Pacific Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington

Join us! Mission Raceway - Mission B.C. CA - Pace car event, car show, raffle prizes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 10:33 PM

Join us! Mission Raceway - Mission B.C. CA - Pace car event, car show, raffle prizes.

April 30th 2006 - Camarosource.ca and it's members (whoever wishes to participate) has been invited to be in the "Resist The Race" event at Mission Raceway Park in April organized by Mission Race Way and the RCMP Vancouver Police Department, pacing the track with the police and pace car.

Info: http://www.camarosource.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7412

Reg form : http://www.camarosource.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8614
Old 03-22-2006, 11:27 PM

Re: Join us! Mission Raceway - Mission B.C. CA - Pace car event, car show, raffle prizes.

I'll register and send my forms tomorrow.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2006, 10:32 AM

Re: Join us! Mission Raceway - Mission B.C. CA - Pace car event, car show, raffle prizes.

what a lame idea ... be on a race track but not race ?! I pace the street on the way to work everyday ...

If i still had a camaro, Id probably come there, blow by the cop car and watch him try to give me a speeding ticket on a race course.

Last edited by sideways_Into_3rd; 03-23-2006 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:34 AM

I read the other posts and I still don't understand? This gives true meaning to " Race the street, cruise the track", LOL!!
Old 03-23-2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by sideways_Into_3rd
what a lame idea ... be on a race track but not race ?! I pace the street on the way to work everyday ...

If i still had a camaro, Id probably come there, blow by the cop car and watch him try to give me a speeding ticket on a race course.

I see. Have you ever BEEN on a track? I mean EVER.

I figure for $10 its cheap way to run around the track, practise some heal- toe shifting, explore 'the line', and watch some other cars race.

Certainly not a "lame" idea even if you are not interested.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:38 PM

you wont get to explore any lines or practice any heal toes at 50 km / hr following a pace car!

It's gonna be as exciting as walking an autox course

heal tow on your way to work ! and experience the line on empty highway onramps

If im going on a race track I wanna race

Last edited by sideways_Into_3rd; 03-23-2006 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by sideways_Into_3rd
you wont get to explore any lines or practice any heal toes at 50 km / hr following a pace car!

It's gonna be as exciting as walking an autox course

heal tow on your way to work ! and experience the line on empty highway onramps

If im going on a race track I wanna race
Old 03-24-2006, 04:32 PM

HAHAHA I'm with Payam on this one 100% It almost seems now days that people have to join events just to drive their cars. It's almost looks as stupid as people bringing out their cars to the dyno and blowing up first run, or the track. Like what the HELL! Don't you drive it hard on the street first atleast 10 runs before bringing it to the dyno/track?

LOL
Old 03-24-2006, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by 97TA-WS6-Con
I see. Have you ever BEEN on a track? I mean EVER.

I figure for $10 its cheap way to run around the track, practise some heal- toe shifting, explore 'the line', and watch some other cars race.

Certainly not a "lame" idea even if you are not interested.
Just a few comments from someone who:
1. Drives a T56 LS1 on the street daily, including across Nevada and Arizona desert highways at warp speeds...
2. Owns the Lap Record at Mission for 'C' Production, which is the class where almost all of the streetable F-Bodies at this event would be entered in a 'real' race...
3. Will be racing my 3rd Gen TA in the 1-hour Westcoast Sportscar Championship event right after the track tour...
4. Has been watching these track tours since their inception a few years back...

The so-called 'Slow Pace Car' will drive slowly to let drivers learn the track, and let everyone's tires clean up and warm up so that you won't have to explain to your bank's loan officer why you need big bucks for a new car or extensive body work on the following Monday..

The pace will then get faster until those hard, crappy DOT-legal street tires on the street wheel alignments (certainly not the -3* camber I use!) are maxed out...

Then the pace car will slow it all down before the 'red mist' takes over, a-la-Sideways, and people can go home with a good appreciation of what Road Racing might be like, and the limitations of their rides in that environment.

