Pacific Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington

Anyone know a cop? i got a Q

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 02:31 AM

Anyone know a cop? i got a Q

I am thinking maybe of being a cop as a future career; it looks fun! What i'd LOVE to do is bust teenager's parties!! It would be wicked fun to have the patty wagon and the dogs there while you bust in and take everyone home to mommy and daddy all drunk!
Anyways, i was wondering if there's some kind of ride-a-long program i can be in to ride around with a cop or two for a night to see what they get up to. Any info will be appreciated as to wheather this is possible or not!
Old 02-16-2003, 02:32 AM

now we should begin to worry....
Old 02-16-2003, 10:44 AM

I think Ken knows one
Old 02-16-2003, 10:59 AM

I think they used to do ride alongs That would be a cool career choice for sure . They definatly have a tough job though , dealing with the bottom percentage of society over and over and getting no respect from the new generation of skid ball , wanna be ghetto kids . I would love to beat some ghetto kids
Old 02-16-2003, 12:08 PM

If I could be a cop, which i dont wanna be other than maybe for a day... i'd definately pick being a highway patrol officer.. handing out speeding tickets, and driving a Camaro.. that'd be fun
Old 02-16-2003, 12:08 PM

Here in Portland we have alot of cops come and go. Seemed like they would enjoy the work and found otherwise. I wouldn't go by what you see on tv too much. After having a girlfriend who was an ex cop I learned it can be a pretty boring job. She drove a cruiser and said she just got tired of it. Dealing with scumbags doesn't sound too appealing to me. Nor does wondering if the next stop I make is going to be some psycho. It's not for everybody. I'm sure alot of macho people thought they could enjoy it and found out it wasn't like they thought. One good point though is you get to speed without getting a ticket.
Old 02-16-2003, 01:06 PM

the only cops i know are the ones that pulled me over
Old 02-16-2003, 02:48 PM

Bieng a cop is definately not as fun as it looks. They do have ride-alongs here, check into it in your area and see if you like it
Old 02-16-2003, 03:44 PM

You have to have a clear record - and so does just about everyone you know, with the exception of your family.
RCMP will conduct interviews with everyone you know and everyone they know. Your immediate family isn't counted against you because can pick your friends but not your family.
You have to do quite a bit of volunteer work before they will do an interview. Being 16 right now, you'll have to wait 2 years as that the minimum age is 18........
Police officers are more disrespected now than ever before, and the pay is similar to that of a tradesman with more bullcrap envolved. Lotsof paperwork and less glory than you may think.

On the other hand, the amount of people wanting to go into this line of work is decreasing every year and all the older officers are retireing with nice looking pensions right now............if it's what you really want to do, then good for you!
Old 02-16-2003, 03:47 PM

i dont know many cops .. but many cops know me
Old 02-16-2003, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by sideways_Into_3rd
i dont know many cops .. but many cops know me
Your right man, I saw a photo of your car taped to the dash of several Oregon State Patrol cars
Old 02-16-2003, 04:37 PM

Thumbs up

Talk to Phil from this board, he'll certainly have some helpful info for you as he has recently gone throught this .

Good luck.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:18 PM

its fun if you don't want to be free of the ghetto, being a cop makes you be part of the ghetto which isn't my thing at all.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:46 PM

I really wanna do some teenager party bustin' if i was a cop!
Just show up in plainclothes and watch someone pick a fight with you, pull a knife, then *voila* 40 officers bust in with Glocks pointing in every direction. I'll be soo flamed for that, but it sounds sooo cool!
And so what if i dont get some action one night? I'd get paid to drive around!
Old 02-19-2003, 11:10 PM

you get to retire in like 25 years. but dont forget you are a cop 24 hours a day even after you punch out. Your freinds wont forget. It is a pretty thankless job and you gotta look at dead babies and such this is why I am not a cop And why I try to be nice to them no matter how pissed I am

Quick Reply: Anyone know a cop? i got a Q