New England Area For members in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Dyno day 7/27 at Dez racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 09:51 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 1st and goal:
Originally posted by NeedforSpd_Z:
Don you know Im gonna be there </font>
I thought they (Dez) did the top end of your car and it hasn't run right since as I recall you coming to the cz28.com board looking for a scan tool.

http://web.camaross.com/bb/Forum24/HTML/001836.html

So what was wrong with it

Marc

That's a fast point of the finger.Dez did nothing wrong with the car.There is no problems with the work Dez did.There is problems with the tune.Could be the programming from Fastchip's or a bad sensor.You of all people should know about these problems on LT1's.Haven't seen your car out yet.All these problems take $$$$ to fix,and the $$ runs out fast.

Old 07-23-2002, 10:19 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NeedforSpd_Z:
Marc, the notorious D.E.Z. and BCP did do the top-end on my car, and they did an excellent job!! </font>
Glad to hear they treated you well , wasn't sure what the problem was just knew it wasn't running right. I have not personally delt with Dez.

Marc, I had to send the PCM back to Ed Wright. hopefully this will be the last time. So its tuner related, not tech related </font>
Is the PCM back yet?

Slowhawk,
Hopefully Ed Wright will get the tuning squared away and Chris's Z will run good for him so he can thrash some LS-1's . I do understand about tuning issues on LT-1's. My Z is almost done, it takes time to fabricate everything as there are no bolt on coil pack setup's for LT-1's, also understand on the cashflow situation

Marc

------------------
94 Z/28, 383 D-1

Marc's Blown 94 Z/28 "Want it, Have it, Have it, Want it"
Old 07-23-2002, 10:34 AM

Wow Guys interesting post! Its cool that you have had good luck at Mike Dez's. We are not in competition with each other, as you guys seem to promote, as the majority of our business is tuning and engine building, which Dez does not do. As a matter of fact we have had customers of his come to us for tuning. I work well with quite a few shops in new england and am open to more.
There is plenty of room and customers for all of us!
Marc, I know your car is taking a little longer than expected, but we are the only shop in new england with the capability and resources to convert an optispark setup to a coil pack setup.

Dean
www.nedyno.com

Old 07-23-2002, 12:35 PM

Marc, we are still waiting for the PCM to return and thanks for the vote of confidence! Good to hear your ride is almost ready for action. When your all ready we will have to hook up for some tag-team action against the LS1's Dean I think you have your facts crossed about Dez's. He does do tuning and engine building, in the past the majority of his customers have been Mustang owners but recently he has begun doing 4-gen f-bodies. Mike and Phil do this full-time and even go out and race their own car for points, not many shops do that. Those two guys have some serious cars under their belts that I couldnt even begin to list them. Now Dean Im not trying to badmouth NEdyno that is not my entention, im just trying to give those guys credit where credit is due.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:31 PM

Mike Dez has done tuning and has done engine building on Ford engines.
Mike has little experience in LT1/LT4 and LS1 motors.

Why would Tbryne have Mike do bolt on work on his car but then take it to Canada for ARE to build and tune the combination in his red Camaro?
That would send up a red flag with me. Tom Byrne is the biggest Camaro guy in MA. If he is packing up the car numerous time to drive to Canada that to me means something.
I wouldn't want my car to be a learning experience.

I have no entention of bad mouthing anyone here (Mike Dez, Tybrne, NEdyno) I'm just taking a few steps back and looking at the whole picture, thats what I see.

Rob
Old 07-23-2002, 05:35 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 96Z28SS:
I'm just taking a few steps back and looking at the whole picture, thats what I see.
Rob
</font>
&gt;Is that like seeing the "Big picture" ?
I would love to see TByrnes Camaro dyno .
Later ...
stay safe
Old 07-23-2002, 10:21 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 96Z28SS:
Mike Dez has done tuning and has done engine building on Ford engines.
Mike has little experience in LT1/LT4 and LS1 motors.

Why would Tbryne have Mike do bolt on work on his car but then take it to Canada for ARE to build and tune the combination in his red Camaro?
That would send up a red flag with me. Tom Byrne is the biggest Camaro guy in MA. If he is packing up the car numerous time to drive to Canada that to me means something.
I wouldn't want my car to be a learning experience.

I have no entention of bad mouthing anyone here (Mike Dez, Tybrne, NEdyno) I'm just taking a few steps back and looking at the whole picture, thats what I see.

