Pacific Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington

Procedure for motor swap on Saturday, and a request

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 01:59 PM

Procedure for motor swap on Saturday, and a request

Hey guys,

I'm getting pretty psyched up for the motor swap! Here is the procedure I would like to follow:

http://ken.lowrance.com/Projects/Hea...ineRemoval.htm

First question: does anyone have a strong tow strap (i.e. one suitable for off-road extractions)? I would like to use this to help lift the car using the strut tower brace. I am sure we can use chains if necessary, and wrap the stb with duct tape to protect the paint... but a tow strap would be preferable.

The following tasks will need to be done to my new 383 before it goes back in the car. These can be done while people are working on extracting the old motor:

1. install LT4 heads on new motor with ARP stud kit
2. install notched oil pan and gasket to clear the stroker crank. We will also need to rotate the crank to test for clearance and possibly do additional notching.
3. transplant CSI water pump from old motor to new motor
4. install A/C delete pulley on new motor, along with harmonic balancer and hub, and all other goodies such as intake manifold, accessory brackets, injectors, sensors, and wiring harness.

Most of these tasks will probably be done before 1 or 2pm, so if you want to learn how to do these things try to arrive earlier in the day....

I would like to multi-task with 3 or 4 guys working on getting the motor out, while a couple of other guys get the new motor squared away and ready to install. There will be lots of work for everyone who wants to learn .

Finally, the more people who can arrive at 9AM the better, there will be plenty to do right from the get-go, and this will increase our chances of finishing in one day.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help.... and hopefully we can raise $100 for the food bank as well.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:09 PM

I will be there...I'll ask Rob if we can use the tow strap from his Dad's race car....

I hope you know how to put the heads on.....pretty delicate procedure!!!

What can I bring other than the tow strap?
Old 03-13-2003, 02:20 PM

Other then the strap, I think we have everything we need.

The only other things that would be nice would be a pair of tall, heavy duty jackstands. A creeper or two would be nice also...
Old 03-13-2003, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by oldschool

I hope you know how to put the heads on.....pretty delicate procedure!!!
lmao .. so not true

u can do it blind folded with the motor IN the car .. let alone the motor being OUT of the car ... hahahaha

its easier than installing headers man .. u put head on block, u put bolts in, u torque to spec in 3 rounds

craig: make sure u have the washers and bolts that go in the back of the heads for coolant return ... DO NOT COUNT ON reusing the ones off ur old heads .. they washers WILL NOT BE REUSABLE .. if u remember the washers alone cost $10 each and u need 4 .. so u might as well buy a whole new line that comes with the 2 special bolts and the washers .... RE&RE ing heads is really really easy when the motor is out .. just make sure u got more than 1 torque wrench so 2 people can work on it at the same time

i highly doubt that i can make this party of urs due to overwhelmig school work ... im sure u wont have any problems getting anything done as long as matt is there
Old 03-13-2003, 02:35 PM

Hmmm... I'm not sure if I have those washers.... I did get a new line from Steven though when he dropped off the motor.

I will probably take a gamble and try to re-use the washers from my 190's. They only have about 5k on em, and when we did the head swap the washers on the stock heads seemed fine...

maybe I will call the dealers and see if they have any just in case.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by sideways_Into_3rd
i highly doubt that i can make this party of urs due to overwhelmig school work
For someone who has an overwhelming amount of school work, you sure seem to be on this site a lot.
Old 03-13-2003, 03:00 PM

craig: buy them if u didnt use them .. return them ... u'll be pretty pissed off if one of the washers breaks and the whole project gets delayed till monday

benny: this site is the only thing that keeps me sane .... sad isnt it
Old 03-13-2003, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by sideways_Into_3rd
craig: buy them if u didnt use them .. return them ... u'll be pretty pissed off if one of the washers breaks and the whole project gets delayed till monday

benny: this site is the only thing that keeps me sane .... sad isnt it
I just ordered the washers... will pick up all 4 of them on friday evening. better safe then sorry, thx for the reminder
Old 03-13-2003, 03:50 PM

I have a torque wrench
Address is

6131 - 169 A street
Surrey
Old 03-13-2003, 03:51 PM

Craig I thought you were selling your CSI to me??
Old 03-13-2003, 03:59 PM

I would prefer to keep my CSI since i sorta butchered my water pump housing to get it installed....

I was going to give you the Meziere that came with the motor instead - it is already installed in a housing so that would be the easiest way. It also has less use on it then the CSI...

Are you ok with this or would you prefer the CSI? I am ok either way.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:09 PM

"i highly doubt that i can make this party of urs due to overwhelmig school work ... im sure u wont have any problems getting anything done as long as matt is there"

This doesn't sound like something an SFU student would say

Just kidding

Andy
Old 03-13-2003, 08:14 PM

May I seriously suggest that you guys are extremely in the wrong attempting to re and re the motor that way. For starters it is a lot more work and also you sure as hell dont have the room to be doing it at shawns house. Dont understand why you guys dont pull the motor out the old fashioned way hell i have pulled them out in just over 1 hour by my self. with a few guys it seriously shouldnt take you an hour.
Trust me when i say this do it the right way not the hard way. Dropping the k member is something that is done when the space is a vailable as well as a hoist that can lift the body soley.

Regardless i will attempt to make it out for watching and direction purposes soley my arm is too fuC%ed up to be doing any work
Later
Mike
Old 03-13-2003, 08:30 PM

Good points.... I guess we will have to evaluate the space available.

The thing I like about taking it out the bottom is that the headers can be bolted on and the plugs/wires installed before putting the motor back in. That would easily be the most time consuming part of the whole operation.... In addition tranny can be bolted on while the engine is outside the car.

I wonder if it would be possible to drop the motor in the top with only the passenger side header bolted on? That is by far the harder side to install and put plugs in after the header is on... the driver's side is cake in comparison.

Is it possible to reinstall the engine from the top with the tranny bolted on? Might not be the best idea, just looking to save time wherever possible.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:02 PM

Headers are a joke with the motor loose in the compartment just slide them in with the motor. As far as plugs and wires craig that is honestly the least of your worries bud. Tranny wont be any easier honestly with the motor out. Remember Me and steve have re and re a tranny in less then 1.5 hours with ease.
I am just saying dropping the k member with the whole motor is going to be a lot uglier of a job with the limited space you have in shawns shop. It will also be more time consuming IMOP as well as require a lot more man power to move things around.

Later
Mike

Quick Reply: Procedure for motor swap on Saturday, and a request