Mountain Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming

Attn: All Cali F-bodders who Hate Front Plates

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by Mr.Sinister
^to me it is less important to have the front plates on thn the back plates. Pissed me off because i didnt have no front plate brackets n that damn cop pulled me over for it. It should be on but it shouldnt be Mandatory. And laws can change too, if u didnt know....ight so ur a "former A-cop" then, whats the big importance of having that front plate attached to ur car? why cant u have it on ur windshield? explain tht lil crap-shoot for me when u got the chance
Ok, so let me see if I have this right. You got "pissed off" because a cop pulled you over because your car is not in compliance with the current law, right? Well, sorry to hear that upsets you so much, but we have ALL learned at one time or another that even though we may not agree with each and every law, we still have to obey them or risk the consequences of disobedience. You don't think the law should be mandatory, then get out and become politically active to try and change it. And yes, I know, that by signing this "form" or whatever it is on the website this post directs you to, you are, in a way, being politically active. But it is probably going to take a LOT more then that to get an important traffic law like this changed. (Just my humble $.02) By the way, why do you think, "it should be on but it shouldn't be mandatory." If it SHOULD be on, then what in the world do you mean that it shouldn't be mandatory. I fail to see the difference since you already agreed by saying it should be there........

But let me tell you a few reasons the front plate is required. To be able to identify someone's car from the front or rear for any number of reasons; as it leaves the scene of a crime, so the car & owner can be properly identified by photo enforcement (which I don't agree with, but nontheless I obey) so that there is a chance someone can ID the car from a hit & run accident AND if for nothing else, because the people that make the laws that give you the privilege of driving on the roads. Remember, like they say, driving is NOT a right, but a privilege. Note: I am NOT saying any of us, or all sports car/F-Body/Vette drivers are criminals or would do anything stupid like kill someone while driving drunk, or commit a crime. These reasons were for EXAMPLE only.

The definition of privilege is: a right or immunity granted as a peculiar benefit, advantage, or favor So, sadly in some cases, when we are granted these privileges, we have to go along with ALL the rules that go with them. I have spent 10 years cleaning up messes from criminals, and the ONLY way we caught some of them is because therre was a front plate on the car for a witness to see. Or it fell off the car after they crashed into and killed someone's Mom while they were drunk and then ran off. There are a million reasons why it is a good idea to have a front plate, ASIDE from the fact that it is a law.

I wish car designers would find a better way to incorporate front plates onto the sportier cars, but so far, very few have managed to do this. I don't like having a front plate on my car, but until (if/when) the law changes, I don't have much choice. They don't go in the front windshield of cars for a number of reasons as well. Like, for example, in the F-Bodies, the windshield rake is so low that the only way to see the plate if it were in the front window would be either from a helicopter or if you were standing directly in front of the car & the car was not moving. Another prefectly good reason is that during an accident, that license plate can become a projectile and cause some pretty serious damage to you, your passengers or someone outside the car if the windows are down or the T-tops are off, etc. Not to mention, on some cars (the Volkswagen Beetle for example) there is barely enough windshield to see out of, and you can't go blocking the driver's view as it can lead to accidents. Same goes for any car. That windhsield is there for you to see out of, if you start blocking it up with license plates and other crap, your vision will be very limited.

It is POSSIBLE to change the law, but I highly doubt that this particular one will ever be gone given the safety & law enforcement reasons it exists in the first place. The need to identify cars is far more important then the car owner's dislike of the looks of a front plate on their car.

So basically you can do 3 things. 1) Keep ignoring the law and keep getting pissed off when you get ticketed. 2) Put the front plate where it belongs on the front bumper of your car or 3)Try to change the law, but you will still need to do either #1 or #2 during that process.

I never understood the law until I became a cop and started to see all the different ways it helped us help other people who are victims. THAT is when I stopped crying about the inconvenience of having to put a front plate on my car.

I hope this answers your questions. I am not trying to be a jerk, or argue, but you did ask my opinion and so I responded. I hate front plates as well, I think they ruin the look of the car I have. But if I chose not to have one on my car then I risk being stopped and cited for it just like the rest of the population.

My apologies for taking so long to respond, but my Mom was in town from Seattle and I was visiting with her & celebrating Mother's Day and was not able to commit the time to sit down and write an articulate repsponse to your questions until now.

Darrin
Old 05-11-2004, 02:48 PM

Rottluver, would law and photo enforcement be impeded in any way if the front license plate was changed to motorcycle size?
Old 05-11-2004, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by GX624
Rottluver, would law and photo enforcement be impeded in any way if the front license plate was changed to motorcycle size?
Interesting question.......I imagine the cameras for photo enforcement (which, did I mention I hate?) are able to shoot pics of motorcycles that go thru red lights just as well as cars. You cannot change/alter your license plate to be smaller then original size for any vehicle though, so, technically, you would be impedding the law if you had a motorcycle sized license plate on a car. Motorcycle plates are harder to see due to their smaller size, so they require you to be closer to the vehicle that has one on it to read them unless you have "eagle eyes".

Did that answer your question or did I misunderstand it?
Old 05-11-2004, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by Rottluver
Interesting question.......I imagine the cameras for photo enforcement (which, did I mention I hate?) are able to shoot pics of motorcycles that go thru red lights just as well as cars. You cannot change/alter your license plate to be smaller then original size for any vehicle though, so, technically, you would be impedding the law if you had a motorcycle sized license plate on a car. Motorcycle plates are harder to see due to their smaller size, so they require you to be closer to the vehicle that has one on it to read them unless you have "eagle eyes".

Did that answer your question or did I misunderstand it?
To clarify: would law and photo enforcement be impeded in any way if the government issued front license plate was changed to motorcycle size?

31 States do not require them (or abolished the requirement). Many others have petitions pending to abolish them.

I was just wondering how much of a difference it would make if the issued (front) plate were smaller (less obtrusive/obstructive), as an alternative to abolishment.

FWIW, I've read that some States (including CA) are considering abolishing the traffic photo enforcement due to a rise in accidents -- people now stopping mid-intersection instead of running that yellow/red light.

I see your point that the motocycle plate is not easily readable. Another alternative I wish the State gov. would consider is a wider and flatter plate.

The standard plate as it stands now is 12"w x 6"h, but the lettering is only 2"h. The Gov. could shorten and widen the plate to 16-18" x 3" and still keep the same 2" lettering height like a European plate. Front plates don't require stickers (at least here in CA they don't), but even if they did, there would be plenty of room for them. The State identification could be initialized and placed before the alphanumeric lettering (e.g. L98X34 would read CA-L98X34). Again plenty of room with a wider shorter plate.

Anyway, I'm for eradication of the front plate, and I voted so here: Eradication of California Front License Plate Petition

Thanks for the discussion, Rottluver.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by GX624
To clarify: would law and photo enforcement be impeded in any way if the government issued front license plate was changed to motorcycle size?

Thanks for the discussion, Rottluver.
Doubtful, I personally only cared about front plates when the car that was driven by the guy who robbed, raped or killed someone didn't have it on there and so the witness couldn't give the plate for us to look for. It was also a really good tool to use for stopping gang bangers, dope dealers, etc and have a legal reason to talk to them. I can't actually remember the last time I wrote one of those tickets, except maybe back when I was a rookie in 1990.........

But now that I am retired, I could not care less so long as it doesn't affect me (So selfish)

Your welcome, thanks for the well thought out questions as opposed to some of the usual drivel I get LOL

PS FWIW, I think they should get rid of photo enforcement as well, it is way too easy to beat and too expensive. Not worth the cost for any agency that I know of that uses it.