Pacific Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington

need some advice from my FRIENDS on this issue...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 09:27 AM

I dont know you either but . . . . . I work with cars every day , just finished getting my tickets etc. Anyways finish school and dont turn your hobbie into a job , it wont be your hobbie for very long

I hear alot of dumb mechanic this , dumb mechanic that . . . . mechanics make ALOT of money . A good flat rate mechanic at a dealership can pull 40 $ an hour constantly in a nice warm invironment 35 $ slacking off . They get payed flat rate . . . 26 bucks an hour plus full benifits , rrsp's , and if they get a 10 hour job done in 6 they still get payed out there 10 hours . Our old mechanic just got dragged back to work for his old dealership because is such a need for good tradesmen . He said no I dont want to commute . . . . they said we will pay you from when you get into the car in the morning until you get to work and back . . . . . He says , well Its alot of wear and tear on my vehicle . . . . Well , we will supply you with a car and full benifits and company retirement package etc etc . Hes just a regular experienced trained technitian and hes worth his weight in gold , anybody can change an o2 sensor

On the same page , my buddie just gradded bcit for an electronics coarse that took forever and cost him a small fortune . Hes now qualified to work on aircraft electronics etc . . . . I cant remember the ticket that he got but It was promised to pay big bucks . . . . guess what . I make way more than him being a "simple" paint tech and Im not even flat rate yet . He cant get a job anywhere because theres too many people for his trade / carreer / whatever fancy name he always calls it . When I was in school , guys from big shops would come buy and hand out cards , free jobs man . By the way a good flate rate painter pulls over 80 G a year in a flate rate shop , a lowsy one 60 G and climbing fast .

Yeah so , get your degree and score a phat job and stay single so you can keep all your $$$ that you make ( making its the easy part , its keeping it thats the hard part ) And have fun .
Old 02-04-2003, 11:37 AM

3 more months is nothing compared to what completed SFU education will bring you later in life.
Old 02-04-2003, 11:59 AM

Everyone faces burnout at university, especially when the end is near (the end of the program, not the world... ). Don't sweat it.

I spent 7-8 years at SFU. I did a Double honours and a masters degree, then I ended up teaching there for 2 years. Believe me, I've seen this a lot. Heck, for the 2 years of my Masters program, I hardly studying a lick... didn't even buy all the text books. Partially, that was because I discovered you don't have to study so hard to get results - no one gives a rat's a$$ if you get an A or a B as a grade (except at school). In the real world (and university is not the real world... not even close), its what you really know that counts. And people will find that out the first time they talk to you.

Just push on through and do the best you can. That's what will show everyone what kind of man you are.

As for work in the future, keep in mind that for most people, it is not possible to combine their passions (hobbies) with their jobs fully. They end up burning themselves up and hating their hobbies in the long run.

I look at it this way. Find work that you are good at and DO like to do - it doesn't have to be associated with your hobbies, but it should give you a sense of accomplishment. But then, keep in mind also that work is a means of contributing to society so that society can pay you back in money... then, you convert that money you earn into the things you really like best in life. Women and cars. Or whatever.

A job should be the means to your ultimate happiness, and in my opinion, not necessarily the source of all your happiness. That's putting too much pressure (via expectations) on both yourself, and what you come to expect from a job. Too high of expectations from a job inevitably leads to dissatisfaction.

Keep it cool man.

PS. remember that one person's philosphy doesn't always work for everyone - if it did, we'd all be driving the same cars, and what a boring world that would be.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:13 PM

Payam,
I know what your feeling, I was out of high school for seven years before I went back and finished my program @ BCIT. I used to say I was trying to figure out what Ireally want to do. Well after seven years of "finding myself" I found out that what I wanted to do was to have million dollar homes on a million dollar islands with all the cars, women, and drink to go with the sun and beaches... and 100ft yachts. Well then reality set in and I realized that at this pace I'll never get there. So I went to school kicking and screaming doing seven classes a semester, two days after I got married and graduated in accounting. So now I'm working on my designation and working as a boreing acountant.

Did I get my dream? HELL NO!!!!, ........ BUt I will, minus the women, because the wife is very possesive It takes a lot of work but we will all get to where we want to get to if youreally do want it. MY dad said something to me once that I laughed at but I should have listend to.. man i hate it when parents are right. He said.."People can and will take away your cars, money, girls and houses, but they can never take away what you know". So the more you know the more you have.
Also, you send you have deadlines, or projects due? How fast does that deadline approach. Man, it's like your prof just gave you the 30 page assignment and its due the next day. If you can picture time running as fast as your ride, then you'll be done in no time. 3 months is NOT enough time, trust me.
And people are right, you can find a job that integrates the high dollars that you'll make for ur education with the high speeds of your car. If not, make the high dollars at work, and blow it on your car. I agree on one thing, when a person makes a hobby their job, they usually end up hating it. Half the fun of having a hobby is finally findin thetime to work on it.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:34 PM

Chris is right... Its about how much you know in the real world... but these days you NEED something to PROVE how much you know.. the ONLY way around that is if you KNOW people

in this world its not what you know, but who you know.

i'm a good example... i know LOTS about computer... and i'm sure most that have met me will agree. I know enough to be a technician by trade... but nooooo, no one will hire me cause I don't have a fancy paper that says i'm certified. Man, I go into computer shops and it takes 10 seconds to outsmart their technicians. They have book smarts, not real smarts.

That pisses me off and wastes my time, but I guess thats life.
that reminds me.. i gotta go apply for school again...
Old 02-04-2003, 08:03 PM

Cars and racing are nothing short of a blast. One thing though, they cost money and so does racing. You'll be glad you finished your college. You'll need the money. It's an addicting hobby, I mean that literally. It's also an expensive hobby. You will be able to have two great cars, one for racing and another daily driver if you want. Three months to go, all you need to do is focus, just like you do when racing. Life is better for those of us who use our brains. This doesn't mean you can't be on the board, just cut your time down. I'm 49 and learned alot over the years and would only want you to do well. Good Luck