Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Finish Kare Products /Acid Rain

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 08:20 PM

Finish Kare Products /Acid Rain

Does anyone have any experience with Finish Kare products? The "1119/883 System" in particular. My Z28 I purchased last month is covered in acid rain from the previous owner. A good friend is a PPG retailer and is actually going to give me this stuff. He said to read up on it and see what I can find and make sure it's not a problem on my car. I don't see there being an issue with what I've found so far, but I just want to see if anyone has tried it. If not, anyone else had success with acid rain removal products?
Old 10-10-2006, 07:19 AM

Re: Finish Kare Products /Acid Rain

Originally Posted by Rebelphotog96
Does anyone have any experience with Finish Kare products? The "1119/883 System" in particular. My Z28 I purchased last month is covered in acid rain from the previous owner. A good friend is a PPG retailer and is actually going to give me this stuff. He said to read up on it and see what I can find and make sure it's not a problem on my car. I don't see there being an issue with what I've found so far, but I just want to see if anyone has tried it. If not, anyone else had success with acid rain removal products?
Finish Kare was started by Lloyd Meguiar after a family fight. They do not believe in claying and use this method, this was around in the 50's and 60's. They sent us a few kits (I still have one) did not want to use it after reading the bottle on step #2, it does contain acid (that is how it works) and there are breathing warnings, and warning about getting it on your skin (it is an acid) Our shops took off acid rain etching everyday, we used abrasive products like 3M Scratch & Swirl Remover, and for real bad etching we would have to use a more abrasive product like 3M Polishing Compound, then a lessor abrasive to get the finish back. I know some people have had success with the FK process, just be careful if you use this method.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:07 PM

Thanks HCV. So do you think I'd be better off to strip the wax, clay the car, and then use a polishing compound? I also have some tree sap spots I need to take care of amidst that as well. Just trying to find the best method. This is my first black car and I'm just weary of what to use and what not to use. I've done stuff like this before on other colors, but never black which will show even the slightest imperfections. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:48 AM

That is the method I would use, but as you already know black takes special care to get a great finish, claying will remove all carnauba waxes, and should take care of your sap problem, if your good with a buffer you will have no problems, if your not find someone who is good to get your car back in good shape. Once it's how you want it then good 100% cotton wash mitts or good sheepskin wash mitts, good 100% cotton towels or DF or even good microfiber towels are very important, remember you have a black car and it will show everything, so any product that touches your car has to be clean and soft.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:06 PM

Thanks alot man. You're advice is much appreciated.