Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

Noticed oil between transmission and oil pan (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 09:27 PM

Noticed oil between transmission and oil pan (pics inside)

Is this just regular oil run off from the filter or should I take this in ASAP? And I have 32,800 miles left, is the standard GM warranty 32k or 36k miles? I forgot

If this has to be taken in, Chris you get to see my car again

Old 09-16-2004, 09:41 PM

Re: Noticed oil between transmission and oil pan (pics inside)

yey. cant wait. lol. looks like rear main poss. its 36K mi. warranty. you'll prolly have to leave it for a couple days cause the heavy guys are pretty backed up usually. call carla at sellers, ask to make an appointment, and ask if the heavy tech is backed up or how long it would take before he can look at it. obviously she cant tell ya how long he will be with it, but find out if you have to wait to bring it in, or what. it is pretty typical though. need anything else while its in? maybe heads /cam? lol you goin to M9? Im still tryin to get there, but prolly will be a little late if I can make it.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by IrocSS85
yey. cant wait. lol. looks like rear main poss. its 36K mi. warranty. you'll prolly have to leave it for a couple days cause the heavy guys are pretty backed up usually. call carla at sellers, ask to make an appointment, and ask if the heavy tech is backed up or how long it would take before he can look at it. obviously she cant tell ya how long he will be with it, but find out if you have to wait to bring it in, or what. it is pretty typical though. need anything else while its in? maybe heads /cam? lol you goin to M9? Im still tryin to get there, but prolly will be a little late if I can make it.
Thanks. I have 3500 miles left then, I have to get my Taurus fixed first. That's a different story heh. I wont be making it to M9 this year cause i'm getting married and it's exhausted all my cash and free time. Yeah install a Cam for me a LS6 from a Z06 wouldn't hurt. Hey I haven't heard a word about the Pontiac car show your work throws every year, what's the details on that? I wont be in the show but love to stop by and chat up with some friends I made last year. Anyways good hearing from ya. See ya soon.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:35 AM

I'll pick up the flyer today.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:57 PM

please update this post by telling what is wrong with your ls1. I had the same problem and the oil was coming from the end of the crankshaft. Irocss may remember me asking about that problem a few months ago. In the hole where the pilot bearing is there is freeze plug like plug, the plug in mine was popped out. So please post your problem cause thats how I noticed I had a problem there was oil between the two when I went to remove my trans for a shift fork replacement, found oil all over the clutch and pressureplate. Sounds all to fimiliar to me just a little curious.

James
Old 09-17-2004, 10:26 PM

james, did you fix the oil leak by replacing that plug? was it just barely popped out or what? I do remember you asking about that, but I havent seen that myself.
chris
Old 09-19-2004, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by alteregoss2000
please update this post by telling what is wrong with your ls1. I had the same problem and the oil was coming from the end of the crankshaft. Irocss may remember me asking about that problem a few months ago. In the hole where the pilot bearing is there is freeze plug like plug, the plug in mine was popped out. So please post your problem cause thats how I noticed I had a problem there was oil between the two when I went to remove my trans for a shift fork replacement, found oil all over the clutch and pressureplate. Sounds all to fimiliar to me just a little curious.

James

So is it bad to have oil all over the clutch and pressureplate? Should I tell them to check that out as well? I'll update as soon as I know. Right now i have to fix my taurus so I have a car to drive while they work on it.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by stavos
So is it bad to have oil all over the clutch and pressureplate? Should I tell them to check that out as well? I'll update as soon as I know. Right now i have to fix my taurus so I have a car to drive while they work on it.
Oil on clutch could make the clutch slip as well as make it prematurely fail. Get it fixed.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:34 PM

yeah dont worry, I'll get a look at it when the trans comes off to see the leak. they would replace anything like that if there was a problem anways.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:00 PM

No can't say I just popped the plug back in and was all cool. I drove down to Georgia to Billy Grahm camaro salvage and bought a brand new 02 ls1 with approx. 5 miles on it and removed the old and put in the new. Now I can sell my old ls1, save it for a nice hot rod project, or what ever else might come up. Can't see any harm in an spare ls1 to play with. P.S. the engine from Billy looked absolutley brand new, I know there was alot of other options but I'm happy with a new engine, just wish I could of made it to m9 to see how it really runs.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by IrocSS85
yeah dont worry, I'll get a look at it when the trans comes off to see the leak. they would replace anything like that if there was a problem anways.
Thanks man, one more thing I need my steering wheel fixed it makes a clicking sound if a jerk it back and forth, i think you gave it more play last time it was in, however the clicking sound is really annoying and I'd rather have it tight. BTW did your dad use the T-top holders at a car show yet? how did they work out? I guess I missed the Pontiac car show this year I didn't even get anything in the mail for it. When was it?

I'll probably bring it in 2 weeks from now i'm getting married this saturday.

l8r
Old 10-05-2004, 04:02 PM

dont remember doin anything with the steering. what did I do? you'll have to show me the click, I cant think of anything that can cause that on that car. the pont. car show was the same weekend you asked me to find out for ya. I brought home a flyer, but never looked at it till the durning the week after that. so we both missed it. yeah he used the ttop holders at the trans am nationals, they work great. however, were goin to make some new ones to have a set of 4. sometimes when you put one it, it wouldnt be that sturdy. but we did get them to stay. his car doesnt have any red on it, so I brushed them up with a wire wheel and left them silver. whatever we make we'll prolly have powdercoated silver to perfecly match.
chris