Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

where to get brighter interior lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 04:10 PM

where to get brighter interior lights

i just put fllame gauges in my car and need brighter bulbs to show through the plastic overlays. So where can i get the bulbs for the dash and the console .
anybody now where online?
Old 02-13-2004, 05:39 PM

here's a link to the overlays I got. did you get these same ones?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2460292845

didnt realize Id need them till I got the overlays here. did you buy them off ebay from wholesaledeals? he has the bulbs too it says in the instructions. if you didnt get them from him, I'll incl. a link to his email.

wholesaledeals3@aol.com

by the way, how do they look installed? cant wait to get mine in.

chris
Old 02-13-2004, 06:03 PM

are those the APC ones that cost 17.99?
Old 02-13-2004, 09:36 PM

mine are made by vortex and are 24.99. says we need krypton bulbs. i still have to find out where else I can get the bulbs, cause Im sure this guy is gonna charge extra tomake a few bucks on the bulbs too.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:04 AM

exact same ones and they look great installed, just need the bulbs now.
Old 02-14-2004, 05:29 PM

I just put mine in today, and I love them. I also got the hvac contols and headlamp sw. overlays to match. dont have those here yet. not sure it that will be too much flames, but we'll see. my batt.s disconnected, so I cant try mine yet, but might in a bit. what do the gauges look like in the dark w/the lights on and w/o the brighter bulbs? I might plug it in and hook up my batt. in a while to see. just curious how dim it is.
what did you use to attach the overlays with? I used a dab of rtv, that will hold it in place (along w/the stock black bezel that goes over it) and it should just peel right off if I ever want to remove it. dont know why Id ever want to do that, but just in case. I thought double sided tape would make the overlay contact the needles? didnt try it though.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:40 PM

killerjello, I dont know what "size" they are, but they say "pc161" on them, and they arent just a peanut bulb. they have a black socket on them. the fella we bought our inlays from sells the bulbs too, but I havent had a chance to email him back to see how much the bulbs are.

Jshigman, I just plugged mine in, and Im very glad I decided to try it before I put it all back together. when you have the lights on, you can see the numbers/lights underneath. so its very important to line it up perfectly. what I did, was take off the lense, set cluster in place and plug it in. turn lights off in garage (very dark inside now) and turn dash lights on. even w/stock bulbs you can see the numbers/lines underneath. now line up the overlay w/the bottom numbers and use black elect. tape everywhere you can to tape the inlays in place. you can only barely go over the overlay on the edges so it dont show when you install the lens. but after you have them taped in place, you can remove it from the car and take it back inside to fin. taping all the other spots and test fitting the lens to make sure it doesnt show. I have pics if you need them for reference w/the lens off to show where the tape is. email me if you want them. and as another note, forget about double sided tape. if there's a gap under the overlay, it will look like *** cause you wont be able to read stuff clearly at night.
chris
Old 02-15-2004, 07:32 AM

i have the dash overlays and the hvac and light switch and the overlay for the a/trans shifter.
these are the numbers for the bulbs.
1)instrument -general=161-37-194
2)a/t indicator-73
3)directional signal-161
4) brake warning-161
5) check engine-161

O h ya + a question where are the screws to get the top of the dash off? Do you have to take the pillar covers off or are they somewhere else? This has me stumped big time. please help
Old 02-15-2004, 12:23 PM

yeah, take off the drivers side pillar, and then lift up that big dash cover thats between the dash and windshield glass. it just pops up. be careful when popin it up no to pop up too hard cause the windshield is fragile from impact from the inside. there there are two more 7mm screws on the dash piece that goes around the cluster. you already removed the stereo surround, and the knee bolster to remove those screws from under those?
Old 02-16-2004, 06:27 AM

thanks for the info guys