Parting built blown 1996 T/A Vortech S trim, CPT 4l60E, etc

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:09 PM

Unhappy Parting built blown 1996 T/A Vortech S trim, CPT 4l60E, etc

UPDATE: Everything is gone except the Lucas injectors and they are probably sold as well. Still have to find a dumpster for the complete doors and bumpers since there is no interest in them, but I'll do that today.

I bought this car in 05 and really enjoyed driving it, so I took it apart in December of 06 and started building the car. Since early 2007 it's been sitting and I just now got around to starting it. The car still needs a lot of work, and a lot of money to be finished and I just don't care to spend the time and money to do so. I have an emotional attachment to this car and I'm really bummed to be at this point. It's hard to part it, knowing I will have to crush the shell, but it's not doing any good sitting in the garage.

It has about 3 minutes of run time on everything listed.

I can post pictures for those who are serious and have cash. This won't be a crackhead deal, but I'm no dreamer so I'll take reasonable market value for the parts. If there is interest, I can track down particulars, but this is what I can remember having:

Solid 355" short block with stock crank, SRP dished pistons, Scat rods, Cam Motion hydraulic roller spec'd for daily driver status, Cloyes double roller, SFI flexplate, ATI damper, Comp lifters and pushrods, block is zero decked on a BHJ fixture, balanced and all work done by Bills Performance in Gladstone MO (owner has since retired and sold business). Engine is OBD-1 with 1995 front cover with water pump hole welded shut. Listed on ebay

Heads are stock heads with good springs, polished chambers, and an intake port match job. They were surfaced and freshened prior to installation. It does have a good set of Harland Sharp 1.5 roller rockers 3/8" stud mount.

Blower sold.

I have one set of 42lb Lucas injectors that were on the parts car. $150

Delphi 50lb injectors part number 17104487. I bought them from a member here and they were advertised as being with dyno time only. They look new. $200

The 4l60E was built by Frank Cahall and is his Pro Race trans. I have his cooler as well. Spoke to him the other day and this trans is $1900 to duplicate. Has 15 feet of drive time Listed on ebay

The converter is a Fuddle spec'd to stall at 3200. Very nice converter SOLD

I have a stock 3.42 rear (taking to crusher today!)with girdle. (sold)

I have a PLX 500 NIB 9 channel data logger with wideband 02 $300

New Spohn adjustable torque arm . Has its own crossmember and driveshaft loop, removes mount from transmission, black in color. SOLD

New sperical-ball mounted lca (j&m?). $100

SOLD! Pacesetter LT/Y pipe. Ceramic coated headers could use recoating and have had V-bands welded on. The y pipe still needs the bands welded but it comes with bands and flanges. $200

Hooker Aerochamber catback has been cut off for LT. $150

Meziere HD (55gph) electric WP used for 5 minutes. Mounted in a housing with the drive opening welded shut. SOLD

New AC Delco opti for 1995 style sold

Factory dash pad with no cracks and in great shape. $50 local pickup only.

ATI Damper $275

Centerline Telstars for 3rd gen 15x8 rears with 275/50/15 BFG DRs (maybe 500 miles but older tires 2004 or so.) Fronts are 15x3.5 with VW tires. All are in good condition. Wheels have a few light scuffs but could be made new with very little work. SOLD

SOLD! 18" RPM 505 wheels (similar to BBS but way cheaper) with BFG tires. These are for 4th gen and a great looking wheel.

Two stock intakes. One is complete with rails, tb, injectors, etc. $50 for that one, $30 for the one that's missing the TB.

Stock MAFs (2x) $20 each

Homemade CAI consists of a big K/N filter and a 3.5" steel elbow. Works great and makes an honest 30hp (picked up 3.x mph and .411 in Wichita). Nothing fancy but very functional and very cheap. $40

Mallory 685 box that was in my car for a few thousand miles and works perfect. This is the best deal going for an LT1 with juice or boost. listed on ebay

Harris Speed Works electronic WOT switch. Works perfect. $??

02 eliminators. $??

1995 pcm, 1996 pcm. $75 each (Not sold)

I may still have an OLD akm serial port aldl cable and tunercat for the 95. meh
Shell of car is going to the crusher tomorrow (3/2).

I will have the doors, front bodywork, and rear bodywork available.

I also have some Nitrous Express solenoids that are in good working condition. One nitrous, one fuel, one purge. Listed on ebay

Post any interest you may have and we'll try to work out a deal. It's all going on the 'bay in the VERY near future. If I'm doing this, it will all be gone in two weeks, one way or the other.

Last edited by nosfed; 03-31-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:18 PM

Re: Parting built blown 1996 T/A Vortech S trim, CPT 4l60E, etc

I just took a few pictures of the car and some parts. Everything is dirty from sitting for the past half decade.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:54 PM

Can you post some prices?
Old 02-23-2012, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by 95-1LE-Z28
Can you post some prices?
I can, but I'm really looking for intelligent, reasonable offers. Truthfully, I don't know what this stuff is worth currently and I'd rather somebody tell me what they are willing to pay. I'm leaving town in a few weeks and if I'm going to part this car, I want it ALL gone by then. Anything not sold will go to the scrap yard before I leave town. I'd rather somebody tell me what they can pay and get it gone.

