Pacific Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington

Front Liscence Plate

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 09:53 AM

I have an SLP mounting bracket that I just put up against the front somewhere but it will still look really ugly. I can try and cut it too but I dont really want to. Thanks for all your experiences and I try some of your ideas.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by BPS
my compromise
My son tried that, he got charged with modify or tampering with the plate. I can't remember the charge or the amount, I will ask him when I see him next time.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:29 PM

No plate here , ****em Ill pay the fine
Old 04-19-2004, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by Tw!tchb!tch
No plate here , ****em Ill pay the fine
Old 04-19-2004, 04:42 PM

I insist on keeping my front plate spotlessly clean.... that's why its in the garage... right next to the two liscence plate holder brackets.

Came off about a week after the car was mine... in May 2000. Since then I've been pulled over "a few" times and only once did they mention the plate. Even then, he gave out some "correction notice" thing I had to get signed by a trooper within 7 days and mail it back proving I had mounted the plate. With no DMV record (this isn't a warning notice from a ticket pad, its a separate thing the officer issuing the ticket has to track and follow-up on himself) I've still got a "first time free" excuse if I should get a real ticket in the future.

The only reason for a front plate IMO is for that damn money-grab they call photo-radar. Since WA doesn't have PR (although BC and Oregon do ) I fail to see the point... other than wasting tax-payer dollars.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:58 PM

I've been pulled over 3 times in 5 years for not having the front plate on my car. The 3rd time resulted in an $80 fine, or close to it. All the other times that I've been pulled over, which has been several, the cop didn't even mention it. I've been given crap at the emissions station as well. Never had any problems driving to or from Canada. I purchase a bracket, but it is in the garage. I kept the plate in my windshield for a while, but realized how dangerous that could be should I be in an accident. Now, it is under my seat.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:49 PM

I've been pulled over on the freeway once for no front plate.

He also got me for my license plate bracket on the rear plate that reads "5.0 Liter Eater"

I carry the front plate with me in the hatch all the time just in case - I also had my tools with me as that I was coming from work.
I was able to fix both problems right in front of him.
No ticket.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:23 PM

I have my front plate in my car, in back, just in case. Still has the original tags on it, so it is well expired. I have not had a front plate on my personal main ride since 1986. Wife's car, yeah. Pickup, yeah. The rest, nope.
My '88 Camaro has never had a plate on it. The T/A had one when I drove it off the lot used. A few blocks later it fell off. The holes in the nose left by the mounting bracket were ugly, but not nearly as fugly as a front plate on a 3rd or 4th gen T/A.

I have never had any problems w/o my plate. I have been pulled over maybe 5 times in my Camaro, and never had a cop mention it. Got oulled over last November in the T/A for doing 50 in a 30mph zone. No comment on the plate and no ticket for speeding. I like lady motorcycle cops!

On the other hand, a few of my friends absolutely hated me. Cops would pass me, then pull them over for no front plate. One guy got pulled over three times in one weekend for no front plate. Custom lowered '79 Toy pickup with wild graphics; I'm sure that's why.

I have seen a few custom cars with the front plate painted on. You couldn't tell it was a fake until you got within 10 feet of it. That will be as close as I ever get to permanently mounting a front plate to my T/A.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:49 PM

BPS: Of course you're not going to get a ticket. You've only driven your car 3 times in the last 3 years.

Pandamonkey: What did the cop charge you with for the 5 L eater bracket frame?

Steve in Seattle: No photo radar in BC
Old 04-21-2004, 12:53 AM
BPS

Originally posted by Gord's Green Z28
BPS: Of course you're not going to get a ticket. You've only driven your car 3 times in the last 3 years.
not true - I've been out at least 4 times
Old 04-21-2004, 01:40 AM

Never been harrassed over no front plate on my bird and I've been pulled over a few times. I have that SLP license plate cover brand new, no good here cause it covers the insurance sticker at the bottem. Anybody wanna buy it? I agree with others here that the front plate looks like hell and I'll pay the fine if that's the way the cops want to be. :blah:
Old 04-21-2004, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by Drumhawk
Never been harrassed over no front plate on my bird and I've been pulled over a few times. I have that SLP license plate cover brand new, no good here cause it covers the insurance sticker at the bottem. Anybody wanna buy it? I agree with others here that the front plate looks like hell and I'll pay the fine if that's the way the cops want to be. :blah:
how much do u want for it? the SLP plate cover thingee
Old 04-22-2004, 10:50 AM

Personally, I've got better things to do with the $109 for the no front plate ticket price.

As for altering the plate, a charge under section 74 of the Motor Vehicle Act means a mandatory court appearance, not a ticket.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by ianwells100
how much do u want for it? the SLP plate cover thingee
They sell for $10.00 US from SLP, save the exchange, shipping, duty and tax on this one, you can have it for a purple note, you pick-up.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:14 AM

Originally posted by Drumhawk
They sell for $10.00 US from SLP, save the exchange, shipping, duty and tax on this one, you can have it for a purple note, you pick-up.
u got a deal... next time we could meet up, or whatever, we'll sort that out

Quick Reply: Front Liscence Plate