Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

How to prevent swirls and light scratches when washing

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 11:38 PM

Question How to prevent swirls and light scratches when washing

OK, I've had my new 02 WS6 since mid-November and I've never washed it! That's right...six days after delivery I parked it in the garage for the winter. It's still sparkling from the dealer's delivery prep.

Soon enough I'll be taking it out and will need to wash it. The car has absolutely zero of the swirls and light scratches that many cars get when being washed, and I'd like to keep it that way.

So here's my question:

When washing the car, how do you PREVENT the swirls and light scratches from forming in the first place?

THANKS

------------------
Red 2002 Trans Am WS6
Red 1994 Probe GT
Red 1986 Fiero 2M4
Member, Michigan Fiero Club (www.michiganfieroclub.org)
Old 02-12-2002, 06:03 AM

For starters, be sure you only wash your car using 100% white cotton wash mits by Viking. These can generally be found in Wal-Mart or Auto Zone for around $3-$4.

Drying is important too, many suggest using only 100% white cotton towels (made in the USA and preferrably Canon Fieldcrest or Charisma) to dry our cars with. Just be sure you wash them separately after you are done using them and that you do not use fabric softener in the wash.

You can also use other techniques to dry your car such as investing in a Toro 215 MPH electric leaf blower - works great!
Old 02-12-2002, 06:30 AM

Also use a light touch, it isn't necessary to use alot of pressure.

------------------
Kevin Villier, 2002 SS #186 - 6M with Hurst and "short-stick", TT, navy blue, chrome SS wheels, Bilstein suspension, SS grill, STB, SLP loudmouth, Direct-Flo lid with Holley filter and Mallory polished MAF ends.

Louisville, KY
Old 02-12-2002, 10:15 AM

DO NOT ever use cotton T-shirts on your car. They contain polyester and will cause
swirl marks and scratch your paint finish. Towels must be 100% Made in USA. Name Brand(Cannon or Fieldcrest Towels).
These towels are always 100% Cotton. Most other Brand name towels I've analyzed
are not 100% Cotton but a blend of cotton and polyester. The cotton material is
from overseas and is not federally regulated. Even though they say 100% Cotton
they are not.
You must use only white. Not colored towels.....Colored towels are not to be used
because the dye leaves a chemical residue on the paint finish. Always wash your
towels first before using. Use Liquid detergent and rinse twice. Do not use Powdered
detergent, Bleach or any type of Fabric softener. Make sure to run rinse cycle twice
to remove all detergent.
You should cut the selvages(borders) off the perimeter of the towels. This selvage
contains nylon and polyester stitching that could possibly scratch your paint finish.
The towels will fray a little once this is done. But it's better to play it safe.
Drying the towels on high heat will make them hold a static charge. I use the regular
heat setting and remove them a little damp and let them air dry. You can fluff the
towel real good when it's dry to make it softer.
As the towels get older they will lose there nap and absorbency and will have to be
replaced.
I don't like sponges natural or synthetic, they all can scratch

------------------
***Authorized Zaino Bros' Show car Polish distributor***
george13@adelphia.net