Show and Shine / Paint and Body Care Washing, polishing, detailing, paint care, etc.

All right, all you friggin Zaino-holics...got a question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 03:52 PM

Talking All right, all you friggin Zaino-holics...got a question.

OK FINE, are you HAPPY? I finally broke down and BOUGHT some Zaino.

I just got the whole kit today. I want to know how long it's going to take to do everything. I'm gonna wash her down with some Dawn, rinse off, clay, then 2 coats of ZFX-enhanced Z5, followed by a coat of ZFX-enhanced Z2. Bearing in mind that I have to Z6 between coats, how much time do I need?

I work during the day, but I really want to know once and for all if this stuff is worth the praise it receives. You think I could get it done in 2 or 3 hours, or should I wait for the weekend?

And should I put Z6 on BEFORE the first coat or after the last coat, or only in between coats?

Thanks
Mark

------------------
1999 Firebird Trans Am
Mystic Teal, A4, 2.73
Whisper Lid, K&N
Old 02-18-2002, 04:09 PM

Talking

Nah, it's really not worth all the praise you've heard, so to save you time simply box it up and ship it directly to me where I can properly "dispose" of the stuff for you.

Seriously though, to go, completely and thoroughly, through all the steps is going to take quite a while, probably at least 3 to 5 hours initially. I'd just take a nice weekend off so I could take my time and do it right; it's worth it!

You should Z6 in between each coat, and it won't hurt a thing if you apply some Z6 after the last coat OR before the first.

Good Luck!
Keep us posted...

------------------
*Mike's 1992 Camaro RS 25th Anniv.*
Dark Red Metallic (ext.) / Flame Red (int.)
Flowmaster Crossflow, K&N, 20% 3M Panther Black Tint
JL Audio 3 10", PPI PC2100, Kenwood eXcelon KRC-953H/U, Kenwood / Pioneer speakers
ZAINO! - The Perfect Shine. Special Thanks to Sal Z!
My Guitars, Metallica Style! \M/
Old 02-18-2002, 05:26 PM

You can always dawn and clay it on a Friday evening after work, then the next morning rewash it to remove any residue and start polishing.

After the initial prep and coat of polish it gets even easier.
------------------
Kevin Villier, 2002 SS #186 - 6M with Hurst and "short-stick", TT, navy blue, chrome SS wheels, Bilstein suspension, SS grill, STB, SLP loudmouth, Direct-Flo lid with Holley filter and Mallory polished MAF ends.

Louisville, KY

[This message has been edited by Kevin V 2002 SS (edited February 18, 2002).]
Old 02-18-2002, 08:41 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kevin V 2002 SS:
You can always dawn and clay it on a Friday evening after work, then the next morning rewash it to remove any residue and start polishing.

After the initial prep and coat of polish it gets even easier.
</font>
What if I have to drive it in between the clay and the polish? Will it get re-contaminated?

I think I might just go into work early tomorrow so I can take some time and do it when I get home.

Old 02-18-2002, 09:18 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by squirrels:
What if I have to drive it in between the clay and the polish? Will it get re-contaminated?

I think I might just go into work early tomorrow so I can take some time and do it when I get home.
</font>
It won't get recontaminated in a day. take your time and do the claying real well, you'll be glad you did. Just rewash it and start polishing.

------------------
Kevin Villier, 2002 SS #186 - 6M with Hurst and "short-stick", TT, navy blue, chrome SS wheels, Bilstein suspension, SS grill, STB, SLP loudmouth, Direct-Flo lid with Holley filter and Mallory polished MAF ends.

Louisville, KY
Old 02-19-2002, 01:33 PM

I think I'm gonna Dawn, claybar, then put a coat of Z5 on and see how much sunlight I have left. If not alot, I can just let it go till tomorrow, spray with some Z6 and put on another coat of Z5 and one of Z2 tomorrow, right? Or do I need to wash it again?

Sorry to keep asking ?s, I want to make sure I do this right.

[This message has been edited by squirrels (edited February 19, 2002).]
Old 02-19-2002, 05:59 PM

As long as the car doesn't get dirty again, yes, you can just Z-6 it and then start polishing again. I do it all the time.

------------------

Louisville, KY
Old 02-20-2002, 10:17 PM

You think I could get it done in 2 or 3 hours, or should I wait for the weekend?
</font>
With all the steps, that stuff sounds like it would take 2-3 DAYS.

What are you using now? Please post to let us know what you think of the Zaino. People on here make that stuff sound like it was manufactured by Jesus himself. I dunno, sounds great, but I've been happy with Meguiars for years and I can get it at Auto Zone for $10.

Maybe you'll be the one to convert me, who knows.

------------------
30th Anniversary Z28, T-Tops, A4

Modifications:
JET PCM, GMPP CAI, 1LE intake belows, G2 air foil, BMR CM STB
Old 02-20-2002, 10:28 PM

Lightbulb

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 30thAnnivZ28:

I've been happy with Meguiars for years and I can get it at Auto Zone for $10.

</font>
Heh, I was happy with Meguiar's for a few years myself. I've probably tried every product they made during that time and I simply thought they were the best thing going. But, Zaino is just in a different league. There's so many benefits Zaino gives that products like Meguiar's simply can't touch. Durability, shine, ease of use, cost, etc...all make Zaino heads and shoulders above any carnauba product. I've been there and I won't be going back anytime soon...

