Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

ok, finally back on track w/the LT1 buildup

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 11:30 PM

ok, finally back on track w/the LT1 buildup

first of all, thanks mark (MLS48341) for trying to fix my main cap. after he drilled and taped it for the keensert, we decided it wasnt worthy of use.

so I located a cap off another eng. and sent the block out (again) to the machine shop to get the main caps line honed to properly locate the rear main cap and make the size perfect. it was .0005 too tight right off the other eng. (yes, I had to check) anyways I picked it up again today after getting the cam bearings knocked back out, line honed, hottanked, and another set of cam bearings put in. so tonight I got it all cleaned back up, put the crank back in and torqued all the main studs again.

I'll put up some pics tomorrow after work. Im hoping to have the short block ready for heads tomorrow night. then I get to wait for the head studs to show up still. I'll update this tomorrow night when I get finished for the evening.

chris

Last edited by IrocSS85; 09-20-2004 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:02 AM

Re: ok, finally back on track w/the LT1 buildup

It will all be worth it when its done and running and next year you won't have to do anything to it except race it all summer. Good luck and if you need a hand getting the engine back in let me know.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:50 PM

Chris,
Glad to see you're back on course.
And thanks again for being a stand-up guy.
Mark
Old 09-21-2004, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by mls48341
Chris,
Glad to see you're back on course.
And thanks again for being a stand-up guy.
Mark
I need you around more often. you do me a favor, and the you thank me. too cool. when you gonna take that car to the track to test out that big block mark?

john, just keep your fingers crossed. alls I should need is nitrous refills and gas right? lol. maybe a ring gear or two also.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:23 PM

Don't jinx yourself Chris, also don't forget you have that 4.10 spool axle sitting in your back yard. Your car will be wicked when your done, I expect to ride shotgun in your car before October so hurry up and get it done.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:20 PM

One day soon we'll get back to the track.
I will say the car digs hard and goes straight.
I need to get a new hood and wrap up a few more loose ends
before I'd feel safe at the big end of the track.
I took my 12 year old son up to "cruise night" here in Waterford
at the K-mart tonight and hung out a while, that was good.
So Chris, fill me in on your project.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:19 PM

all right, I think I figured out why my rear main cap got messed up. the arp main stud is taller then the stock bolt, and the oil pump overhangs the stud and when tightened down, it was contacting the stud. I had to clearance the oil pump, but that wasnt too bad. maybe tomorrow night I'll have time to post those pics of the eng. goin together. Im just glad I figured out what happened.

mark, didnt realize I didnt tell you what I was doin. nothin too fancy, buildin a 383 for my 95z. the rotating assembly has forged eagle 3.75" stroke, eagle hbeam forged rods, SRP -18cc dish pistons, JE hellfire rings, blocked is decked to .05", line honed, bored, arp main studs, arp head studs (still waiting for them), 233/239 cam, ported heads/intake, long tube headers, ORYP, edel. catback, 52mm holley tbody, 30 lb injs., 1.6roller rockers, CC R lifters, and elec. 02pump. Im guessin power will peak around 6000 being a 383, which should be perfect for my small 2800 rpm conv. and 3:73 gears. it should be around 10.9 compression ratio. on my et streets should be good for low 12's. but then, it gets a little more interesting when I open up the big blue bottle for a 200 HP shot. then it better hit high 10's or I'll break it trying damnit! but I'll need a cage and subframe conn.s before the bottle goes in it. there s a helluva a lot more small things, and ofcourse things done to the body/interior/suspension too. over the winter I'll get all my pics together and make a web page for it.

now for another update: stil lwaiting for the head studs, may just go buy some new ones tomorrow cause the dude still hasnt sent them out, and he's way down in Texas. but the short block is complete and the timing chain cover is on. the oil pan would be on, but I have to do the rear main seal still, so I'll do that first, then tighten down the oil pan. in th e mourning I can put on the opti, balancer, rear main, oil pan, elec. 02pump. soo much work, so little time.