N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

window switch vs. "nitrous button"

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 12:29 PM

window switch vs. "nitrous button"

I've never had nitrous so I'm no expert by any means. My buddy has a 01 F-150 with full bolt ons. He wants to throw a 100 shot to it, but doenst want to use a window switch. He said he just wants to be able to push a button that shoots the nitrous so he can have full control when it is being shot. That does make sense, however since I am fairly ignorant on the subject, I need all of you to explain why a window swicth would be a better methos. If using the button would be better, explain that too.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:55 PM

Re: window switch vs. "nitrous button"

I would use both, it is not uncommon to have quite a few "switches" inline. For instance, I run a fuel pressure switch, wide open throttle switch, arm switch and a button on my shifter. You could add a window switch to all of those too, it's just all about safety.

If it were me, I would run both.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:37 PM

The window shift is protection against poor judgement and a slipping automatic tranny or a missed shift. The window shift is set so that the nitrous cannot activate until a minimum rpm and will automatically shut off at a max rpm.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:05 PM

My opinion is that a window switch is needed more with a manual tranny than an auto. But as OBE1 95Z28 said, if the auto starts slipping, or you smoke a converter the window switch will come in handy. I never ran one on my AOD Mustang or when I first started running nitrous on my Firebird. You bounce off the limiter once on the spray and a big mushroom cloud comes out from under your hood, it will change your thoughts of needing one real quick. When this happened to me, the nitrous backfired in the air intake and burnt up my air filter. There was nothing but mesh left. I guess it could have been a lot worse though.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by 12Second3rdgen
I would use both, it is not uncommon to have quite a few "switches" inline. For instance, I run a fuel pressure switch, wide open throttle switch, arm switch and a button on my shifter. You could add a window switch to all of those too, it's just all about safety.

If it were me, I would run both.

I'm with this guy. I used to have an arming switch, WOT switch, and a window switch and never had a problem. Like others have said, it's good not to spray while you are shifting.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:51 PM

Does your car feel hella jerky when the nitrous disengages, shifts hard, then shoots more. I've never been in a nitrous car so I have no clue. Seems like the shifting process with it turning off, shifting hard, then turning back on would break your back/neck no? lol
Old 05-19-2006, 11:12 PM

My only concerns with using a window switch is they're not allowed in footbrake and most bracket classes around here. I dont like the idea of spraying when I shift either, but using a button seems to be the only legal way to do it if your ever gonna bracket race.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by 93redBirdMan
Does your car feel hella jerky when the nitrous disengages, shifts hard, then shoots more. I've never been in a nitrous car so I have no clue. Seems like the shifting process with it turning off, shifting hard, then turning back on would break your back/neck no? lol
You can program it to come on as low or as high as you want so he really would have control of it with a window. As far as being jerky, it depends on how high he chooses to engage it. Mine is windowed at 3000 rpm and off at 6000 rpm and to tell you the truth I can't feel it engage after shifts.