That said, I don't need to sell this stuff. The big ticket items won't be sold at crackhead prices but I think half of new should be reasonable. Then again, what do I know? If I can't get a good chunk from the trans/converter, blower, and short block it will stay together and I'll deal with it when I come back home.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:03 PM

The wheels pictured are sold. My buddy is thrilled. I sold these for $500.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:01 PM

What was the transmission rated at? I would be interested in that and the controller. Also would the pro charger work on a 93 speed density lt1?
Old 02-23-2012, 10:06 PM

Let me know what it cost new .I've been too the website and can't find any pricing on their Max effort 4l60e
Old 02-24-2012, 08:28 AM

Any more info on the Vortech would be appreciated. I'm guessing it's never seen a rebuild, what kind of mileage and use has it seen...if you know? How compete is it? I like the blow thru MAF conversion, that is always better. I'm guessing there's no intercooler. Which size blower pulley(s) does it come with? Honestly I think I've decided on a D1SC being the upgrade over my Powerdyne, but for the longest time the V1 was my first choice so the right deal might sway me back.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by canbaufo
Any more info on the Vortech would be appreciated. I'm guessing it's never seen a rebuild, what kind of mileage and use has it seen...if you know? How compete is it? I like the blow thru MAF conversion, that is always better. I'm guessing there's no intercooler. Which size blower pulley(s) does it come with? Honestly I think I've decided on a D1SC being the upgrade over my Powerdyne, but for the longest time the V1 was my first choice so the right deal might sway me back.
I don't know whether it's been rebuilt or not. It was on a car I bought from this board specifically to part it and keep the blower. It has no play on the shaft and no signs of damage or trouble anywhere. However, it is used and has seen some miles. The kit is complete and ready to install, with the exception of the crank pulley. Originally this kit had an OEM damper with the face machined for this pulley. I decided to switch to an ATI but never had the pulley machined. You could either have a stock damper machined for this pulley, or have this pulley machined for an ATI.

If I part this car, the blower will include a stock oil pan that's had a steel AN-10 fitting welded in for the drain and a section of braided -10 line. It's a major improvement from the suggested "thread the sheetmetal" method.

Also, the crank pulley is 6.66" and there are two blower pulleys. I'll measure them and get back to you. The crank pulley and one of the blower pulleys are new.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by dennis5374
Let me know what it cost new .I've been too the website and can't find any pricing on their Max effort 4l60e
Just spoke to Frank and I'm more impressed with his operation than ever. Not only was he willing to spend an hour listening to me ramble, he actually had the original invoice. It was built for a 355" LT1 with an S-trim and nitrous and the 3200 rpm Fuddle. Frank knew more about my combination than I did after all these years. Amazing.

This is the Pro Race model, rated to 800hp. It doesn't have the $500 billet output shaft, but everything else is there. Frank has 4,200lb cars running in the 10.80 range with this trans. Current pricing for this trans, including core and cooler, is $1900. I don't think that includes shipping.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:28 PM

Any more info on the shortblock and a price youd be looking at for it?
Old 02-24-2012, 10:50 PM

Can you get me a shipping quote for the transmission/cooler/TC? 13667? I just won 5k tonight and am definitely interested
Old 02-24-2012, 10:52 PM

Also the computer for the transmission would be needed I believe considering my camaro is a 93 and is not electronically controlled
Old 02-24-2012, 10:54 PM

Actually what would the price be on the blower setup and transmission shipped or separate? You can pm me if you like or email Me at dennismurray98@gmail.com
Old 02-25-2012, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bigbadwhitey
Any more info on the shortblock and a price youd be looking at for it?
Sure thing. The block is a two bolt bored .030 and zero decked with the BHJ fixture. It's all balanced and will come with a correct flexplate and can be sold with or without the damper. The timing set is the best Cloyes piece that will fit under the timing cover. The stock crank is either standard or -.010, I just don't recall. I've got well over $2,000 in the short block ($1,000 in machine work). It should be worth $1,000 without the damper. It has a brand new Ac Delco Opti that can be added.

The timing cover has no provision for a water pump drive. I bought a Meziere and had both sides of the drive welded shut. You'll appreciate that if you've ever had a water pump go out, ruining a brand new Opti in the process.

Bills Performance was a good shop and was in business forever. The owner eventually retired and sold out, and the guy who took over ran it into the ground in short order. This engine was built by the Bill a couple of years before he sold out.

This is a great engine that's as good as anything with a stock crank can be. All of the parts were bought new by me except for the block and crank. It has Comp lifters (non-R) H beam Scat 4340 rods 6" long. The rings are better than the standard SRP but I don't recall which ones now. Pistons are a standard SRP part with a dish, compression with stock heads is about 9:1 if memory serves. This setup was thoughtfully designed to be an *** kicking daily driver. Cam Motion built the cam with the same intentions and the cam was degreed by Bills.

The cam specs are

Grind # X2221-2291-14
Core 4310012
Duration @ .050
Intake 223.1
Exhaust 231.7

Lift (1.5 rocker)
Intake .52163
Exhaust .53002

LSA 114.1

ICL 110.1 ATDC
IVC 41.9 ABDC