Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

detail guys, new BLACK paint, swirls....

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 09:49 AM

detail guys, new BLACK paint, swirls....

Eh, long story short here it is.

My truck in sig, brand new black beauty. I hate having black paint as far as maintenance/cleaning.

After I washed it and waxed it, I mean, it's almost impossible not to get little micro scratches and swirls on it. After the wax(3-stage mothers) the truck is awesome looking but in bright sun in direct sunlight u can see some swirls. Is this a normal thing or am I asking to much to get the paint PERFECT?? I used to have a white car and you couldn't see any kind of swirls, I could wash that car with a dirty rag and it would look good! I know that washing it and waxing it swirled it, I mean you have to touch the damn paint.

I had some burned in water spots to, so I used 3M swirl mark remover PN 39009 and that worked well, and actually cut out alot of the swirls. I did it by hand.

My question is, is it wise for me to get a buffer on a brand new truck and buff it down with that 3M stuff?? I know I could get it perfect, but then when I FRIGGIN wash and wax it again, it will get swirls! It's an endless circle, any thoughts?? I'm using a microfiber sponge to wash and one of those microfiber super absorbant towels to dry.............. Should I be using any other washing/drying products(I read as long as it's microfiber it should be good)??

Last edited by Hawk; 10-06-2006 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:20 PM

Re: detail guys, new BLACK paint, swirls....

Buffers tend to swirl paint, so forget about that. I have paint swirls all over my Corolla from my dad thinking a buffer was a good idea.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:10 PM

100% cotton towels work well for drying too, and 100% cotton wash mits. Not an el cheapo version, but pay a little bit for it and it'll be worth it. As far as waxing, only certain microfibers are good. Some look like microfiber, and technically may be microfiber, but definately aren't as good as the more expensive microfibers. It boils down to you get what you pay for. Some detailers I know refuse to use microfiber and swear by 100% cotton, others swear by microfiber. The same logic applies to buffing. With the right bonnets or heads, and right method, buffing won't leave swirls. My greenn 96 3.8L camaro is Polo Green Metallic and it shows EVERYTHING. 4 hours waxing and buffing makes it look new again. My 99 Z28 is black and the previous owner lived on a long gravel road so it's a little harder to bring perfection to, but other than minor chips in the front bumper, I can get it looking great with the same methods I used on the green car with a buffer, good cloths, and some Meguiars Gold Class.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:44 PM

cotton isnt really the best material...Microfiber is very soft and yet will catch any residue needed to dry/buff/or whipe away anything.

As for the swirls...rotary buffers will leave ALL kinds of swirl marks...especially in black paint....what you need is an ORBITAL buffer such as a cyclo or a porter cable polisher. Using soft foam pads with these orbitals do not leave swirls marks (unless using a heavy compound which there is no way around that).

Also...after using a swirl remover (polish) it is then good to find your favorite wax or sealant to put over top of that for protection and long lasting shine.

Cory
Old 10-06-2006, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Brangeta
Buffers tend to swirl paint, so forget about that. I have paint swirls all over my Corolla from my dad thinking a buffer was a good idea.
Maybe your dad needs to learn how to use a buffer? A buffer will leave swirl marks or holigrams if used incorrectly. If used correctly it won't leave nothing and would probably be the fastest way of getting rid of swirls. If the swirls are deep, you'd need to use a rotary buffer.

So for those of you saying buffers cause swirl marks, your using it the incorrect way or never seen a good buffed car.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Johnnynsac
Maybe your dad needs to learn how to use a buffer? A buffer will leave swirl marks or holigrams if used incorrectly. If used correctly it won't leave nothing and would probably be the fastest way of getting rid of swirls. If the swirls are deep, you'd need to use a rotary buffer.

So for those of you saying buffers cause swirl marks, your using it the incorrect way or never seen a good buffed car.
Good info. If used properly with a good wool pad that hasan't been used a billion times, a car that is buffed correctly should come out looking brand new.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Johnnynsac

You're probably right.

My solution is the old "doing it by hand method"
Old 10-07-2006, 03:44 PM

well, after I detailed the truck, it came out 95% good. Still some swirls and little scratches, but overall you can't see them unless your at the right angle.

I think that when it times to give the truck a buffing, I'm going to have a professional detailer buff the entire truck down to get rid of the swirls......

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Banned

hawk, check www.autopia.org

you will find lots of good info there..
Old 10-09-2006, 08:14 PM

If you don't have much experience with buffers, use the orbital style.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:55 PM

orbital buffers are the ****

You can't burn the paint with an orbital buffer.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:45 PM

Supplies:

-car wash soap with high lubricity
-high quality sheepskin wash mitts
-foam gun
-2 buckets with grit guards for paint
-1 bucket and mitt for wheels
-high quality microfiber towels
-210+ mph electric leaf blower
-high quality sealant and/or wax
-quick detailer

Method:

-wash wheels/tires/wells first to prevent spotting on paint and glass

-Don't use the same mitt or bucket for wheels that you use on your paint. The brake dust, etc. from your wheels will cause scratches and swirls in your paint.

-using foam gun, cover vehicle in a thick layer of foam

-Use two buckets for washing paint. One with a soapy mixture, the other with plain water to rinse the mitt between panels.

-Never use circular motions. Always wash, dry, and wax using front to back and top to bottom motions.

-when vehicle is fully cleaned, allow a slow, steady stream of water to flow over each panel...sheeting the majority of the water off

-use the leaf blower to blow all water from flat surfaces, mirrors, lights, etc.

-remove any remaining water with a waffle weave drying towel and detail spray

*The less you touch the paint, the less chance of marring*

Keeping a good sealant and/or wax on the paint will assist in cleaning and reduce chances of marring.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:00 PM

ZaneO has given some great information here...

From one detailer to another....GOTTA LOVE THE LEAF BLOWER!
Old 10-12-2006, 06:40 PM

F it, I'm going to have a professional guy with a buffer buff it down.

I'm 90% sure these swirls and minor hologramming were caused by the dealer using a buffer improperly, it does look like crap in direct sunlight.

I went on autopia.org and got a recomendation for a guy in NJ, he's going to come over and take a gander and see what he can do.............
Old 10-12-2006, 10:08 PM

Im on autopia a lot...a lot of those guys know what they are doing...i learned a lot way back in the day from that site.