Pacific Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington

new limitations for new drivers

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 04:32 AM

Question new limitations for new drivers

So I hear it's official that as of October 5th 2003, the new effects take place for people getting there Learner's and Novice license have stricter limitations and longer waiting time. I really don't give 2 flying flings about it since it doesn't effect me, except my younger sister who would be taking it after October 5th. Better to not have so many (not all) young irresponsible drivers out there? Or would it even make a difference?
Old 10-05-2003, 06:11 AM

I personally think they should raise the age up to either 18 or 19 rather then placing more restrictions on new drivers.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:58 AM

i still say lower th elimit of passangers to 1 is a bad idea. all it is going to do is put more cars on the road. you going to have 2 or three cars with 2 kids instead of just one. and i can garrentee that will involve racing around and speeding. our government is really stupid sometimes just looking for quick fixes to stuff.
Old 10-05-2003, 01:52 PM

It won't make a difference, look at us did we street race when we were 16? Now at 19, 20, 21 we into this stuff full force and don't fuggin deny it.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:02 PM

welcome. lol interesting first post, tell us bout ur self.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:09 PM

What exactly are these new limitations?
Old 10-05-2003, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by talos
welcome. lol interesting first post, tell us bout ur self.
Well lets see...

I'm from the lower mainland, been checking this site out for awhile and finally decided to give in to my temptations. Grew up with mostly all male cousins and uncles who talked about cars and computers and still know hardly anything about them, I guess it's just the estrogen in my body getting to my brain But teach me what you know about cars and maybe you guys might be surprised...

Now for more info about me...

Let's just keep me as the

International Woman of Mystery for now
Old 10-05-2003, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Pandamonkey
What exactly are these new limitations?
Not exactly sure about the limitations, just that the waiting periods between license is longer. (ex from 3 to 6 months is now 9 to 12 months for learners) Then I think there's a passenger limitation too that includes immediate family or general passengers. But this effects only people taking their class 7L and their class 7's after October 5/6th
Old 10-05-2003, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by Z28chica
Well lets see...

I'm from the lower mainland, been checking this site out for awhile and finally decided to give in to my temptations. Grew up with mostly all male cousins and uncles who talked about cars and computers and still know hardly anything about them, I guess it's just the estrogen in my body getting to my brain But teach me what you know about cars and maybe you guys might be surprised...

Now for more info about me...

Let's just keep me as the

International Woman of Mystery for now

haha nice nice
Old 10-05-2003, 06:19 PM

Younger sister, eh?
She hot?
Old 10-05-2003, 07:02 PM
Classic Tech Moderator

The logic behind reducing the number of passengers allowed by a new driver is that a young driver behind the wheel of a car load of teens is more likely to show off or drive like a goof. I know I did when I was a new driver and carting my buddies off to get in trouble somewhere
Old 10-05-2003, 07:09 PM

+ i hate driving tons of ppl around, its so stupid... its like ur a damn taxi... i don't understand whats so great about lugging around 4 ppl and get nothing outta it!

that why i bought a 2 seater for my first car.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by mr00jimbo
Younger sister, eh?
She hot?
ya who wants to know?
take a number!
sorry hun you have to get by me first to get to my sister LoL

and she only goes for ricers...
Old 10-05-2003, 08:36 PM

Try the new laws in washington state that have been in effect for like 2yrs now.

Age 15 or older - an instruction permit authorizing driving only while supervised by a licensed driver with at least 5 years of driving experience. Must be at least 15 ½ or actively enrolled in an approved driver's education course.
Age 16 until 18 - an intermediate license that reduces the opportunity for inexperienced drivers to drive in high-risk conditions. Warning letters are sent to drivers that get even one ticket, and drivers who commit two or more driving offenses are suspended from driving.
Age 18 or older - a full privilege driver license.

Washington's Intermediate License law:

Step 1: Before being issued an Intermediate License a teen must:

Hold an instruction permit for at least 6 months
Get at least 50 hours of supervised driving practice - including 10 hours at night
Pass a traffic safety education course.
Not have any traffic violations within 6 months of applying for the license, and
Not have any alcohol or drug offense while holding an instruction permit.

Step 2: Once the Intermediate License is issued:
For the first 6 months, drive with no passengers under the age of 20 unless they are members of the immediate family.
For the remaining period, drive with no more than 3 passengers under the age of 20.
Do not drive between 1:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. unless with a licensed driver age 25 or older. Driving for agricultural purposes is an exception to the late night hours driving restriction.

Step 3: After one year of driving without collisions or traffic citations:
Allowed to drive without limitation as to the time of day or the age and number of passengers
At age 18 the Intermediate Driver License automatically becomes a regular license
And, beginning with step 2 and until age 18:

If a driver commits a driving violation, or violation of license restrictions, the driver is sent a warning letter by the Department of Licensing.
If two driving violations are committed a letter suspending the driver for 6 months (or until age 18, whichever is shorter) is sent to the driver.
For a third driving violation the driver is suspended until age 18.
The driver's parents also receive a copy of any warning or suspension letter sent to the driver.
It should be noted that after a year of driving safely without a driving violation, offense or collision, that the driving restrictions expire and will not be reimposed. However, the driver is still subject to receiving the intermediate license warning letter and license suspension penalties until age 18.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by mr00jimbo
Younger sister, eh?
She hot?
keep your pants on dumbo jimbo

Quick Reply: new limitations for new drivers