Pacific Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington

Importing a car - my recent experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 11:09 AM

Importing a car - my recent experience

Ok, so I bought a 2000 C5 black/oak convertible, 6 speed, with all the option minus CD-changer. The car has 30 000 miles on it, and is in mint condition. I can find nothing wrong with it except a couple of paint chips and a small scratch under the rear license plate.

I paid $28,500 USD which worked out to $37 000 CAD.

The car was in Detroit, Michigan, and the guy was selling cause his wife was about to have a baby. He had a lien on the car, so I had to work hard to convince my bank to give me a secured loan. Most banks will balk at giving a secured loan on an American car, especually one that already has a lien on it. They took a risk on me, but I was friends with the banker so that helped.

So once I had the loan, I made out the money order to the owner + the bank - always make it out to both so you can ENSURE that the money goes to paying off the lien! Once I had the money order in hand, I booked my flights and train transportation, and double checked with the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV, at www.riv.ca) that my car was eligible for importation - some cars are not!

The next step was to buy a binder of insurance from ICBC, which covered me for 10 days, even in the US. Cost me about 100 bucks for full coverage.

The trickiest part is getting the title to US customs. They need the title faxed or couriered to them 72 BUSINESS DAY hours before you bring the car over the border so they can check to see if it is stolen. ALso, you have to make sure you fax this to the CORRECT inspection facility. Always call US customs to find out exactly where to export the car, and what number to fax the title to. My car had a lien on it, so that was on the title, and I had to make sure i had a lien termination letter from the sellers' bank as soon as I paid off his loan, and have the banker sign off the lien stamp on the title.

OK, so 72 hours before I left for Detroit, I had faxed the owners' title to US customs, booked all my flights, had m insurance, and had the money order in hand ready to go. Fast forward to the day I bought the car.

I crossed into the US at Windsor, and went through a lengthy check where they examined my money order etc. After that, I had the test drive and everything was fine so we went to the bank. I presented the Money Order, they verified the funds, paid off the loan, and printed the lien release letter and signed it on THEIR BANK LETTERHEAD. THey also signed off the lien stamp on the ORIGINAL COPY of the title. Then I had the seller sign over the title of the car to me, and sign a Bill of Sale, and an Odometer Accuracy statement. If any mistakes, scratch-outs, white out, etc. are on the title then the title is void! be very careful filling it out. If you void it you have to get a fresh title from the Secretary of State office. After al the forms, the car was mine, and it was time to export the car at US customs.

I went to the inspection facility, right near the border, and waited in line for 30 minutes with a bunch of trucker dudes. I told the customs inspector, I was exporting a car, they found the fax I sent 72 hours prior, stamped the copy and the original title, and sent me off within 5 minutes to the border.

I crossed over to Canada Customs, where they took the Title that was stamped by US customs, check the Bill of Sale, and filled out a big form. This took about 15 minutes, where they check to make sure the care is eligible for import. Then they made me pay the Importation fee which covers paperwork and federal inspection (about 200 bucks), a $100 excise tax for air conditioning, and 7% GST. The total came to about $2700 CAD.

Next, I was in Canada and had to get a temp permit for the car - even tho I had insurance. So I went to the nearest licensing office and got my temp tag, then drove on to TOronto where it went on a train.

Once the car arrived in Vancouver, I booked the Provincial inspection with BCAA for the same day (I am a BCAA member so it was cheap). This is basically a VI, , and the car passed. I then had everything I needed to register and insure the car with ICBC - I didnt even have to go through aircare! Unfortunately this is where you pay the PST, even if the sale was private - this came to another $2600 or so, plus the cost of insurance which for me is $260/month for full coverage.

THere is one more step for me to go through and that is the Federal inspection. This checks things like Daytime Running lights, child tether strap, etc. You also need a Recall Clearance letter at the inspection stating that there are NO open recall campaigns on your car. You can get this from the seller before the sale, or call GM (or whoever makes the car) and give them the VIN so that they can mail you this letter.

Cliff notes:

1. Arrange money
2. Get a binder of insurance for the dates you will drive the car
3. Get any other insurance for states/provinces that the binder doesnt apply to
4. Fax copy of title to the CORRECT US customs inspection facility 72 hours in advance
4. pick up car, and make sure to get any liens officialy terminated, the title signed over, and a bill of sale/odometer accuracy statement completed and signed. Make no mistakes on the title or it is void!
5. Export the car at US customs. If you dont', you could find yourself trapped in the US if you drive the car down there.
6. Import the car at Canada Customs. If the tax amount is large, you might need to pay by money order -0 they dont accept big amounts by cheque or credit card. Call and ask!
7. Get a temp permit in any states/provinces you drive thru (luckily Michigan you can drive without plates for 3 days if you are driving straight to a place of storage - in my case this was Canada!) when you get back to BC, you will need a temp permit + insurance - the binder of insurance doesnt cover you in BC or so I was told.
8. Complete the Provincial inspection. Call ICBC for locations
9. If it passes, register and insure the car! if it fails, fix and pass
10. You have 45 days from date of import to complete the federal inspection. If you do not, they will seize your car and export or destroy it.

