N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

How do You Know When the Bottle is Empty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 03:14 PM

How do You Know When the Bottle is Empty?

I've been doing quite a bit of research on nitrous the past couple days but I can't find any threads about this. I've read that if you're running a big shot of N2O and the N2O runs out, things get real nasty for your motor real quick. With that said, is there any kind of gauge that lets you know how much nitrous is left in the bottle or some kind of safety switch that will cut the nitrous system off when it runs out? I don't want to be racing someone and then damage my engine.
FLeX
Old 12-29-2004, 03:46 PM

Re: How do You Know When the Bottle is Empty?

eh there will always be enough nitrous. enough fuel is a different story. I think you shoudl work about a good fuel supply first.

WHen the bottle is low, pressure is down, power on the juice is down, etc
Old 12-29-2004, 04:13 PM

But I read that there can be 900 psi or whatever the normal amount of pressure is in the bottle with no useable N2O. I can't remember the link but I found that in a search earlier today. I understand about needing a good fuel supply but what if you're racing and the nitrous is activated and working along with the proper amount of fuel, but then the nitrous runs out with the system still activated? I've heard that can be very bad. Like, pull motor and rebuild bad.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:38 PM

If your not running a 300 shot you will be fine. It will run real rich until you let off.

Plus you will know when the bottle is empty. It will make the car slower then it was NA. Becuase of it being to rich.

Once you get a kit and strat using it you will find out how many times you can spray it.

Or if you have a purge you will know if it is empty if you don't get a cloud look, when purging. If you just hear the purge with no cloud then the bottle is empty.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:45 PM

I'd also like to know what to buy to prevent this from happening:
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5431463

I would never, EVER use a torch but it does get over 90 degrees in the summer where I live.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by FLeXNuTZ
I'd also like to know what to buy to prevent this from happening:
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5431463
You can't buy anything to prevent stupidity. Just learn how the system works, and set it up right.

Dave
Old 12-29-2004, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by funina91ss
If your not running a 300 shot you will be fine. It will run real rich until you let off.
If running bigger than a 300 shot would you run the risk of hydro-loc?
Old 12-29-2004, 08:06 PM

But I read that there can be 900 psi or whatever the normal amount of pressure is in the bottle with no useable N2O. I can't remember the link but I found that in a search earlier today. I understand about needing a good fuel supply but what if you're racing and the nitrous is activated and working along with the proper amount of fuel, but then the nitrous runs out with the system still activated? I've heard that can be very bad. Like, pull motor and rebuild bad.
Eh, how are you going to have pressure if there is nothing in the bottle? There has to be nitrous in there if you are getting pressure. Sure you are using liquid nitrous, but once it comes out of the nozzle, it turns to gas.

I think you are worrying WAY too much about this.

The guy that blew his house apart was a dumbass. He left the heater on all night. I dunno why the hell you would do that? It would drain your battery very quickly, not to mention heat the hell out of the bottle. 300 W heater would torture your battery. Just dont modify anything on the bottle and you will be fine. If the pressure builds up too high the burst disk will pop and vent the bottle to the outside of the car assuming you have the blowdown tube installed.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by LT4383
If running bigger than a 300 shot would you run the risk of hydro-loc?
to hydro-loc a motor you would have to fill a cylinder with fuel and that is not going to happen.

Only thing that is going to happen if you run low on N20 is the motor is going to run rich. The fuel is going to burn,

I think the only way you could have a problem is if the fuel noid stayed open when you let off. Then you are looking at a backfire which could cause it's own problems.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Serene
Eh, how are you going to have pressure if there is nothing in the bottle? There has to be nitrous in there if you are getting pressure. Sure you are using liquid nitrous, but once it comes out of the nozzle, it turns to gas.

Even if the liquid N20 is gone you will still have pressure in the tank. And if the tank is heated it can be at 900 psi empty'

You can do this at home take a plastic bottle and empty it then heat it up. It will get hard from the air expanding. open the top and you will get the psh.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:46 PM

Actually I'm planning on a 200-250 shot when I get my motor built to handle it. If I were to buy a NOS, NX, TNT, etc. kit with up to a 150 shot, could I use it on my bolt on motor for awhile until I get my N2O ready 383, then upgrade it to a 200-250 and still use the same kit?
So if I have my system full but off in my car in the hot summer it'll be okay and won't blow my car to pieces as long as I have that pressure release thing and don't intentionally warm my bottle?
Old 12-29-2004, 09:55 PM

IF you want to run a 250 shot you might want to think of a dual stage or a direct port. trying to put 600RWHP to the ground is kinda hard all at once.

As long as you follow the directions on wiring up your bottle heater and never use two disk in the blow off tube. You will never have to fear a bottle blowing up on you.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:25 PM

Cool ,thats good to know. BTW, those pics were carzy, huh? The blast tore a hole in the wall big enough to fit Fat Albert through, lol.

So why would 250 be hard to do all at once with the properly built up equipment(motor, clutch, trans, fuel system, rear end, etc.)? Do you mean keeping control of the car when the 250 shot suddenly kicks in?

Last edited by FLeXNuTZ; 12-29-2004 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:27 PM

You are correct in thinking that a car that runs to rich will and can hurt itself. The overly rich condition will lift a ring land, break pistons, and cause detentation. The best way to tell if your bottle is empty weigh it. On a 10lb. bottle you will performance drop off once you have use 5 lbs of nitrous on any shot 150 and above. Also with a NX system you will use .8 lbs. worth of nitrous for every 100hp per 10 seconds.

Ricky

I've been doing quite a bit of research on nitrous the past couple days but I can't find any threads about this. I've read that if you're running a big shot of N2O and the N2O runs out, things get real nasty for your motor real quick. With that said, is there any kind of gauge that lets you know how much nitrous is left in the bottle or some kind of safety switch that will cut the nitrous system off when it runs out? I don't want to be racing someone and then damage my engine.
FLeX
Old 12-29-2004, 10:31 PM

Oops, my bad. You mentioned direct port and TNT makes a kit like that that will produce up to a 300 shot I believe. The main reason I've asked about knowing when the bottle is empty is because of street racing. If I only race from 30-80 I'm not sure how many of those I can do until the bottle runs out. So even with a 250 shot it'll just run rich when the N2O runs out? Even with the direct port kit? Sorry for the 20 questions.

Quick Reply: How do You Know When the Bottle is Empty?