Don't show up if you're certain you know all that is needed of your skills and your car. Smoking your buddy's Mustang at a light, or a few exits or entrances to a freeway doesn't even begin to examine what's out there. But if you want to save your car and your ego, sign up and try a few minutes of controlled high speed driving where skill and safety are as important as the size of your mouth or wallet.

Yep, I have a firesuit, so flame on!
Old 03-24-2006, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Black Robe
of what Road Racing might be like,
That's the problem! No one is interested in what things "might be like". Most of us don't have F-Body's to see what they "might" be like, or how they "might" perform. I certainly don't own 2 f-bod's to see what they "might" be like.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by NiteRider
That's the problem! No one is interested in what things "might be like". Most of us don't have F-Body's to see what they "might" be like, or how they "might" perform. I certainly don't own 2 f-bod's to see what they "might" be like.

Well, as I said, if you're certain you can take your SS to the limits, with nothing more to learn, then go your own way, I hope you survive your passion, SS's can be replaced. Sideways obviously has it all figured out too, which is quite remarkable considering his past adventures at Mission, and no F-body to drive now in any case. Some reasonable people might still conclude that racing their cars on the street OR on the track is dangerous and expensive and they might want to explore their car's limits with a safety net. Why discourage them?
Old 03-24-2006, 11:10 PM

Having spent three days and $2400 USD at a race driving school in Vegas, $10 seems a worthy investment to find out for myself what a few laps around Mission would be like.

To each his own I guess. I'd LOVE to track race, I just have to get the courage to take my car on the track and not worry about putting it in a wall.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by 97TA-WS6-Con
I'd LOVE to track race, I just have to get the courage to take my car on the track and not worry about putting it in a wall.
See me at the track, we'll get you into something a little more comfortable!
Old 03-25-2006, 06:09 AM

To each his own as stated, I like it all, but I just don't see a point in driving 50k/h if that is the case as Sideways stated. I like Mission, but I am scared to a certain point, I can't afford another F-body if it was to go into the wall. Once you start making power you don't want to have something go wrong, especialy now days with oil/coolant on the track and then they blame you if you hit the wall. Atleast if I gun in on the street (no cars around of coarse) I feel safer since I feel the street is much more consistent for traction then the track is. However, say something was to happen, there is always ICBC for the street, and your own wallet for the track.

BTW, the last time I went, what scared me the most is I was in 3rd geat, about 5000rpm and all of the sudden the tires broke loose and the rear headed for the wall, obviously I went over something, now this wasn't just me, there was something on the track I'm sure because there was no sings before the tires broke loose. I know if it was a power band thing you can feel it before it happens, this was something on the track.

Now I'll never forget what the guy giving me the wave down said, he pulled me over just after the race (before the timeslip booth) and says "you may want to fix your car before you run again". I"m like "F*CK YOU!, fix you ****ty track! I almost lost it on this a$$hole, their dirty track almost made me loose my car, I'm already ****ting myself, and this a$$wipe has the nerve to tell me this.

This got me thinking, had something of happened, now you know what they would say. It's never their fault, and if it is, too bad you loose the car anyways. So now I hope you can see where I'm coming from.

The best is when you organize a private test&tune event, when it's daylight and you see everything on the track, and there is no fall aparts attending the event. I remember back in 2001 I believe a bunch of us went, what a day to remember, NOW THAT was an event!

Last edited by bunker; 03-25-2006 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:47 AM

Just to clarify things a bit Matt, the road course uses no part of the racing surface for drag racing. Turn nine puts the road cars onto the track's overrun area which is well past the finish line and shut down area. This is one of the things you would find out during the track tour. Thanks for making my point! Check out the map at www.sccbc.net on the Track Facts page.

Quick Reply: Join us! Mission Raceway - Mission B.C. CA - Pace car event, car show, raffle prizes.