Pacific Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington

LS1 Insurance and gas costs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 07:07 PM

LS1 Insurance and gas costs?

Okay now I'm seriously thinking about getting one soon. The lack of power and rear-wheel-drivness is eating away at me. How much are LS1 F-bodies for insurance and gas. My dad will be loaning me alot of money to get one, and I need him be convincing that it's not a bigger money pit than my GTI is. I have a job and am slowly paying him back for the GTi, so I have to make sure the F-body will not exceed in price by too much, hopefully be cheaper to own and maintain. So can anybody let me know how much insuranc eon an LT1/LS1 would be for a 17 year old driver? What about gas? How often do you guys fill up and how far can a tank get you ?
Thanks.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:21 PM

its expensive!

luckily i work pretty close to home so i spend about 100 on gas a month.. maybe 115.

insurance is a bitch though.. a real bitch.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:29 PM

Insurance is really expensive depending on your driving record, insurance alone is gonna be around 3000, and gas (depending on how much and how you drive) isnt all that cheap either, when i drove my car everyday i was spending close to 200 a month on gas.

Like Amit said insurance is a real bitch.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:34 PM

It would be tough to convince anyone that a Camaro will be less of a "money pit" than a VW........

You're looking at some incredible bills if you get into this Jim.

On the plus side - you'll have a kick *** car!
Old 02-24-2004, 07:36 PM

i doubt maintence is gunna be cheaper then ur gti
expecially gas
depends on how much u drive
like if i drive all hwy i usually get around 350-400 tank if i play a bit
its been as bad as 250 a tank
55 litre gas tank so it goes
INsurance on my dads name.. is like 170 month
so its expensive man
Old 02-24-2004, 07:36 PM

this is just my opinion, to help u out, so no flaming, i'm not interested in that

a) 17 w/ an LS1... u may kill urself, 1st and foremost
b) insurance, under ur name = $3000+ at the very MINIMUM, if not closer to $4000, if u have all the junk (which u should, and what, prolly 5% discount)
c) gas, with a 17 yr old driving it hard, everywhere, which u would, will kill any chance of u ever having money to go out...

basically, i've been there, i pay for uni and ****, and work on the weekends, as a waiter, and i can only just make ends meet with a v6... so unless u have no aspirations of post secondary.. and dont think u'll total the car pretty soon (gotta remember RWD is totally different to FWD... it was even a big deal going from a 88hp RWD to a 160hp RWD car, and i spun that off the road), do it...

but if i were u, wait until the end of ur post secondary is in sight, then do it... thats what im doing...
Old 02-24-2004, 07:37 PM

I'd have to double check my info when I get home, but insurance is expensive. I have 43% discount (max) and I believe a full year is still $2000+ for me (and I'm 30+ years old, etc..). But I only insure it for 6-7 months though.

My car is definitely more pig-like in its gas consumption, with the automatic and the big stall, but I still do good. Probaby 18 mpg city and 26 hwy. The stall eats up about 3 mpg city driving, I've found. Get about 400km city and can get 600-700 hwy.

Last edited by Camaro ChriSS; 02-24-2004 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:45 PM

I manage to spend 200+ dollars a month on my GTi every month on gas alone.
My insurance is 3500-ish.
My car has a SMALL tank, so I fill up every 5 days or so, driving it only to school and back, to work and occasionally to get some food.
According to my car (may be busted) I get 13.2 Litres/100 Km City driving. This is grannying it most of the way. Maybe something's wrong with the car, but I don't know.
I'm assuming I'd get an insurance discount for..
If I have an alarm?
If I have the club?
IF I took a ICBC approved driving school?

Any time I show up to a meet, or any time I ride in one of my friend's RWD sporty cars, my heart sinks.
By the end of college I have plans for maybe a business, so I want this car soon. How much are F-body parts? Right now I broke my fold-in cupholder on my GTI, cost 250 bucks for a new one from Germany.
The damn car's trying to kill me!

