Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

general tips please

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 01:17 AM

general tips please

well the time has come to where i wanna clay bar and wax my car, now i have all mcguires products to do this with but does anyone have tips for clay baring cuz i have never done it before and im open for other advice thanks and ill post pics after im done
Old 05-01-2007, 03:44 AM

I recently purchased the Meguiars clay bar kit also.
Wash and dry your car first,to be honest I found the clay bar really easy to use,just use plenty of detailer/lubricant,don't let it go dry or the clay will stick.Also try not to drop the clay on the floor,cause it will pick up all sorts of nasties.
You will see the particles that the clay is picking up,it's a great product.Once you feel the surface is smooth enough wipe away the lubricant with a soft cloth.That's all there is to it.
The kit I purchased came with two 50 gram clays,16oz bottle of spray on detailer/lubricant,a micro-fibre towel and a sample size bottle of cleaner wax.Overall I was really impressed with the kit .
Once the clay bar stage is complete, wax your car as normal,the clay was particularly good on the rear bumper,that area seemed to be the roughest area of paintwork on my car.
Let us know what you think once you get done,good luck,Mark.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:11 AM

Tip for the dropping your claybar on the ground bit:
I lay a plastic trashbag on the ground in my immediate working area so that if I do drop it, it lands on nice clean plastic instead of picking up those little bits that will scratch the hell out of your car. If you do drop it on the ground, get a new claybar. Good luck
Old 05-01-2007, 08:58 AM

I prefer to use soap and water as a lubricant rather than spray detailer, it does not evap as quick. Here is what i do about every 6 months to my daily driver. (the SS i only had to do once since it doesnt see too many of the elements )

Rinse car
Wash using the 2 bucket method-one soapy, one to rinse mitt
Rinse
Wash and clay one panel at a time
Rinse
Dry with leaf blower and waffle weave micro fiber(mf)
Apply ultimate paint cleaner by hand, buff with mf
Apply polish or glaze of my liking depending on condition of paint - with porter cable random orbital(pc), buff w/mf
Apply ultimate paint sealant with pc, buff w/mf
Allow to cure for 24 hours
Wax with meguiers gold class

I just did my new TSX and heres a couple pics

Old 05-01-2007, 11:23 AM

Also avoid trying to clay-bar in direct sunlight,if the panels are hot it will make it difficult.