products(polish, glaze, sealents, compounds, etc) cover up imperfections so washing will remove them and bring out the flaws in the paint.
that statement seems contradicting but i could be reading it wrong. i was under the impression that the point of such products was to fix/cover up imperfections in the paint and then sealing the paint through wax or other products would improve the shine.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:30 AM

wash car, claybar car, wash car, z5, z2. mirror