N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

Steering Wheel Controls

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 03:01 PM

Steering Wheel Controls

Well I was sitting in my car and I came up with an idea. I was thinking that since I have an aftermarket radio and the controls on the steering wheel are useless, unless a control box is used, would it be possible to use those buttons for nitrous... Such as, the 'seek' up and down could be for a remote bottle opener, 'play' for purge and like 'mute' for arm. So do you guys think this is possible or partical?
Old 09-04-2004, 03:13 PM

Re: Steering Wheel Controls

That is a great idea, however, you would need someone that knows a bit about electronics to wire it up right. I'm assuming from experience that there is a PCB in the steering-wheel controls, and you would have to figure out the sequence of controls on it. Or, you could just rip all that **** out, mount some button-switches inside of it, underneath the regular control buttons so that they are depressed when the control buttons are pressed. Good idea.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:24 AM

Re: Steering Wheel Controls

I had the exact same thought, and it can be done for some things, but harder for others. the buttons on your strg wheel are momentary switches. meaning they are only on while your holding them. so it couldnt be used for thngs like arming and bottle warmer. but it can be used for things like bottle opener, purge, and for activation. you would need some kind of module that would turn on a relay to hold power/ground once the button is depressed for the arming swith and a bottle warmer. good luck and let us know how it works out for you if you try it.
chris