Pacific Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington

Insulation under carpet ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 03:29 PM

Question Insulation under carpet ??

Anybody remove this . Does it just come off . I dont meen the stuff stuck / glued to the floor but the crap on the back of the carpet . Supposed to be worth 25 # ish .
Old 08-12-2003, 07:37 PM

never had a 4th gen carpet out. Some underlay are bonded to the carpet, some arent. If it is bonded its just a matter of tearing it off. You wont tear the carpet. If you have any of that sticky tarpaper stuff get rid of it. Its sooooooo heavy. If its 25lbs I bet its only the felt stuff though.
CoryM
Old 08-12-2003, 07:41 PM

Your car should be a poster child for weight watchers
Old 08-12-2003, 08:22 PM

Your car should be a poster child for weight watchers
I like my girls skinny
Old 08-12-2003, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by Tw!tchb!tch
I like my girls skinny
mmmmmMMmmmm...
Old 08-13-2003, 12:34 AM

It comes off fairly easy
Old 08-13-2003, 11:21 AM

If it's not attached to

a) the engine (including fuel systems, water systems)
b) the steering
c) the brakes
d) the suspension

REMOVE IT!

I yanked my tar a long time ago... I took out 18 lbs, and that's from a teeny CRX!

FWIW brake cleaner removes tar residue quite quickly Just a helpful tip from someone who's wallowed in dirt, tar and sweat before
Old 08-13-2003, 11:27 AM

we dont have tar under our carpets

to remove ur carpet u have to take out ALL interior panels .. i've dont this many many times and am very good at it

u can peel the sound deadener off the bottom of ur carpet . the carpet IS pretty heavy

i can lend u a hand in this project if u want .. i wanna hear the car before and after and weigh the difference myself .. hell maybe i'll yank mine too while im at it
Old 08-13-2003, 02:04 PM

The back seat is out and I cleaned it all up , vacume etc . It looks surprisingly nice under there once I got the matted down carpet sitting uniformly ( is that even a word ) I cant beleive how much more usefull that area is now , so much room anyways , Ive dropped enough weight I have to lower my rear some more so thats the next project , Ill kick it down another 1/8 th inch and take a better look at the carpet .

Total weight reduction since mission apox 120 #
Old 08-13-2003, 02:28 PM

u need traction .. not weight reduction
Old 08-13-2003, 03:47 PM

Bah !! . I hook good on the street for what I need to do . . . k maybe not good but alot better . This winter Im having my rear wheels sliced up and throwing some fatass dr's out back to solve my traction issues . I want my car 3300 # 3460 raceweight with full nitrous bottle and all .

. . . I have to pull alot of weight from the front of the car and change the dampening , maybe even the spring rate out back so it hunkers down and corners as close to 50 50 as possible . Im not concerned with the typical drag racing stuff ie load transfer out of the hole . Ive been spending alot ( too much ) time reading in the ax / road race forums and looking at pics and it finally makes sence the way the fbodys corner hard and the *** end sucks down soo low . Thats how they transfer weight to negotiate hard turns with as close to equal load and tire patch as possible . For the most part fbodys want to corner on there front lead tire . My car does this also , i can feel it going into a bend at 120 - 140 . It is especially noticeable if you go into a bend too hot and allow the car to decell ( let off the gas ) causing an added shift in weight transfer . The front tire will start to push a bit when you go that little bit too far . If you can get the back down low to suck up a bigger % of the load you will be able to hit that corner sooooo much harder and maintain a higher G for longer . Its the same reason it likes to enter a corner mellow and power its way through . My suspension loves 200 + . . . . if I could only get it to love 200 + into a hairpin
Old 08-13-2003, 03:51 PM

If it's not attached to

a) the engine (including fuel systems, water systems)
b) the steering
c) the brakes
d) the suspension

REMOVE IT!
Old 08-13-2003, 04:44 PM

Twitch, I don't think lowering the car is going to affect the weight transfer that much, esp if you're on coilovers... you're gonna hafta play with the shock or spring rates.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by Tw!tchb!tch
The back seat is out and I cleaned it all up , vacume etc . It looks surprisingly nice under there once I got the matted down carpet sitting uniformly ( is that even a word ) I cant beleive how much more usefull that area is now , so much room
Yeah, I've had my back seats out occasionally too. Think I might do it permanently for the same reasons. Lighter weight and MUCH improved space. I never carry anyone back there anyways. All I'm looking to do is tear the leather by leaving them there when I through something back there!!
Old 08-13-2003, 05:52 PM

Twitch, I don't think lowering the car is going to affect the weight transfer that much, esp if you're on coilovers... you're gonna hafta play with the shock or spring rates.
Yup your right , just dont want the bum end all pokin up in the air

Quick Reply: Insulation under carpet ??