N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

Before I commit to nitrous...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:12 AM

Before I commit to nitrous...

I've been doing some research on the forums, and I'm realizing that safety is a bigger concern than I originally accounted for. I've dumped way too much money fixing my car to risk it all on a whim. So, without further delay, here are some specs: '94 LT1 with 112k on the clock. Intake, LTs, full exhaust, 3.73s, stall shift kit blah blah blah.

My objective here is to install a modest nitrous system that is safe for street and strip use.The car is a semi-DD, but only during the few warm months up here in Michigan. I put less than 6k on it a year. I am looking at a 75 (maybe 100) shot that will engage at WOT. I've seen some ZEX kits that are affordable and purport a module that reads the voltage curve to engage when the pedal hits the floor; this is how I'd like it.

Now I have access to a Mustang dyno, so pulling timing (I still don't fully understand what this means) should not be a problem. I would really rather avoid installing ignition boxes, but if I have to in order to preserve the integrity of the rest of my powerband, so be it.

In my eyes, I would ideally just be able to pull the timing at WOT so everything engages smoothly then, and the car is unaffected otherwise. I hope these are reasonable goals.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:21 AM

Using an ignition box like the mallorey 685 will allow you to pull timing only when the nitrous is armed.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:10 AM

Your other option is to retune it so you pull timing under WOT, but then you pull that timing even when the n20 is off.

If you don't understand pulling timing, you need to do some more reading. Its essential to understanding how a motor works - almost any motor.

All this being said, I ran 150 for quite a while without pulling any timing. Most will tell you that 70-100 is pretty safe with full timing and some 91 or 93 fuel. You want a wet kit - avoid the zex dry crap. If the kit doesn't tie into your fuel system somewhere find another. Run it a little rich and that will help with timing issues too.

Your tranny will probably let go long before the motor does.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by jsetzer
Your other option is to retune it so you pull timing under WOT, but then you pull that timing even when the n20 is off.

If you don't understand pulling timing, you need to do some more reading. Its essential to understanding how a motor works - almost any motor.

All this being said, I ran 150 for quite a while without pulling any timing. Most will tell you that 70-100 is pretty safe with full timing and some 91 or 93 fuel. You want a wet kit - avoid the zex dry crap. If the kit doesn't tie into your fuel system somewhere find another. Run it a little rich and that will help with timing issues too.

Your tranny will probably let go long before the motor does.
Okay. I understand that wet is the way to go. I don't want to sound like I'm avoiding pulling timing or getting an ignition box, but if running a modest shot doesn't require it, then I won't.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:38 AM

100 shot doesn't require it. As long as you are running a wet kit with the proper octane fuel you will be good.