Does anybody know an insurance agent that could get me an exact quote?
Are Mustangs cheaper to insure? What about other alternatives?
Thanks!
Hope to be the proud owner of an F-body soon.
Just because I'm young doesn't mean I'm going to wreck it. Obviously I know it has alot of power and I'm not going to be gunning it everywhere in the rain or anything like that.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:55 PM

in a stock vette I was getting around 13l/100km in the city, and about 9L/100km on the highway.

with the cam its around 14.5l/100km in the city.

you might get $50/year cheaper insurance with all of those things you listed.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:01 PM

i dont think clubs get any off, nor aftermarket alarms... they're looking for immobilizers... which f-bods have, thus saving u $30 a year, i think... and the driving school.. never heard of that.. if it does, fill us in..

sorry to be a 'glass half empty' kind of guy... but, well... i am...
Old 02-24-2004, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by mr00jimbo
I manage to spend 200+ dollars a month on my GTi every month on gas alone.
My insurance is 3500-ish.
My car has a SMALL tank, so I fill up every 5 days or so, driving it only to school and back, to work and occasionally to get some food.
According to my car (may be busted) I get 13.2 Litres/100 Km City driving. This is grannying it most of the way. Maybe something's wrong with the car, but I don't know.
I'm assuming I'd get an insurance discount for..
If I have an alarm?
If I have the club?
IF I took a ICBC approved driving school?

Any time I show up to a meet, or any time I ride in one of my friend's RWD sporty cars, my heart sinks.
By the end of college I have plans for maybe a business, so I want this car soon. How much are F-body parts? Right now I broke my fold-in cupholder on my GTI, cost 250 bucks for a new one from Germany.
The damn car's trying to kill me!

Does anybody know an insurance agent that could get me an exact quote?
Are Mustangs cheaper to insure? What about other alternatives?
Thanks!
Hope to be the proud owner of an F-body soon.
Just because I'm young doesn't mean I'm going to wreck it. Obviously I know it has alot of power and I'm not going to be gunning it everywhere in the rain or anything like that.
your gas milage sucks.....im getting 13.8 litres/100km in the city....and mines a lt1 vette
Old 02-24-2004, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the honest truth, guys.
In any way I need to replace my car and was looking for an F-body since I was like, 13 years old. Everybody has the one car that catches their eye, and no matter how much they look for alternatives, it brings them back to the one ride. I just don't want another FWD econobox boring thing.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by mr00jimbo
Thanks for the honest truth, guys.
In any way I need to replace my car and was looking for an F-body since I was like, 13 years old. Everybody has the one car that catches their eye, and no matter how much they look for alternatives, it brings them back to the one ride. I just don't want another FWD econobox boring thing.
why don't you just buy a 8000 dollar lt1 and save your dad alot of money......just a thought
Old 02-24-2004, 08:10 PM

i get barely 300 kms to a tank.

and thats with granny driving.

but its all city driving though
Old 02-24-2004, 08:17 PM

The insurance will kick your *** . There was a really funny write up about Fbody and Mustang insurance prices and how the insurance companies decide on what to charge . Basicaly they formulated through past experience that you are GOING to crash because you chose to drive an Fbody and when you DO crash you WILL take ALOT of people with you lol

ChriSS is on th emark with his insurance quote. My Ls1 costs 218.00 a month with 43% plus a 2500 $ deductable , 276.00 ish a month with regular deductable.

Gas is pricey because your buying 92 - 94 octain ( If you love your LS1 ) and theres no way your not going to get on it all the time its hella fun . . . . besides if your not going to hammer it keep the golf . Id say 200 a month easy in fuel .

You should consider an older fix er upper . When my Ta's on the road it costs me 1200.00 a month to own and maintain . Double that if you want to mod it .

Last edited by Tw!tchb!tch; 02-24-2004 at 08:20 PM.

Quick Reply: LS1 Insurance and gas costs?