Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 08:50 PM

What do you think of this 89 Camaro...

as a project car/future racecar?

"89 Camaro, 182K, transmission shot, needs body work, $200 OBO"

It's in the local classifieds...
Old 11-16-2002, 06:07 AM

just my .02

Speaking from some 30 years experience and probably mostly lack of ambition, I have found that unless you really love working on cars a person can find a car that has been modded for a LOT less than it costs to build one. There was one for sale here a while ago for about 5500 I think. that was a pretty good deal I thought.
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...threadid=47541

For example, I had a 79 Z28 that I bought for 200. I put all new brakes on, rebuilt the motor, rebuilt TH350, trac bars, 6pt roll bar, 4" outlaw hood 4.56w/spool, paint job,tires etc. and sold it for 3400. It still needed an interior and it was barely streetable (3000rpm @55mph cruising and overheating all the time)
I found my 95 w/45000mi. and it went 14.40's w/no mods. But I paid a lot mor than 3400 for it ($12,000) And I've probably sunk another3-4G into it since.
Since you did ask, If I were you I would seriously consider1.) How much do I want /have to spend 2.) what exactly do I want,street/strip or race car. and 3.) Do I really like crawling under the car,greasy hands that don't come clean,or paying someone to do the work for you. BUT if you realllly love working on cars and have a lot of money then I say GO FOR IT!

Becca, to answer just your question, If it has rust you'd better look it over REAL good! Sometimes you get yourself in trouble with rusty cars. For 200 bucks I think you'll "get what you paid for"
Skip

Last edited by MichiganSkip; 11-16-2002 at 06:10 AM.
Old 11-16-2002, 07:26 AM

Re: just my .02

I agree w/skip. it depends on what your final plans are. if your like me and dont mind driving around a car that looks like a hoopty while your saving up money or working on other things (like making it fast) then go for it(unless its really rusty). for instance, for the price it would cost to replace two qrtr. panels, you cold get a whole car that doesnt need them.

also, if its complete (besides tranny)but rusted out then it may make a great parts car for somebuddy.

if you decide to not get it, then post the phone # here cause my friend JP is looking for something like that.

chris
Old 11-16-2002, 08:33 AM

sadlkvjhfsgvfds

Buy "Alpine455's" car!! 89 Formula that runs solid 10's I don't believe he's selling it for that price. The parts alone could net that kinda money.
Old 11-16-2002, 09:05 AM

Re: Re: just my .02

Originally posted by IrocSS85
if you decide to not get it, then post the phone # here cause my friend JP is looking for something like that.
It's in Kalamazoo: 269-343-2450
Old 11-16-2002, 09:15 AM

So, Rebecca.....

What are your thoughts? Hope I didn't bust your bubble, certainly didn't mean to!!!!! Just trying to give some "fatherly" advice.

In all fairness though. When I was 30 yrs younger and had a lot less money I did it all, wrenching, body work and painting. i could even hold a powerglide up with one hand and start the bolts with the other by myself. It was fun I guess. And you can't beat the feeling of "I built this myself" Now I have absolutely NO desire to crawl under a car!!! Plus I am at a point in my life where the college ed. pays off. Now I just pay for the labor , get in and drive it like I stole it. I would consider maybe looking a little more for a little better car than that one.

Regards
Skip

Last edited by MichiganSkip; 11-16-2002 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by s_willis
Speaking from some 30 years experience and probably mostly lack of ambition, I have found that unless you really love working on cars a person can find a car that has been modded for a LOT less than it costs to build one.
True, but then the mods aren't your own, they're usually cobbled up, and they're inevitably the brands you wouldn't use yourself. Becca started this thread cuz I stumbled across the ad while looking for cheap trucks. The only way to find out if it's junk is to go look, so maybe we'll do that.