Rob
</font>
I'm sorry to tell you this,but you don't know the story.No matter who did the work on Tbyrnes car,he was planning to take it to Nick to tune in.That is because Nick built his 409 and Tom felt very confident in Nicks ability to tune the car in properly.I've personally had Dez do work on my car and was very pleased with his work.I've also Dyno'd and bought parts from Dean and I'm very happy with his service.
What it all comes down to this isn't a war on shops.I like both and hope both do very good

Old 07-24-2002, 07:15 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Slowhawk:
I've personally had Dez do work on my car and was very pleased with his work.I've also Dyno'd and bought parts from Dean and I'm very happy with his service.
What it all comes down to this isn't a war on shops.I like both and hope both do very good

</font>

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Slowhawk:
What it all comes down to this isn't a war on shops.

</font>
True, but Orange Krush's moma still wears combat boots

------------------
94 Z/28, 383 D-1

Marc's Blown 94 Z/28 "Want it, Have it, Have it, Want it"
Old 07-24-2002, 08:21 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 1st and goal:
True, but Orange Krush's moma still wears combat boots
</font>
Hey what's wrong with a female wearing combat boots ? we have a few at work that look absolutely awesome even with their combat boots on I don't know anything about the other dyno shop , but I can't wait to see Dean's Firebird in action (nice Hogan intake )
Later ...
stay safe

Old 07-24-2002, 08:28 AM

Rob, Slowhawk is exactly right. The information we have isnt exactly public knowledge. I will just say that ARE is excellent at building 400+ ci motors, but the majority of his tuning experience is NA and direct port N20 cars, There arent many tuners who have experience with 409s with BIG blowers on them. I dont want to step on anyone's feet but the real question should be who is tuning the car now?
Old 07-24-2002, 08:55 AM

Big Blower It's only a F1 pushing 16lbs of boost on a 409 motor
Old 07-24-2002, 11:34 AM

Rob, Slowhawk is exactly right. The information we have isnt exactly public knowledge. I will just say that ARE is excellent at building 400+ ci motors, but the majority of his tuning experience is NA and direct port N20 cars, There arent many tuners who have experience with 409s with BIG blowers on them. I dont want to step on anyone's feet but the real question should be who is tuning the car now? </font>
It will be interesting to see what happens when the tuning is done and who did the tuning.

You are absolutely correct in saying that there aren't many tuners who can tune big cube motors with big blowers.
I've been to NEDyno and seen numerous big cube motors with big blowers one that was running 29lbs of boost.
Also have seen them tune a twin turbo Mustang on the dyno to over 1000hp.

Rob

Old 07-24-2002, 12:56 PM

Rob check this out, its a similiar setup http://www.ls1tech.com/ubb/ultimateb...;f=20;t=000740 One more thing, I hope you dont think I was trying to put down anybody's shop. All Im saying is that both guys are very good at what they do.
Old 07-25-2002, 05:55 PM

NeedforSpd_Z,
If Mike Dez does do tuning and has a dyno why are you sending it out to Ed Wright for a mail order tune instead of getting a dyno tune from Mike?

I have never dealt with Mike DEZ so I can't comment on him personaly.I can however comment on my experience with NEDyno.I have had a great experience with Dean and his crew.Also he gives me such great deals on parts.No one can match the prices he gives me.

Was just curious if Mike is that good why are people sending thier cars to other shops for tuning or having it tuned by mail.

seeya
John
Old 07-26-2002, 08:25 AM

John, the main reason we had to send the PCM back is because Ed wright actually locks them now so you cant play with the tuning yourself.We changed just about everything on the car(motorwise) so just a dyno tune wouldnt fix the whole problem. We dynoed the car at Dez's and saw the big problems with the tuning(ungodly lean) We then sent Ed all our dyno information and based on that he had to re-do the PCM settings. In all the time I have dealt with Mike I have never seen anyone send their car to another shop for tuning, I know that Mike flashes custom PCMs, He has been doing for quite some time now. Also the mail order program was my idea(doh!) everyone I asked said send the PCM to ed he'll take care of you, and that he did. It just would have been alot easier if I let Dez do it, rather than sending the PCM out to Oklahoma a couple of times. Transit time is what is really holding me back, even after having it overnighted each time. But you know how this **** goes, nothing is ever smooth. Anyways hows your car coming along? Email me whats going on if you get the chance, talk to you then

Chris

Quick Reply: Dyno day 7/27 at Dez racing