Pacific Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington

Yakima

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:19 PM

Yakima

anyone live there?
Old 02-27-2008, 01:13 AM

I live in Ellensburg, about 30min away from Yakima. Use to live there, for a short time. It's also the closest drag track (Renegade Raceway) to where I live.

You have a question concerning yakima?
Old 02-27-2008, 01:15 AM

I played baseball there a little bit last summer, against the Yakima Bears. They are a minor league baseball team for the Arizona Diamondbacks. I played for the Boise Hawks, (Chicago Cubs minor league team). I wasn't impressed with Yakima and neither was anyone on my team.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by za355tx
I wasn't impressed with Yakima and neither was anyone on my team.
Diddo. It's nickname is "crackima" for good reason. There are nice parts, if you go far enough west outside the city (west valley; or anything west of 40th) or far enough east (Terrace Heights) but the majority of the inner city is a ****-hole.

It's a relatively dirty town, with a ton of crime. Everyone I know that works there, chooses to live in Ellensburg and commutes rather than live in the city. I lived there for about a month before I moved back to E-burg.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:24 AM

lol, there is a possiblility of me moving there to be a youth pastor at a church. I was just wondering if i would be the only one there into cars. I've read that the crime is pretty bad, drugs are an issue from what i've seen. If i do move up there does it snow all the time?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Critter
lol, there is a possiblility of me moving there to be a youth pastor at a church. I was just wondering if i would be the only one there into cars. I've read that the crime is pretty bad, drugs are an issue from what i've seen. If i do move up there does it snow all the time?
Doesn't snow ALL the time, but you do have a healthy winter; snow capable vehicles will be required for a portion of the year. Yeah, the city's crime index is like double the national average. There are actually a surprisingly large amount of people into cars in the area, but you will virtually ONLY see them at the nearby Drag-Strip. You will rarely see the enthusiasts driving their nice cars on the street around town. Attributable to some really poor street conditions, and really really high car vandalism, theft, and hit 'n runs. However, the streets are heavily populated by jackass idiots who like to race their 100hp beaters anywhere/everywhere.

There are nice parts to the Yakima area, and if you stay in those parts life is good. But for the most part, my experience with living in yakima is it is straight up depressing. But I am bias. I'm a college student living in Ellensburg, and it is simply a town that is extremely safe, extremely clean, and fitting to my lifestyle. Yakima is basically the exact opposite.

I am into cars, and founded the CWU On-Road Car Club. It's a small group of enthusiasts from the local area. We virtually do all our own work, and all race. If you don't mind cruising to ellensburg, we meet up pretty frequently soon as the weather gets nice. And shortly, will begin making runs to Renegade Raceway just outside of Yakima.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:15 AM

I have always heard that Yakima is one of the centers of our gang violence and drug trade---but I do hear there are nice areas--do some research before you move there because of all that crime---I am east of Ellensburg 100 miles but have heard forever of the crime there---one of my friends is a US Marshall there and he tells me things that are scary so just be careful---snowdog
Old 03-02-2008, 01:51 AM

I've been there for training a LOT. I didn't care for it much. They do have some good mexican food though.