New England Area For members in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Electrical/Braking Gurus?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Electrical/Braking Gurus?

Within the next couple of weeks I will be taking delivery of a "new to me" experimental electric vehicle. It is sight unseen at this point although I anticipate it will be in my yard within two weeks at the latest. Mu understanding it the car runs fine and has plenty of power and torque. The known issue is with a re-generative braking system that utlizes Camaro based brakes. I do not even know what the "issue" is... Could be brake fade, or charging, or whatever... Maybe ther don't grab at all (that could be a problem).

Anyway, I'm looking for someone that not only understands brakes but also understands electricity as this is an all electric vehicle and I don't want anyone getting killed while checking it out.

I would like to make this vehicle technically street legal (in Maine) which should not be too difficult after studying home made/specialty vehicle inspection laws, and I would like to test it at New England Dragway sometime in September.

If anyone here knows anything about this type of stuff post up or if someone knows someone, I would like to be contacted. I am pretty easy to track down.

Thanks in advance.

Pics and Specs below:

Performance Highlights and Specifications
Max. Horsepower: approx. 300 (430 - 500*) HP
Max. Torque: approx. 400 (600 - 660*) ft-lb
Weight: approx. 5000 lb
Length: 16 ft
Width: 6 ft 2 in
Height: 42 in
Ground Clearance: 5 in
Acceleration, 0 - 60 mph: 7 - 9 sec (5 - 7 sec*)
Acceleration, 1/4 mile: 14 - 16 sec
Acceleration, 1/4 mile top speed: approx. 97 mph
Top Speed: approx. 140 - 160 mph (about 100 mph in 3rd gear)
Gas Mileage Equivalent**: 60 - 100 mpg (about 3-5 cent/mi)
Range: 100 - 140 miles per charge
Recharge time: approx. 6 hrs.
Clutch: Centerforce double sprung
Transmission: Camaro high performance 6 speed
Regenerative Breaking System: 10 KW
Body: Composite rigid foam and fiberglass
windshield: 1/4" Lexan
Batteries: 40 8V deep cycle Trojan

* specification with new Zilla 2000 amp water cooled controller, original
specifications based on DC Power 1200 amp controller. Range specified based
on 160 - 180 V battery voltage.
**based on $3.00 per gallon gasoline and $0.15 per KWh
Old 08-02-2007, 07:15 PM
CamaroRS_SS

Here are a couple of links defining the basics of regenerative braking. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regenerative_braking
http://www.search-autoparts.com/sear...l.jsp?id=68244
That looks like it will be quite an interesting project, especially if you can increase the range between charges. The HP numbers from a car that gets 60mpg are unbelievable! I hope that the info is enough to get you into the ballpark as to where to start troubleshooting. I also hope that the car comes with all of the books and schematics!! The wikipedia article stated that the regen system was prone to loosing braking force at lower speeds. I am sure that this is attributed to the fact that it is feeding off of it's own power per say to slow itself and as it generates less power it will have less power to apply for stopping. Without schematics, drawings or any foreknowledge of how the braking system is set up it is hard to guess. I am curious if the system employs the hydraulic brakes as part of the regen system or as a suppliment to stopping power. Please post more detail when you get them! How were you lucky enough to get your hands on this machine to test!??

Old 08-02-2007, 09:38 PM

yea ted same ? here