Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Caring for chrome wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 12:40 PM

Caring for chrome wheels

I just bought some new chrome 10 spoke SS wheels, and I would like to know what chrome polish you all would recommend to keep them looking good? I checked Zaino's site and he does not appear to have such a product. Would Mothers chrome wheel polish be best? Also, since the center cap on these wheels is plastic and I assume covered with a chrome paint, would I need a different product for the center cap, since it is not a truly chrome plated metal?

I know I should just wash them with normal automotive soap (I use Zaino) and not any special wheel cleaners. But, I assume one should also put polish, wax, or something on them every month or so to keep them protected and looking good. I want to what that something is to make sure that these last as long as possible with out the chrome starting to chip and flake off like my other wheels.

Also, does anyone know if there is a Zaino distributor in the Chicago,IL ; Joliet, IL ; or Muskegon, MI area? Or should I ask the Zaino company that question?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 06-30-2004, 12:47 PM

I use Mother's chrome polish on my ZR-1 rims, and I could not be happier. It removes water spots, and provides great protection. If you polish them once every 2-3 weeks, brake dust will just hose right off. My rims are also exposed to salt water too (My Z28 is a company car), so I really put it to the test. Check out my signature images and you'll see how good my chrome rims look.

Do not confuse Mother's chrome polish with Mother's aluminum polish!

Greg

Last edited by Scream And Fly; 06-30-2004 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:52 PM

Eagle One Never Dull works great on my chrome Grand Am rims.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:04 PM

I also use Mother's Chrome Polish on my 10 spokes... This stuff works GREAT !!!

I use the Never Dull on my Alum Polished Products (shroud, battery cover, etc..) This stuff also works GREAT !!!
Old 07-02-2004, 11:31 PM

Re: Caring for chrome wheels

Originally posted by 78montecarlo
I just bought some new chrome 10 spoke SS wheels, and I would like to know what chrome polish you all would recommend to keep them looking good? I checked Zaino's site and he does not appear to have such a product. Would Mothers chrome wheel polish be best? Also, since the center cap on these wheels is plastic and I assume covered with a chrome paint, would I need a different product for the center cap, since it is not a truly chrome plated metal?

I know I should just wash them with normal automotive soap (I use Zaino) and not any special wheel cleaners. But, I assume one should also put polish, wax, or something on them every month or so to keep them protected and looking good. I want to what that something is to make sure that these last as long as possible with out the chrome starting to chip and flake off like my other wheels.

Also, does anyone know if there is a Zaino distributor in the Chicago,IL ; Joliet, IL ; or Muskegon, MI area? Or should I ask the Zaino company that question?

Thanks,
Bill
You can use Z-2 or Z-5 to protect them and use Z-6 on them to detail them out when you want them to shine their best for cruises and shows....