Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin
View Poll Results: What Is Causing My Cars Problems?
Throttle Position Sensor
42.86%
Converter
0%
Trans - Converter
14.29%
Just Plain Abused the Shi* Out Of The Car
14.29%
Other - Post The Problem In Reply To Post
28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

WoooHoooo SES Light Came On, Wait That Is Bad, Right.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 03:45 PM

WoooHoooo SES Light Came On, Wait That Is Bad, Right.

Well, it was only a matter of time before it happened. The SES light came on today. I knew something has been wrong with the car and was confirmed today on my way in to work. Actually, the light didn't come on while driving. It came on when I went back out at lunch time.

On the way into work driving at about 75 and steady. My rpms started jumping up by about 300-400 then back down, up and back down. It didn't matter what speed I stay steady at it does this. It feels and sounds like I am tapping the gas then letting off, then tapping and letting off. The higher the speed, the more the RPMS jump.

So, what is the easiest way and cheapest way to find out the code the car is throwing to set off the SES light? If I pull into a dealership do you think they would be willing to plug in and find out for me on the spot?

My bet will be the trans..... Could a converter cause this problem?

Hey, a contest is at hand. Well, now it is time for you to take a plunge and see who can get closest to the actual problem here. I have have told you the problem. Oh yea, teh car has also sounded like it is idling funny too, has stalled a few times. The rpms go up and down after starting up in the morning for about 10 secs.

I'll buy a beer or two or three..... for whoever gets the problem correct. If multiple people guess the same the winner is the first to post the correct problem. Bonus, Winner gets to pick the beer.

Thanks and good luck.

Contest rules: Not open to family members or relatives, must be 21 years or older to win (or, a dammmmmm cute 18ish Girl , LOL. No sneaking over in the middle of the night to diagnose the car, beers to be paid in one lump sum payment.

Last edited by Bill'sWS6; 07-30-2003 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:19 PM

Bill no way of knowing unless you know what code it is
Old 07-30-2003, 04:43 PM

alright, Im guessing TPS. but thats just a guess. I can look at the code for ya too. no biggie. when do you want to bring it by? I might already have plans for fri., but if they fall through, you want to do the tuneup and code check then? if you go to a dealership, they can tell you the code, but obviously thats only the first step in diag. the prob. you'd need to talk to one of the writers and they can get a tech. 2 and read the code for you. then tell them you will poss. bring back the car later. if you do that, let me know and I'll look up the code at work and bring home the proper tools(special tools, diagrams, and such) to diag. the problem(hopefully) now, we dont know for sure the code is directly related to whatever your first complaint. more then likely it is, but not always. lets hope its something simple and not too exp. //fingers crossed//
give me a call bill.

chris
313-655-2983

oh yeah, if Im busy fri., then sund. mourning I should be free. but it would have to be early sunday.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:24 PM

It could be a pcv hose??? i think thats what they replaced on my car... my torque converter was locking and unlocking on its own at high speeds.....
Old 07-30-2003, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by TransAmHitman
It could be a pcv hose??? i think thats what they replaced on my car... my torque converter was locking and unlocking on its own at high speeds.....

I had a similar issue with the PCV hose being the culprit. The 2 in. hose between the pcv valve and the TB got soft and "mushy" so it would get sucked shut throwing false codes and causing me a ton of headaches.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:28 PM

My guess is a MAF sensor or air leak. Steven