TIPS: Drive over the border on a weekday during business hours if the seller had a lien on the car. THe customs might want to call the bank to verify everything - has to be done when the bank is open!

Any questions?

Last edited by Draco; 12-07-2003 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:53 AM

So you paid $37 000 + $2700 importation fee + $2600 PST = $42300.
Not including extra costs for various paperwork, insurance, flights, train and other little things.........(food, accomadation and time ie - time is money)

I would guess that you looked extensively for a deal on a Vette in Canada already but were unable to find one under the above costs. Right?

Congrats again man!
Old 12-07-2003, 12:00 PM

Yeah there werent too many used convertibles for sale in Canada.

There was one local 99 with twice the mileage, fewer options, no exhaust and no stereo system and they wanted 50 000 CAD....

There was a Toronto 99 also with even more mileage, same story on options, and they wanted 40k CAD. I would have had to pay GST and PST on top of that also, so I came out way ahead and I have a newer car with more options and less mileage .
Old 12-07-2003, 02:15 PM

Glad to see you got everythning done nice and easy Craig. Enjoy and respect the new ride and feel free too take me for a ride
Later
Mike
Old 12-07-2003, 02:30 PM

sounds like a lot of work making sure everything is lined up. but for the price you paid it sounds like it is worth it. sweet car by the way love those colors.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:14 PM

Wow, that does sound like a lot of work. But good job, you nailed everything right the first time through and now you got a beautiful drop top C5, that's awesome!

So how long did the whole process take you? From arranging everything to getting everything into place (insured and inspected and everything)? Also, where did you get all the forms? Like the Odometer Statement and Bill of Sale and that stuff. Last question, did you have to make any changes/tuning yourself to the car to get it to past inspection? Thx.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:15 PM

Hey man thats awsome congrats..im jellous
Old 12-07-2003, 09:43 PM

Once again congrats...awesome news - you deserve it!
Old 12-08-2003, 07:11 AM

This is invaluable info Craig, thanks. You did your homework, got a great deal on a great car and now you reep the rewards. I printed this thread cause I don't want to forget anything if I go your route. I think you might have started a trend here. Our dollar has gone up 20% since early last year. You can save that money in your pocket. I remember about 10 or 15 years ago lots of people bought and imported their cars from the states. Then our dollar crashed rendering these deals obsolete. But now is the time to buy american and look at the choices. Ten times the population means ten times the amount of cars to choose from. I hope you don't mind if I ask you questions once I start the process? Congrats again on a super deal. I'm already searching for the best vet deal I can find down south. I have to find it before Payam does.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:19 AM

Wow... quite the process.
Congrats.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:36 AM

I actually sold my Red Durango in the spring of '02 to a guy from Seattle.

The $$ was real low and I made about a extra $4000 net from selling it myself.

It cost me $1300 to have a car broker do all the paperwork including changing the instrument panel.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:04 PM

Congrats man......and to think I got stressed out over buying my car from Alberta.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:48 PM

Thanks alot man. That is tons of very good info. My pops was thinkin of getting a car from Cali and was askin about the WHOLE process, and now I can just show him this.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by Jacks_Z28
Wow, that does sound like a lot of work. But good job, you nailed everything right the first time through and now you got a beautiful drop top C5, that's awesome!

So how long did the whole process take you? From arranging everything to getting everything into place (insured and inspected and everything)? Also, where did you get all the forms? Like the Odometer Statement and Bill of Sale and that stuff. Last question, did you have to make any changes/tuning yourself to the car to get it to past inspection? Thx.

It took about 10 hours of planning, plus the time to actually get the car and do the inspections. Lots of that was me quadruple checking everything. The actual trip to Detroit took up 2 full days.

I wrote some of the forms myself. I can send them to whoever is interested.

No changes were necessarry for the provincial inspection. Not sure about the federal one yet cuz I havent taken it .

If any of you guys have specific questions, feel free to ask. Every situation is different, but I think mine was a tough one (given the lien on the car and the distance involved) so I can probably answer.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:53 AM

man i registered just for this thread. lol. cuz im setting up the same thing but i don't know the very details. like cost for everything and how to get things modified such as the instrumen panel or what does the provincial and federal inspection include....etc.
where did u get all these info dude? mind tell me? of if u don't mind, maybe help me a lil before hand so i know what i have to do. can i contact u through email or IM or something??PM me info if u don't mind.
hate to have it imported and everything then b stuck at the inspection or even stuck at the border..... :S
thanks!

Quick Reply: Importing a car - my recent experience