Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

Very upset with Buff Whaelen(sterling heights)...[long] part2

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 10:23 PM

Very upset with Buff Whaelen(sterling heights)...[long] part2

Took my car in for some touchups. Brought the rental back to the dealer when I was walking in with the girl that inspected my rental car, I heard my car coming down the alley. The ****ing stupid *** porter was revving my car. very high, I flipped. I had the girl follow me to where the ******* stoped my car to get a car wash. I ask for my key's immediately and go to turn the car on, and i just put it in the on position. The first thing I did was check the temp of the car, yup, bone cold. I became irate. It just so happened that the body shop manager was there and I was yelling and screaming. Things were said and I said this "if in 3k miles i break a valve spring because this *** was cold revving my car, I have no recourse" he stated "if you have any problems with the valve springs come see me"

fast forward to tonight. I had planned on going to a LAN this weekend about 40 miles away from home. I get here and everything is cool. My friend greets me and asks me for a ride, I say sure, no problem. I give him a ride, put the throttle on a little bit and notice a drop in power, I am pissed. I drop him off, park the car. Fast forward to about 30 mins ago, I go test drive my car because I am freaking out and pissed off. Drive for about 5 mins down the street nice and gentle, low and behold, the infamous flashing SES which then turns to a solid SES light. The car is missing soooo bad, if I put it in 6th, it shakes the whole car sooo bad. Needless to say, I now have to tow this bitch to the dealer. Great, now I have to f'n deal with the dealer.

What do you guys think I should do? I already called the dealer body shop and left a nice message that my spring broke and they will be fixing my springs. I have a feeling the dealer might not help me out because they love to **** people, do you think I would be able to sue if it comes to that?

I am so upset right now, when I saw that *** revving it I knew something like this would happen

-Steve
Old 03-05-2004, 10:58 PM

wow... im honestly surprised that it broke. I know LS1s have cold starting problems, but Ive seen an LS1 (35th anniversy ed too ) get cold starting torture tested beyond belief. I guy at my school had it. everytime he'd start it -- right to 6k rpms, and shifting at the rev limiter out of the parking lot, even in around 0 degree temperatures. It never had any problems until it blew up after about a year of that abuse.

I couldnt tell ya about the sueing issue, but if you ever want something, all you have to do is make the biggest scene possible in the middle of the showroom floor. 99% of the time youll get what you want after scaring 4 or 5 potential customers away
Old 03-06-2004, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by JoeliusZ28
wow... im honestly surprised that it broke. I know LS1s have cold starting problems, but Ive seen an LS1 (35th anniversy ed too ) get cold starting torture tested beyond belief. I guy at my school had it. everytime he'd start it -- right to 6k rpms, and shifting at the rev limiter out of the parking lot, even in around 0 degree temperatures. It never had any problems until it blew up after about a year of that abuse.

I couldnt tell ya about the sueing issue, but if you ever want something, all you have to do is make the biggest scene possible in the middle of the showroom floor. 99% of the time youll get what you want after scaring 4 or 5 potential customers away

I have after market heads and cam, I have a lift of .595 on a 232/228 cam. It's pretty healthy and with dual springs.
When the springs are cold, and you rev them that high with a large cam, things tend to break

Are you sure its not an ignition problem like a burned plug wire?
A flashing SES light means that there is a catalyst damaging misfire, thus meaning that the fuel in the cylinder is not igniting (O2 is reading extremely rich on that bank)

Sounds like a burned plug wire/ignition coil/etc to me since you said the SES light is flashing.

I highly doubt it is a valve spring..

Though I totally agree, make the dealer fix it for free.

I would be pissed if someone was beating on my car.
I will bet my life on a broken spring, this would be my second one and I can tell it's the springs.

-Steve
Old 03-06-2004, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by v6maro
I will bet my life on a broken spring, this would be my second one and I can tell it's the springs.

-Steve
Granted the jockey at the dealer f-d up but with you saying "my second broken valve spring" and the fact your cam lift is large. my bet is on your killing the springs because of your install height. Odds are your set up to close to coil bind and this could be your real issue here. When they get overworked due to running them tight on coil bind tolerance they start dropping like flys. ..
...take my word on this, I just went thru it last october.
found ex springs were not as they where supose to be.
Break one once bad on them, "spring".
Brake one twice you better replace all the springs and recheck install height and manufacture spec for coil bind you may need differant springs than what your running.
just something to think over.
and remember
......Brake a third spring bad on you.

Last edited by Hot Rod Hawk; 03-06-2004 at 01:13 AM.
Old 03-06-2004, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by Hot Rod Hawk
Granted the jockey at the dealer f-d up but with you saying "my second broken valve spring" and the fact your cam lift is large. my bet is on your killing the springs because of your install height. Odds are your set up to close to coil bind and this could be your real issue here. When they get overworked due to running them tight on coil bind tolerance they start dropping like flys. ..
...take my word on this, I just went thru it last october.
found ex springs were not as they where supose to be.
Break one once bad on them, "spring".
Brake one twice you better replace all the springs and recheck install height and manufacture spec for coil bind you may need differant springs than what your running.
just something to think over.
and remember
......Brake a third spring bad on you.
True, it is a possibility which I will look into. It's just kind of odd, that he's all revving it cold today, and they break today, my bet is thay they became more brittle because of this. I am going to try a different spring also.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:41 AM

Sorry to hear about your problems with Buff. Personally that is one of the dealerships that I have never had a problem with. I however have not had to deal with their body shop though. I purchased my 02 Camaro and my 03 Silverado their without any problems. I also have had my truck in a couple times for warrenty work, the last time being last thursday. It was towed in late Thursday night and fixed and ready to go Friday evening with no noticable problems anywhere. However you never know when you are going to get some ******* porter behind your wheel and as high as the turnaround is for mechanics you never know who your going to get to wrench on your car.

As far as complaining I have had to do this a few times at other dealerships. First, complain to the body shop manager if this does not yield the results you want talk to the manager of the dealership. Just remember to get your point across without sounding like an @sshole otherwise they'll just band aid any problems just to get you out of the door.

Like Jeff said it sounds like you might have something else going on with your springs then cold high revs.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:39 PM

I feel ya bro!!!A porter where my car was drove my car a short distance on a flat tire. And the work they did is **** poor ,now i see a nice big scratch in the rear quarter that was not there before.And the car still does not drive straight.I am dealing with Bill Wink chevy and their body shop. Just picked up my car from the detailing shop . Guess where its going monday???? Back to the body shop!!!!!! By monday i hope i can calm down enough to get my point across with out being an a$$ like bishop said. The reason i filed a claim was so the car would be fixed right. But its not and the workmanship is sub par at best. No quality here. Dont people take pride in their work anymore??????? Steven

Last edited by triumph; 03-06-2004 at 12:41 PM.