Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

Bought truck, inside panels are covered in dirt and mud stains

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 07:01 PM

Bought truck, inside panels are covered in dirt and mud stains

So I picked up a base model 2003 Ford Ranger V6, 5-speed, 94k miles, for $2090 at auction. It runs strong and the body is straight, but the inside was filthy and it obviously has never been cleaned. I have been spending the day scrubbing the dirt off the vinyl floor, and will eventually get most of it up, but after windexing the doors and dash, there are still orange color stains on the gray plastic.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get those doors and the dash clean, and to get those stains removed? I know that windex is not really the right thing to use, but I'm not really sure what might be better.

There's also some stains on the seats. I figure I could rent a carpet shampooer, but maybe someone has a better idea there.

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2009, 08:47 PM
yy

Without looking at your car, it is hard to tell what the stains could be. To start, buy some Simple Green and try that. If that orange stain doesn't come out, then I think it may be permanent. On your interior plastic pieces, there can be chemicals that will soak into the plastic and never come out. In the worse case scenario, you can paint the plastic as there are paints made specifically for just that. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by yy
Without looking at your car, it is hard to tell what the stains could be. To start, buy some Simple Green and try that. If that orange stain doesn't come out, then I think it may be permanent. On your interior plastic pieces, there can be chemicals that will soak into the plastic and never come out. In the worse case scenario, you can paint the plastic as there are paints made specifically for just that. Good luck.
Would you use the simple green on the plastic or the cloth? It's not horrible looking, but it just has this subtle dirty look to it.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:08 PM
yy

Good thing about Simple Green is that it can be used on a variety of surfaces. In your case, a stronger mix would be appropriate for the carpet and upholstery.