------------------
*Mike's 1992 Camaro RS 25th Anniv.*
Dark Red Metallic (ext.) / Flame Red (int.)
Flowmaster Crossflow, K&N, 20% 3M Panther Black Tint
JL Audio 3 10", PPI PC2100, Kenwood eXcelon KRC-953H/U, Kenwood / Pioneer speakers
ZAINO! - The Perfect Shine. Special Thanks to Sal Z!
My Guitars, Metallica Style! \M/

[This message has been edited by MikeLS (edited February 20, 2002).]
Old 02-21-2002, 06:32 AM

With all the steps, that stuff sounds like it would take 2-3 DAYS. </font>
The only time consuming part is prepping the surface, making repairs, claying and removing old wax. This should be done regardless of what product you plan on using. Zaino is easy to use, especially application and removal. Anybody who tells you it is too difficult to use, hasn't tried it or did it wrong.

------------------

Louisville, KY
Old 02-21-2002, 11:22 AM

Gonna agree with Kevin on this . .. those initial steps are what makes a major difference to any start-up program. Regardless whether it's Zaino, Meguiars, Pinnacle, Mothers or Turtle wax, starting out right makes a world of difference.

Most any car care forum, regardless of what they are using will suggest the claying process, and that is what seems to have people baffled as to the amount of time, the re-washing etc . . they are asking "why bother" with all the steps. They make the difference.

As for all those folks who have never heard of a claybar - let alone used one . . .

i use this analogy . .

always owned mustangs, always been happy with mustangs - love mustangs . .

well, you just haven't driven an F-Body
cause if you have, you'd understand
(this message was not intended to annoy anyone out there who loves Mustangs)

------------------
1980 Z28 - Project Car in the works now!
2000 SSEi - Black , loaded
Best Times (yes, it races) 14.47@96.49mph
* * Authorized Zaino Distributor - Toronto Area * * *
Old 02-21-2002, 11:27 AM

With all the steps, that stuff sounds like it would take 2-3 DAYS.

What are you using now? Please post to let us know what you think of the Zaino. People on here make that stuff sound like it was manufactured by Jesus himself. I dunno, sounds great, but I've been happy with Meguiars for years and I can get it at Auto Zone for $10.

Maybe you'll be the one to convert me, who knows.

</font>
I'd just heard so much about it, plus I'm starting to pick up minor scratches and swirl marks, and Zymol polish ain't cuttin it, so I figured I'd give Zaino a shot.

Cost me $91 for everything with S&H , and I'll probably wait for the weekend so I can get a full day in on it.

I'll be sure to tell you how it turns out. The way people on here talk, I'm expecting that I'll need my sunglasses to look at my car when I'm done. When oncoming traffic goes blind I'll be happy.
Old 02-21-2002, 04:40 PM

What you'll notice the most is the protection and endurance that Zaino gives. That is what really does it for me, but I also like the shine too.

------------------

Louisville, KY
Old 02-21-2002, 07:08 PM

I'll be sure to tell you how it turns out. The way people on here talk, I'm expecting that I'll need my sunglasses to look at my car when I'm done. When oncoming traffic goes blind I'll be happy. </font>
Hah, hah, hah! Alright, thanks. You have a good color on your car in order to see what the deal is.

As far as the claying and general preparation of the surface goes, I agree 100% with the comments in the above posts. But don't you have to like let the stuff dry on the car overnight or something at each step? I guess I need to revisit their website again (been some time)and re-educate myself on the steps. Maybe something's changed (???). Just can't make sense outta spending all that time if I can clay, polish, and wax with Meguiars and still have enough daylight left in the same day to take care of the inside, too.

Then, as far as which one lasts the longest and all that, if I stay on top of things with the detailer after each wash, I can usually go 2-3 months before I feel like I have to repeat the process. Are you guys really saying that with Zaino you could go longer than that? I guess what I'm saying is I would think you would be claying and polishing just as often no matter what product you use - if you are as **** as me about your car's appearance. Agree?

So, if the shine's about the same (which I have heard on here before) and I'm still gonna be spending about the same amount of time applying elbow grease, what's the incentive to spend the extra $$$'s on Zaino.

BTW, not trying to be a PIA, just want to understand.

------------------
30th Anniversary Z28, T-Tops, A4

Modifications:
JET PCM, GMPP CAI, 1LE intake belows, G2 air foil, BMR CM STB
Old 02-21-2002, 08:19 PM

My main reason is the protection. The more coats you put on the better the protection, durability and yes the shine. Because you use so little with each application it actually comes out very reasonably priced, if used correctly with thin layers.

Unlike carnuba based products which are washed off every time you wash your car, the Zaino does not wash off. Since Zaino stacks each layer you add is just increasing the protection and durabilty.

Yes a couple of times a year I do a light claying just to make the surface perfect, but it takes ALOT of claying to remove the Zaino. A light claying won't affect the Zaino you already have on there.

It boils down to whether you think your car is worth it. If all you want is a quick, cheap, temporary shine, you can just use furniture polish. If you want the best in protection, durability and shine, there is Zaino. There is a reason it is the hands down favorite on many, many message boards.

------------------

Louisville, KY

[This message has been edited by Kevin V 2002 SS (edited February 21, 2002).]

Quick Reply: All right, all you friggin Zaino-holics...got a question.