N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

spray on a innercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 03:04 PM

spray on a innercooler?

has anyone put like a 10hp jet on a kit an sprayed it on the outside of an innercooler to cool it down more with out actually injecting it?

i have a trans am that i just put a 355 STS turbo motor in with meth injection. i'm about to install a front mount innercooler on it and i'm planing on using a 25 shot from about 2600-4000 rpms untill the turbo takes over then just spraying the N2O on the outside of the innercooler to cool it. do you think i will see any gain from this or is it just wasted gas?

thanks
robbie
Old 05-04-2006, 09:28 PM

Re: spray on a innercooler?

because the motor is taking about all it can handle already i'm running 16 lbs of boost

i really just want it for the down low before the turbo puts out big boy boost

thanks
robbie
Old 05-04-2006, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

You can just spray water on the intercooler. Any pure alcohol (methanol, ethanol, isopropyl alcohol) will work even better. You can get a gallon of isopropyl at the grocery store for a dollar.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:09 PM

now there's an idea i can afford

i could probly rig that up

has anyone done the alky idea and had success?

thanks
robbie
Old 05-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 95 N2OT/A
now there's an idea i can afford

i could probly rig that up

has anyone done the alky idea and had success?

thanks
robbie
I knew a guy that sprayed water on the intercooler on his SRT-4. Worked well for him.

I have alcohol injection on my Grand National -- it's injected right before the throttle body. It's not particularly consistent -- I ran 13.6 and 14.1 with the same 60' the the same MPH (same track, same day), but it never would have run that 13.6 without the alky.

I've never tried spraying the intercooler myself.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:02 PM

I do it ....... yes it works.

damn near ices over my FMIC ....
Old 05-05-2006, 12:11 PM

what type of kit are you using to spray it on the innercooler?

what type of alky are you spraying?

thanks
robbie
Old 05-05-2006, 12:42 PM

I use co2 or n2o ....co2 is about half the price but you have to get a bottle adapter...I made my setup up from a cheater solinoid, one -4 3' line ,two -4 2 footers , a NOS y-block and two NOS dry nozzles ....mostly stuff I had sitting around...do it...you will feel it...no doubt
Old 05-07-2006, 04:53 PM

It's my understanding that the alky injection is much more effective than spraying down the intercooler. Since your already running an FMIC and alky injection, I have to wonder if spraying down the surface of the intercooler is really going to benifit you very much more. I'd hate to see you add a cooling system that did little more than make up for it's own added weight. I may be way offbase here though - just speculating - maybe you'll see a nice cumulative drop in the AIT, over what's provided by FMIC and alky injection. If you decide to do it, please log the AIT with and without the FMIC spraydown - I'd like to see the difference.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:10 PM

I will log it for you before next week....

I think you will be surprised but the drops in IATs

hell....I will even take a vid of it in action
Old 05-07-2006, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Sparkz28ss
I will log it for you before next week....

I think you will be surprised but the drops in IATs

hell....I will even take a vid of it in action
Are you running alky injection too??? I was looking for all three in combo, like the original poster is suggesting.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:17 PM

i look forward to seeing the results

thanks
robbie
Old 05-07-2006, 10:37 PM

yeah obviously spraying a non alky injected engine is going to prove very beneficial, but as stated above, I would wonder whether it will help you out much. Id guess on hot days it certainly will, but on a cool night I doubt you'll see much difference since your alky injection is cooling the charge already. Stab in the dark, on a 70-75* night you may see 15hp or less. On a hot day, maybe as much as 35? I would definitely be interested in your results though if you do this as im going to be running a similar setup and I live in FL. Here its always hot, so that intercooler sprayer just might be the difference between losing or winning a few bills.
Ive wondered b4 what spraying on the s/c would do also, since running on the street gets 'em heat soaked and they produce heat of thier own. What do you think would happen if ya sprayed the s/c housing, if ya weren't running a alky kit that is?
Old 05-07-2006, 10:37 PM

yeah obviously spraying a non alky injected engine is going to prove very beneficial, but as stated above, I would wonder whether it will help you out much. Id guess on hot days it certainly will, but on a cool night I doubt you'll see much difference since your alky injection is cooling the charge already. Stab in the dark, on a 70-75* night you may see 15hp or less. On a hot day, maybe as much as 35? I would definitely be interested in your results though if you do this as im going to be running a similar setup and I live in FL. Here its always hot, so that intercooler sprayer just might be the difference between losing or winning a few bills.
Ive wondered b4 what spraying on the s/c would do also, since running on the street gets 'em heat soaked and they produce heat of thier own. What do you think would happen if ya sprayed the s/c housing, if ya weren't running a alky kit that is?
Old 05-08-2006, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by speedmiser
Are you running alky injection too??? I was looking for all three in combo, like the original poster is suggesting.

no alky yet...

just a FMIC that gets iced down...

Quick Reply: spray on a innercooler?