Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Complete paint change...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:28 PM

Complete paint change...

Anyone ever done it? I'm talkin engine bay, jams, etc...Anyone ever had it done? If so was it pretty spendy? Right now my car is silver but i'm wanting a change so i'm thinking about painting it or selling it. Just wondering if you guys could help me out!

Thanks!

Andrew
Old 03-13-2008, 08:16 PM

I changed mine from green to orange.Dissasembled the whole car.Only thing I havent done yet is paint the engine bay.(Waiting to finish some customers cars.) It would cost you a pretty penny to pay someone to do it.Just in materials Ive spent about $1500. It's nice to have a dif color than everybody and there cousin
Old 03-13-2008, 10:09 PM

dunno if it would be the same cost, but I am looking at 8,000-12,000 total to have a third completely gone over and repainted. It's pretty labor intenseive. I would say you could not expect to pay less than 6000 though for a quality job, with more around the price qoutes I was getting more likely.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:10 PM

I had a complete color change done my on 1995 Z28. It was purple and I went to C5 Dark Navy blue.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=549253 PM me and I can email you larger photos and some of the original progress pictures.

I took one weekend and did under the hood myself. I degreased, cleaned sanded, primed and painted it black. That saved quite a bit of money. The whole car was redone. Door jams, inside the trunk etc.

Mine was completed for $4150 Canadian (body work and paint). It depends on how fussy you are and how patient you are. My car came out like a mirror and they did make one mistake if you read the thread (location of the rear Z28 symbol) nothing in the paint, but other than that it just took some real shopping around.

I found a body shop where the fellow did all the body work, he spent quite a bit of time prepping it, but I was in no rush, this meant he could work on my car in between the big insurance jobs. The second thing he offered was to have my car sprayed some place else. The car was then trailered to a local Chevy dealership and they sprayed the car in the color I wanted. That portion of the paint job was only $1000 + taxes. The dealership had a beautiful paint shop and when I went over to check it out after being sprayed (still stripped down) the car looked amazing. The body work did have an initial estimate of more than $3000 but with him taking several weeks longer then originally stated (probably close to 9 weeks total time, original estimate was 4-5 weeks) to get it all done he knocked off a few hundred for my waiting.

Also my car was in good condition. I had to buy one fender because my drivers side was cracked and I one small dent in the rear quarter. This might have also helped on price. Also note, I did not have the "roof" or mirrors re painted.

Originally Posted by Angelis83LT
dunno if it would be the same cost, but I am looking at 8,000-12,000 total to have a third completely gone over and repainted. It's pretty labor intenseive. I would say you could not expect to pay less than 6000 though for a quality job, with more around the price qoutes I was getting more likely.
I found the average to be about 6000 as well.

When I was shopping around the price varied between $4000-8000. But you get what you paid for, and who knows I may have just been very lucky with my price and the turnout of the paint. So food for thought, I went with lower priced body work and then had a dealership paint it and the car came out looking better than new.

Last edited by joe_95z28; 04-02-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:03 PM

Looks nice. I thought about having a buddy of mine do the engine compartment for me to help save the cost. I want to go from silver to black...So we'll see what happens
Old 04-01-2008, 01:58 AM

Unless you have some incredible mods you can't easily transfer over, it might be easier to just buy a black Camaro. When it comes to common colors like black, you'd really do better just buying a used car.

This obviously isn't your case, but for anybody reading, it's more cost effective to start with a black car and have it repainted. A lot of people, including me, think it's pretty cool to have a black engine bay, so you can save a lot of money by not having to disassemble the engine and have it repainted.

In the case of JC95Z, that green engine bay on his orange car probably looks pretty bad. (I haven't seen pics, so I don't know, but he probably keeps his hood down at car shows. I know I would. )
Old 04-01-2008, 11:24 PM

Oh it definitly looks terrible but it doesn't even see the street yet let alone a car show. Since I have bought it I have replaced every body panel on it,Including welding new quarter panels on. I'm not made of money so it takes time,But rest assured before drivin on the streets The motor will be pulled and front end dissasembled to paint the engine bay.
If your gonna change the color do it the right way dont half *ss it.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:43 PM

WOW, if you've changed the rear quarter panels, you're definitely doing a perfectionist's work. Hope it turns out great!