Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Couple Convertible Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 07:49 AM

Couple Convertible Questions?

I recently purchased a '96 Z28 convertible and am working on cleaning up the top and have a few questions. When I bought the car it was stored with the top down so a lot of dust/dirt is on the underneath side. I'm having a lot of difficulty cleaning the material that is surrounding the rear window (inside of the car) and the material that you can see when looking through the handle directly above the rear-view mirror, both seem to be the same material. What is the material and any suggestions on how to clean it? I tried scrubbing with warm water/soap for about an hour around the back window and it appears dirt just keeps coming off on my rag and sponge. Both areas still seem to look brown when dry.

Also, has anyone ever used a carpet cleaner, with the attachment brush, to clean their convertible top. We have one and my top is pretty rough but I don't want to damage it.

Finally, my car is quasar blue with a black top but is it possible that some of the interior pieces could be a really dark blue? The hard fabric piece directly above your head on a convertible, about 6 inches wide running the width of the car, appears to be dark blue on mine when next to the black top, as well as the fabric pieces on each side above the doors.

Thanks, Troy
Old 05-19-2010, 11:13 AM

welli normally clean my wifes o1 vert camaro with meguiars canvas cleaner. i have been using it for years and it tends to get all of the dirt. you should show us some pics of these areas that you talking about, like the 6inch blue fabric.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:21 AM

I'll get some pictures up later today after I'm out of work...thanks.

What fabric are our tops? Looks like cloth to me but you mentioned canvas.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:44 PM

Below are some pictures of what I'm talking about. I did discover that the fabric pieces I mentioned that looked dark blue are simply a little sun faded. What options are there to dying this stuff?

Here's the picture around the back window, just curious what that fabric is and if it can be cleaned. As you can see it's browner than the top

Here's the picture looking through the handle. I believe the same material as what's around the back window.