Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

Is now a good time to buy a snowmobile in MI?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 02:26 AM

Is now a good time to buy a snowmobile in MI?

Obviously the best time to get a good deal is right after winter. But since I never want a snomobile then and it's almost impossible to find snomobile adds at that time. Is now a good time? I've found some great deals on very nice sleds and I don't remember them being that cheap or that nice last year in December when I was looking. Is there a good place I should look and also is their a good place in Michigan to look for financing? I don't really want to finance, and I don't really need to. But I'd like to put quite a bit of cash into the Z this winter so I want to have those extra funds to go into the car instead of buying a sled outright. Plus financing only makes my credit better which I need pretty bad I'm sure. Thanks all
Old 10-13-2003, 08:34 AM

Are you talking new or used?

Most of the deals on new sleds will run until the end of November.

Used you can find deals most anytime. Start checking the paper and traderonline.com. Right now there isn't much but as winter gets closer there will be more for sale.

There is a snowmobile auction in Bronson, MI that you can get some pretty decent deals on used sleds. Check it out at www.snowmobileauction.com I think they have 2 more auctions this year.

A little late, but there was a big show in Hastings this past weekend that all the manufacturers were at, swap meet, grass drags. There was A LOT of used sleds for sale.

I'm thinking about picking up a new one in the next month.
Old 10-13-2003, 03:04 PM

I'm looking in the 2-3k range right now. Two main reasons,#1 the snow we get here is so unpredictable I don't want to be spending 6k on a sled just to be able to ride it maybe 5 times at most. Hell that's what my Z's worth. #2 I only know about 2 other people that have snomobiles right now. My friends and I used to have some but we all kinda sold them off. One thing is though, once I get one, then a couple other buddies will get one, my parents want to get some, etc. It's just a matter of someone making the plunge first. I was looking at the 500cc-600cc range on power also. I wanted to keep insurance costs to a reasonable amount and I'v heard 600cc or less is the way to go for that. On the other hand though I haven't ridden many sleds lately so I don't know what kind of power they're making anymore anyway. I don't want to be a dog out there, and I definately love speed, so if you say 500's are too small then can you recommend any 600's or bigger that I should look for? I would love to use your advice and exterpise. Just tell me what to look out for and what to look for and I'll take it from there. If I come across a nice deal then I'll have to hit you up. Thanks for the advice and assistance.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by Killerjello
If your in the market for other sleds, DONT get a 4 stroke unless you like going slow... 4 strokes just arent up there power wise yet, the 2003 arctic cat 4 strokes only put out like 50hp i believe.

You must have forgotten the "YAMAHA RX1 LINE UP"
1000cc four stroke monsters with 140 PLUS horsepower and 27 miles per gallon!
Then throw on the turbo system used on the Yam watercraft that are also powered by the R1 motor and you have one bad boost driven snowmobile!!!
there out there alllllllll ready!!! TRUST ME

Last edited by Hot Rod Hawk; 10-13-2003 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-13-2003, 07:14 PM

RX1 came out last year. 2004 line up in its second season....
click on the "YAMAHA RX1 LINE UP" in my first reply.
Kool snomachines
Old 10-14-2003, 11:10 AM

The RX-1's are pretty cool but they are $9k+ brand new and they are HEAVY. I did see a used one sell for $5.5k at the auction a couple of weeks ago but it looked a little beat up.

You aren't going to go wrong with any of the 4 big sled manufacturers. It just all comes down to personal preference. I grew up riding Cats and then Polaris. My dad now rides a Yamaha (SXViper) and I'm thinking about buying a Ski Doo.

If you are serious I would consider going to the auction that I listed earlier. There where some pretty good deals on used sleds. Plus, they auction clothes, helmets, gloves, etc. And they also have new sleds, trailers, ATV's, motorcycles, etc.