Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Help with windshield fogging/greasing up

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 12:36 AM

Help with windshield fogging/greasing up

Hello guys,

Something weird is happening to the windshield on my '96 Z28 (OEM as far as I can tell). I clean it inside and out and 3-4 days later the inside shows a greasy residue and fogging that really causes a lot of glare, specially when driving facing the afternoon sun.

I thought it was hot air coming out from under the trailing edge of the hood, causing this effect because the inside of the glass was colder from the A/C. This is not the case because there is this greasy residue the smears all over the place when I rub it with a paper towel. Some other facts:

-I live in AZ where there is almost no humidity. I can't recall this happening when I lived in humid FL.
-I have tried cleaning the interior of the windshield with: glass cleaner (with and without ammonia), vinegar, alcohol, just water and a paper towel with lots of rubbing and then a dry one.
-I have always used leather care products. Could this be evaporating and causing the residue? it only happens in the windshield not the other windows.
-Do I need to change the dryer in my A/C? the system works well and is not leaking or losing pressure.

My windshield has some deep streaks on the outside so I was even thinking of getting full coverage insurance and cracking the glass to replace it but I don't know if this will cure the problem. seems like any glass would be affected.

Anyone else has suffered this? I have to clean the glass every 3-4 days and you know it's not easy to do on 4th gens...
Old 07-10-2010, 08:39 AM

I'd try changing brands of the leather cleaner and any other interior cleaners you're using.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:44 AM

Do you smoke? That will cause a real bad film just as you are describing. That is the only thing that i know of other than your heater core leaking into the car. You will probably be able to smell the anifreeze and the carpet may be damp from it.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:31 PM

This fogging you describe is a common symptom of the heater core starting to leak. Do you smell coolant inside the car while driving, especially with the heat or defroster on?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:10 PM

It might be one of your car care products. I once had my old Z up at a dealership for PCM issues, and my buddy decided to detail the car for me while it was there. When I got it back, the windshield kept greasing up like you described. He used some super greasy **** that the dealership had to do the interior plastic, and it made a helluva mess.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:28 PM

I do not smoke. The heater core seems fine; there is no antifreeze smell or leaking in the passenger footwell area. I've used the heather only a couple times in the winter, right now the summer temps are 105-115F here so it's just the A/C.

It never rains here so its not like the T-tops are leaking and then the water condenses in the windshield. When I wash the car I'm always careful around my T-tops seals anyway.

I'll try Napa spray cleaner which I think it's the best and I got a windshield cover now to cut down on the interior temp when the car is parked. The car already has tinted windows and I bought the factory T-top inserts a long time ago to cut down on the sun and heat when I lived in Miami.

Thanks guys, if anyone else has more ideas...

Last edited by Interceptor1; 07-10-2010 at 11:32 PM.