I think I'm screwed.........

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 11:19 PM

I think I'm screwed.........

I sent a guy 560$ for some rims and tires about 3 weeks ago..... I got a couple of e-mails about when he was going to get them mounted. The last e-mail said he was getting the wheels mounted that night, and would e-mail me the next day about when they would be shipped. That was a week and a half ago. I e-mailed him yesterday, and his e-mail account appears to no longer exsist...... What do you guys think? Any chance this is a misunderstanding?

Last edited by phoenix64; 04-02-2004 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:22 PM

i got my rims from a guy on here cod and got them 4 days after i told him i wanted them.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:56 PM

Re: I think I'm screwed.........

Originally posted by phoenix64
I sent a guy 560$ for some rims and tires about 3 weeks ago.....

I'd say there is a problem due to the amount of time & the email situation.

What if he had broken into your car & stolen $560 worth of car stereo?

Same thing $ wise here. I'd file a report & make a criminal complaint. How did you pay? Do you have his name/address/phone?

For a time reference, I put up a post here selling some injectors & other stuff on 3-7-04 (almost a month ago). I've sold the injectors, headers, and radiator to three different buyers over this time, and I shipped the last item (radiator) on 4-1. I was able to ship using FedEx (they are open later than UPS) the same day I received payment for the headers & radiator, and emailed the buyer the tracking # the same day as shipment. I've aready heard back from the injectors buyer that he received them OK.

Three weeks is plenty of time to do SOMETHING.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:29 AM

Is there anything you can actually do if somebody trys screwing you.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:52 AM

basically if he ripped you off your screwed, i got burnt 250.00 and that bs fraud report crap didnt help at all, the police said sorry we looked into it nothing we can do.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:35 AM

Whats his user name?

Do you have a name, address, or phone number?

I've bought a lot of stuff off site members and had good luck so far. I try not to buy from someone that's a new member with a low post count. Also, very seldom do I buy from someone that dosn't take Pay Pal. To me it means they are more serious about buying and selling over the internet, Pay Pal also has a rating system. But in the end its still a risk.

If you know the above info post it, maybe someone here knows him. Also don't panic about the email thing yet, could be a ligitamate problem that will be fixed. I bought a QTP valve over a month ago and I still haven't gotten it. Keep getting jerked around about having time to remove it and make a block off plate. I did get a tracking number today, but I should have been three weeks ago. Sometimes people are lazy about getting things done.

Hope it works out, Good Luck
Old 04-03-2004, 06:04 AM

Originally posted by bluecmaro96
Basically if he ripped you off you're screwed, I got burnt 250.00 and that bs fraud report crap didnt help at all, the police said sorry we looked into it nothing we can do.
I guess you may need to cop shop. Yesterday the cops here busted a guy that used a fake credit card to buy a ring from a place across the country. Theft is theft, and $500 is usually a felony most places. It also would not hurt to call the cops where you sent the money. Sometimes a visit from those in blue can "persuade" a seller to deliver the item (had to do this with a car stero from Illinois).

Worst case scenario, if they won't do anything, since this is a big chunk of change, you should do something via the courts (i.e. sue him). I had to do this (for $100) with a kid in Michigan (paid for something, it arrived broken due to his negligence & he refused to refund my $) and ended up getting money from his paycheck after I won my lawsuit. I did everything with Michigan via the Internet & mail. He now has a paid judgement against him on his credit report.

Yes, it is a pain in the butt, but yes you can get your money back.

Best advice for the future?
Originally posted by RE AND CHERYL
I've bought a lot of stuff off site members and had good luck so far. I try not to buy from someone that's a new member with a low post count. Also, very seldom do I buy from someone that dosn't take Pay Pal. To me it means they are more serious about buying and selling over the internet, Pay Pal also has a rating system. But in the end its still a risk.
Paypal also has a guarantee system that works- I just used it for a cell phone part ($9) and got my $ back when the seller didn't ship. It cost me 74 cents. The amount is a portion of what you pay, and as the saying goes, 90% of something is better than 100% of nothing.

I also hope this works out for you, keep us posted.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:52 PM

one word for ya COD
Old 04-03-2004, 02:01 PM

That @%#$ing SUCKS!!!
Old 04-03-2004, 02:32 PM

Thanks to everyone for all your advice. I thought about COD but he didn't want to. The post was on this board, but I can't find it anymore. I guess I'll give him a few more days to get in contact with me, hopefully he is just busy or lazy. I also tried to find a phone number, but its unlisted. I have his name and address, there must be someway to get his number?
Old 04-03-2004, 05:15 PM

www.whitepages.com
Old 04-03-2004, 05:50 PM

I hope you didnt pay via paypal. If so you may not get your money back...
Sebastian
Old 04-03-2004, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by RE AND CHERYL

I try not to buy from someone that's a new member with a low post count. Also, very seldom do I buy from someone that dosn't take Pay Pal. To me it means they are more serious about buying and selling over the internet, Pay Pal also has a rating system. But in the end its still a risk.
Its a shame. I am beginning to think it is reasoning like this that has prevented the sale of my LT1 intake I have been trying to sell on here. In taking the proper precautions, post counts aren't a huge deal to me.
Old 04-04-2004, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by phoenix64
Thanks to everyone for all your advice. I thought about COD but he didn't want to.
That should have been the first red flag...

Good luck!
Old 04-04-2004, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by Eric H
That should have been the first red flag...

Good luck!
I dont like COD either, I mean if they say no they you pay shipping both ways, jsut gives the buyer to easy a way to go back on the deal, if I was to ship COD I would want the shipping costs frist at least.

I've made several transactions on here, and all have been great.
one extra thing about paypal is that its usually off a credit card too, so you can dispute the charge easier if you have to.

what is the name of the user that is doing this?