Mountain Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming

What do you CA guys do about emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 06:47 PM

What do you CA guys do about emissions?

Just got back from Davis/Sacremento visiting family - thinking about 'possibly' moving out there next year. 50/50 chance. I dont see a lot of you from the N. Cali area...

Was wondering what you all do about the strict emissions regulations in the state. Is there some sort of workaround? I'd hate to sell my car just to move. Here in FL theres no emissions testing anymore. Is there a law regarding out-of-state vehicles in CA? I still have family in FL and could leave it registered here if I were to move - would the CA laws still apply to me?
Old 04-09-2003, 07:54 PM

I just had my car smogged three weeks ago. I was "hooked up" with my smog test. I'm located in Los Angeles. If any members need anyone to hook them up with a smog test, just post.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:59 PM

So how about loudness? I know it's something I could easily fix (and I plan to, when the time is right) but for now its basically running open exhaust (headers to Loudmouth) and is *really* loud. Do the CA police frown upon loud V8s?
Old 04-10-2003, 12:57 AM

Originally posted by Dave 96TA
So how about loudness? I know it's something I could easily fix (and I plan to, when the time is right) but for now its basically running open exhaust (headers to Loudmouth) and is *really* loud. Do the CA police frown upon loud V8s?
I have had the loudmouth and shorties for at least a year and a half with no probs with police, knock on wood. Just the other morning I drove side by side with chp motorcycle roaring down the freeway sweating bullets but he just kept right on past me.

I know a lot of people are concerned with visual inspections to like I was, but now I know there are smoggers who don't care if you're running longtubes. I guess that's next on my list There are a lot of fbods here running LT's.

I'm not too sure about whether or not or how soon you'd have to register your car moving into cali. I'm almost positive there's some kinda fee to bring an out of state ride to this state. Check with someone here: www.norcal-ls1.net

Nice ride btw, my TA is white as well, different wheels though.

Good luck
Old 04-12-2003, 03:26 AM

Cool Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ?

Prey Like HELL !!
Old 04-15-2003, 11:34 PM

well I planning on a move out there, and my buddies family moved out there and left the car registered out of state, they've been there for 9 years and have not to worry about emissions. I know the son was pulled over a few times, and never asked hey whos car is this, he has a Cali drivers License, I guess they really don't check for to see about out of state cars. There are so many people that visit the state, they really don't bother to see if your driving out of state car. Also a different friend leased a car from my state and has been using that for some time. My suggestion is, just register it in another state. As for the loudness, I supose it depends on where you live(city) I know everytime I've been in LA I never can sleep cause theres so many damn loud cars drivn around at night. I always run to the window to see if its an old truck or what, but I'm always to late. So you can probably get away with it. Of course caution is necessary, you can't go revin the engine up to redline for three gears inside the town, its a good way to get hit, just like any major city. I'm gonna post here and see if cops check for cats or not, its a pretty big fine from what I hear. By the way I read a post on LT1 tech about some guys friend who got busted for longtubes and no cats, I guess the cops lights reflected off the tubes underneath and so he pulled him over, and he hadto get new headers with cats.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:51 AM

I just moved to southern CA last summer from Portland, OR.

If you have owned your car for more then 90 days you will not be charged any fees for bringing it into CA. I believe you have 90 days to register your car in CA though and that was a little spendy compared to OR registration. Not sure how things are down in FL but they can't be as much as CA

From my experience, cops don't care too much about your out of state plates. Both of my parents' cars are still registered in OR so they've had Oregon plates down here since last June. If the same cop sees you every day then you might get called on it. Since you don't have to pass smog in FL you could probably just mail in your pymt to FL for new tags when yours expire but in my case, I would have had to pass an OR DEQ test which would require me to drive up there every other year. Lucky for me a drunk driver took out my sloooow azz 94 V6 camaro and I'm now behind the seat of my Z. Who would have thought?
Old 04-18-2003, 11:11 PM

great info guys, thanks. this would be the Sacremento/Davis area way up state, its a pretty calm area. not nearly as crammed as Miami. i'll still have family here in FL so having a valid perm. address wont be a problem, and the car is already registered there.

now who knows of a GOOD track within an hour of outter Sacremento??
Old 04-19-2003, 12:07 AM

There's one here in sacramento.

Also, just to let you know, it's been in the local news that the city and county need money so tickets for small things like no front license plate and unlawful tinting are being enforced more Whatever, those are minor and less likely a problem unless you're caught driving like a fool.
Old 04-19-2003, 09:57 AM

well i certainly wont have a front plate, but its also out of state...hope that doesnt cause fireworks. Even down here my car is registered 2 countys away at my grandmother's house to avoid the extreme Miami insurance rates. The 2 times i've been pulled over in 2 years they've asked what I was doing down here and I just say "school". They dont usually need more than that.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:24 PM

there is no section for N Cali.

Sac/Bay Area here!!
Old 04-22-2003, 09:29 PM

The Bay

Seriously, no one has a group in the bay? Guess its due to everyone driving around in imports out here.
Old 04-23-2003, 12:58 PM

thats too bad, i did notice there werent many F-bods in the area when i was visiting.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:42 PM

Re: The Bay

Originally posted by Fella602
Seriously, no one has a group in the bay? Guess its due to everyone driving around in imports out here.
There is a northern california camaro club with a message board. I forget what its called but hopefully someone else will post it.

By the way do most places do a visual inspection and how would they know if the cats were moved. I am considerring flps and would kost places even know if I moved to cats.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:18 PM

Just don't get caught without the cat converters, you can be arrested for it. I know this happened to a mustang guy around here in the LA area. The cats also quiet the car down considerably. Other than that, in general, I don't think most cops give a damn what you have under the hood.

Quick Reply: What do you CA guys do about emissions?