who all is from Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:20 PM

Winnipeg here.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by transamtom
Try this one on,this was in todays Toronto Sun Newspaper:

http://www.torontosun.com/news/colum.../12859936.html

President Barack Obama’s proposed budget of $3.8 trillion puts every other budget to shame – a deficit of nearly $1.6 trillion, which is roughly 10.5% of the whole U.S. economy.

Last week Congress okayed another $1.9 trillion added to the national debt, now some $14.3 trillion.

The projected deficit is close to four times greater than the $450 billion deficit of 2008, and will stay in the trillion-dollar range for three or four years unless the unforeseen happens — as it often does. Yet the economy is said to be recovering. Hmm!

For comparison’s sake, Canada’s last budget of around $225 billion had deficit of something like $36 billion — peanuts to the U.S.’s $1.6 trillion deficit.

Most of us cannot imagine how large a trillion dollars is.

One way of envisioning it is to imagine how long it would take you to spend a trillion dollars by spending $1,000 a day.

Consider:

By spending $1,000 a day, it would take close to three years to spend a million dollars. To spend a billion dollars at this rate would take 3,000 years. To spend a trillion dollars at $1,000 a day would take three million years.

That gives an idea of just how huge a trillion dollars is.

So how can Americans handle a $1.6-trillion deficit that adds to the national debt? And how can it afford to keep boosting defence spending (now approaching $1 trillion) and spending roughly another $1 trillion on reforming health care?

America’s unemployment rate of more than 10% exceeds the Obama administration’s prediction of 8.5% (Canada’s unemployment ratio), but when taking into account those who’ve given up looking for work, unemployment in the U.S. is probably over 17%.

Not encouraging. None of this means that the U.S. is on the ropes, but it does mean the administration should adjust and pay attention to Republican proposals.

A reason why Canada has weathered the recession so admirably is because of the discipline and cautious conservatism of Canadian banks, all of which show profits. In the U.S., 140 banks collapsed in 2009, compared to 11 that failed in the previous five years.

Blessed with only five major banks, Canadians find it inconceivable they might ever lose their deposits. Canadian banks simply don’t fail — or haven’t failed in the lifetime of most citizens.

The U.S. administration’s admiration (and envy) of Canada’s health care system is comforting to Canadians who relish anything of theirs being appreciated. But by making health care seemingly “free” (which it isn’t), Canada has opted to forego other aspects of running a country.

As a matter of policy, in order to afford universal health care, Canada has opted out of adequate defence spending. It relies on American defence for protection, knowing that the U.S. has no option but to protect Canada if necessary.

The U.S. (generally) respects Canadian sovereignty (within limits), and mutual friendship is not threatened by periodic bickering. Put simply, the U.S. cannot afford to keep the military it does, and finance Canadian-style health care.

Canada made its choice, the U.S. made its — but the Obama administration seems bent on trying to implement both at once. It can’t. And the free world needs a militarily strong America more than Americans need Canadian-style health care.

It is as simple as that.
Don't agree with that article one bit. Can't say anything without turning this into a political thread but I will say the U.S. should back down and force the U.N. to take a more active role than it currently does.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:31 AM

I'm from Barrie too.

I'm from Barrie Ontario. We should have a ontario meet this spring. Maybe at the AMC parking lot.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:52 AM

Toronto here.

Been here for a while now.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:32 PM

Toronto.

I'm down for a meet up. Going to be at the TFBM event in July?
Old 04-25-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by ReaperWS6
Toronto.

I'm down for a meet up. Going to be at the TFBM event in July?
At the Auto X. I should be.

We are also having an event earlier on... a BBQ and Dyno Day on June 13th at Rev'n High.

Should be a fun day... with lots of car stuff to do.

BTW... Nice job with the black salad shooters. I want to do that same finsih to a set of Envoy Rims I have for my Trailblazer for the winter. Stock looks like crap.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:35 PM

I'm not a member but I should sign up. I would like to know more about the dyno day. I should have my car ready by then. I can't wait to see what it will make.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:09 PM

Some more info on this post at the TFBM site. http://forums.tfbm.org/index.php?t=msg&th=6856&start=0&

A far as signing up for the club... it'd be good to get discounts at events, access to members section, cheaper parts, etc. I think it's $30 if I'm not mistaken.

Either way... you should come out. We need some LT1's representing. I don't think I'll be putting mine on the dyno as I've already tuned it and don't want to waste any nitrous not racing.

The dyno that we are using is a really good one though... I've tuned a few LT1's on it. It's a Mustang Dyno, so the #'s are lower than a Dynojet... but a better system for real world tuning. http://www.dragonwerks.ca/index.html
Old 04-25-2010, 07:15 PM

Thanks. I actually didn't paint the rims but yes they are 10x better then stock. Gives the old shooters attitude I think.

My car personally has been dyno'd already and put down what's in my sig. I'm adding Pacesetter headers, magnaflow cats and either keeping my Borla catback or running a Powerstick chambered muffler in the I-pipe. In the future when this motor decides to wear out and smoke, I want to build a fresh 355 bottom end with a set of LE2 heads & cam. Get me around 380whp with the other mods and be a good street performer.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:26 PM

It would be nice to get the high hp in the power adder class. I'm going to be running 10lbs of boost until I find someone to dyno tune it. I'm hopping for 550whp @ 10lbs. I need to find someone who knows how to tune an LT1. Then she goes up to 15lbs.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by stephenpen
It would be nice to get the high hp in the power adder class. I'm going to be running 10lbs of boost until I find someone to dyno tune it. I'm hopping for 550whp @ 10lbs. I need to find someone who knows how to tune an LT1. Then she goes up to 15lbs.
Tuning OBD1 LT1's is my specialty. Most guys do LSx stuff and may dabble in LT1's. I found that not many will spend the time/effort on messing with LT1 stuff for very long. We can chat at the BBQ.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:34 PM

I wouldn't mind getting some info as well. Buddy of mine used TunerCat. How well would that get my car running? I'm new to the tuning world but would love to learn.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:37 PM

It's not as much about the program... but the programming. If you'd like to learn... start reading all the stuff in the Tuning section of this site. Very good resource. Then there is a lot of trial an error as well.

You'll also need Data logging and a few other small programs to round it out. (ie. vemaster, etc.)

May be best to get the car tuned right the first time... use the program and make changes/tweaks as you change the combo afterwards. Starting from scratch will take a lot longer, and you may not get 100% of the enjoyment of the car that you are expecting for a while (ie. partial throttle driveability is more important than simple WOT tuning stuff).
Old 04-25-2010, 08:34 PM

I have a tune from Bryan at pcmforless for 10lbs. I want to work all the bugs out before I up the boost.
I would really like to learn about tuning too.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by ReaperWS6
Thanks. I actually didn't paint the rims but yes they are 10x better then stock. Gives the old shooters attitude I think.

My car personally has been dyno'd already and put down what's in my sig. I'm adding Pacesetter headers, magnaflow cats and either keeping my Borla catback or running a Powerstick chambered muffler in the I-pipe. In the future when this motor decides to wear out and smoke, I want to build a fresh 355 bottom end with a set of LE2 heads & cam. Get me around 380whp with the other mods and be a good street performer.

What happened? I see you're selling it?

Quick Reply: who all is from Canada?