Pacific Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington

Saskatchewan goes no front plate

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 04:27 PM

Cool Saskatchewan goes no front plate

Reading through the paper I see Saskatchewan is switching to no front plate. The reasons given are looks, aerodynamics , lower cost to public insurance (pay the same but only get 1 plate, are you listening ICBC?) and the hope of economic growth in novelty license plate sales.

I swear if the Liberals let us put driver/passenger tint on our cars and went to the no front plate rule, they could get every car enthusiast's vote no matter what they do. Raising the speed limit wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited by Gord's Green Z28; 05-05-2004 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:43 PM

You guy's can't tint your drivers and passenger windows..? Wow.. if that is true, and you see anyone with just a tinted hatch, please do me a favor and slap them. Damn po-pos around here are bitches about the front plate thing though, sucks.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:53 PM

Tint laws are insane everywhere. In BC, you can go as dark as you want on any window except the driver/passenger window. None allowed on there. So if you look through the rearview mirror or have to turn around to look out a window you can go double 5% if you want. But looking through a side window.....argh. Nevermind that the side window is the only window that actually protects you from the heat and sunburn.

Manitoba lets you put side tint on (45%) as does Ontario (35%)

You want crazy, look at Hawaii. No window can be darker than 35%.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:54 PM

We are not suppose to have tint from the shoulders forward. Rear windows are OK
Old 05-05-2004, 05:08 PM

The reason for this is safty for the cops so they can see what you are doing at all time
Old 05-05-2004, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Mad-Max18
The reason for this is safty for the cops so they can see what you are doing at all time
Awe come on. Cops can see through 35%. In Texas last year, they changed the side tint rule from 35% to 25%. And there are more guns there than all of Canada. I've even seen cop cars there with 5% on their front doors. No wonder they don't give out many tint tickets.

Quebec lets you have a whopping 70% on your front doors. Woooooo. LOL

California can give tickets to out of state drivers for breaking their tint laws. None allowed on front doors there either.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by Gord's Green Z28
Awe come on. Cops can see through 35%.

Maybe in broad daylight, but crime is a bigger issue at night when you cannot see through even mild tint.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:13 PM

My question is
Gord where have you been, Mr. Mystery Man?
Old 05-06-2004, 12:13 AM

a cop told me the reason for not having tinted heads is because it turns the window into like a guilitine because it supposed to shatter into little pieces upon impact.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by 93formula
a cop told me the reason for not having tinted heads is because it turns the window into like a guilitine because it supposed to shatter into little pieces upon impact.
Just the reason I would recommend everybody have tint even if it's the lightest shade possible. If a semi throws a rock up at you or some debris in front of you spits up something, the glass will crack but won't shatter into a million pieces in your face.

My mother rolled a Z28 about 20 years ago. Landed upside down on top of the T-tops, which were shattered into a million pieces. If she wasn't wearing her seatbelt, her face would have had a ton of broken glass in it. Windshields are made from the factory to withstand being broken into a million pieces just like tinted sides.

As for night driving, I say if the cop can't see you. He can tell you to lower the window over the megaphone. More tint, less skin cancer, lower health care bills, less A/C needed, less gas spent, better for the environment, less fading and cracking of the interior, less glare, less chance of people seeing your stuff in the back. You just can't lose when it comes to tint.....until the po-po pull you over.

I compared interior temps before and after tint when it was 28° outside. The interior was 12° cooler. A noticable difference. Insulates your windows during the wintertime too so you don't need as much defrost or heater.

Last edited by Gord's Green Z28; 05-06-2004 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:29 AM

so you would rather have the glass as a razor blade then shatter into a million pieces??? i personally prefer the side tint, but just decided to point out the other point of view.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:56 AM

I guess it could be like razor. I think it's more like industrial saran-wrap. Would probably just be bumpy.

I'm not into the broken glass thing. Just the thought of it breaking into my face gives me shivers. My step dad had broken glass in his body after stuffing a 69 Camaro into a tree. Every once in awhile you'd see him chasing a piece of glass under his arm trying to get it out. Course everytime he'd touch it, it'd shoot away..... I saw him pull a piece of glass out from around his eyeball one time. I just about upped my cookies after seeing that.

Mr oh oh Jimbo, I've been away from the net for awhile. Still check in once in awhile to see how much trouble Pandamonkey gets himself into. I swear he out does himself worse than "Adventures with Bill"

Gord "Red Green"s Z28
Old 05-06-2004, 01:09 AM

i understand what the cops are sayign and i understand what your saying, if it were possible id actually swap out the windows for tinted tempered glass, because as far as i know its window tint film thats illeagle not the tinted windows themselves. like if you brought up some factory tinted windows from texas for the f body im sure you wont get ticketed.
Old 05-06-2004, 03:01 AM

i used to have my sides tinted but the cops made me take it off to insure my car. i dont see any danger in it. i dont understand the gilotine comment. all it would do is hold the glass to gether it still shatters just into a sheet its flexable after it breaks. its not like a windshield.it still breaks easy and a rock would go through it pretty easily.

i hate not being abnle to have tint on the sides. i finally took off the front plate again after having it for about a yr. those look dumb also.

i hate stupid rules
Old 05-06-2004, 03:35 AM

I'd like to tint my side windows somewhat cause it looks cool but I also like to be seen. Doesn't matter if side windows arer tinted or not if you are t-boned. Way to go for Saskatchewan on the no front plate law, I'll never put a front plate on my bird.

Quick Reply: Saskatchewan goes no front plate