Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Fresh oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 12:42 PM

Fresh oil

Their is road construction EVERYWHERE!!! Because of this I have a ton of fresh oil all over my Z. Does anyone have any suggestion what I can use to remove it.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Wash your car with a grease-cutting dish soap like dawn. Then go over it with a claybar. Then polish it (or wax it if that's your thing). If you're thorough and you follow the use instructions for the claybar and polish/wax correctly, the car should come out better than new.

Whatever you do, don't stop at just the dish soap. The car will look pretty good, but the paint will be unprotected and there will probably still be some oil on it.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:44 PM

if it's a '93-'97, leave the oil on the underside of the car to help prevent rust on the driveshaft!

I agree on the dawn, and to not just stop there. Not sure about the claybar, but at least Dawn, rinse, regular car soap, rinse, and wax. The Dawn will have removed any wax you had, so make sure to redo it.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:12 AM

Re: Fresh oil

If you try those things and don't see the results u would like , depending on how far up the oil/tar goes, they sell waxes that are designed to take tar off. A better way of achieving this is using WD-40, spray it on the panels where the tar is, let it set, oh b4 u do this please wash the area first, if you wipe practically anything over a dirty car, or even try to wax a dirty car u put fine and not so fine lines in the clear coat. What does that hurt? Have u ever seen rental cars that are always washed in those car washed that have the over hangs that touch the body as they go thru the wash? See how they are all dull on the roof hood and trunk? That's what a lot of fine scratches in your clear coat will do for u. Now after you soak the area and soak a rag with the wd40 and wipe, it may take some elbow grease, and if u find spots that just won't come off, get a small bottle of laquer thinner, they often sell it in small bottles for mixing paint for model cars, put some of that on a rag, and wipe the area, of course clean the area first, after u remove the tar and wash the car use wax and the area that appears dull will shine back up. I detailed cars while I was in highschool and college to pay for school @ a detail shop that specialized in highend cars, and this is what they did. Hope this helps. Oh wear gloves when using laquer thinner, and if u get full strength say @ a hardware store, dilute it 50/50 if the tar is super thick 70/30 if it's only moderate