Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

(((NEW))) michigan tint law,noooooooo

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 11:38 PM

Re: (((NEW))) michigan tint law,noooooooo

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I don't think it should be legal to install extra-dark tint. There are lots of show cars that are never driven on the street. Where should those guys go to get their tint?

If the car is never driven on the street then they will never have a problem. I dont think they can stop shops from installing it. Its the customers responsibility to know the law. Hell wheelie bars and parachutes are illegal on the streets but its perfectly fine for a perf shop to install those.

From the article it looks like they arent changing the law as it sits, just trying to stiffen then penalties. I say tint away and drive with your windows down all the time They cant give you a ticket for tint while you car is sitting in a parking lot or in your garage
Old 10-19-2005, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Oops, I meant to say I don't think it should be illegal to install extra dark tint.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by meissenation
Werd, read the article too quickly. It's funny how the people representing our state are more consumed with putting more people in jail, rather than helping correct the fact that Detroit is the POOREST CITY IN THE ENTIRE NATION. They'd rather throw more people in jail, even though they're letting people OUT of jail because they are overcrowded and they can't handle the huge amount of prisoners. They'd rather throw otherwise law abiding citizens into jail for tint, rather than cracking down on the drug dealers, gangs, and the rest of the trash in society. We tint our windows becuase we are car enthusiasts, 'nuff said.

I just can't see window tint being punishable with jail time
Old 10-20-2005, 10:43 PM

i think that is BS i can understand the safety issue but if the windows arent down by the time the officer gets there he should know there is a problem. My daily driven Z34 is limo all the way around, my Z28 is 15% all the way around, My girlfriends Grand Prix is 15% all the way around as well as my dads GTP, a cop would have a field day in front of my house
Old 10-21-2005, 08:16 AM

I agree 100%. If someone was an honest person and wasn't a criminal, they'd have their tinted windows rolled down as soon as they got pulled over. They wouldn't leave their limo tinted windows up all the way to when the cop walks up. Even with my 35% when I got pulled over, I rolled the driver side down as soon as I got pulled over. He still could clearly see the passenger side was tinted, and he obviously knew it was tinted since he pulled me over, so it's not like I rolled it down to "hide" the tint.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:38 AM

I agree that if you roll your windows down as soon as you get pulled over it shouldnt be a big deal, as long as the officer can see into the car when he walks up to it. My camaro had limo in the back and 22% on the sides, never had a problem. My mustang had the same, and now my truck has a layer of limo on top of factory tint, and basically lets no light in. the side windows are 20%, and I havent had a problem yet. Knock on wood. I also think that most cops wont go after you just for the tint, most of the stories I've heard of people getting ticketed for illegal tint, they were already getting a reckless driving ticket or something else which led the officer to get them for as much as he could. However, I do believe that state cops will go after you for tint, as it seems like most of the tint tickets given out are from state cops. Its funny how some cops say 35% is legal, and others say nothing is. I guess its ultimately up to the officer.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by 94camaro34
I also think that most cops wont go after you just for the tint, most of the stories I've heard of people getting ticketed for illegal tint, they were already getting a reckless driving ticket or something else which led the officer to get them for as much as he could. However, I do believe that state cops will go after you for tint, as it seems like most of the tint tickets given out are from state cops. Its funny how some cops say 35% is legal, and others say nothing is. I guess its ultimately up to the officer.
I was pulled over about 5 years ago for tinted windows (35% front 20% rear) and for a clear license plate cover, that's it. I had the cruise set for the morning commute (at the speed limit) and the cop whipped a u-turn to pull me over. I rolled the window down, turned on the dome light and he still gave me a ticket. Once I got the ticket for my windows, I asked if there wasn't a REAL crime going on that his time would have been better spent and he got pissed and wrote me a ticket for the license plate cover. I paid the tickets and left the tint and cover in place. I have not been pulled over again since that. I do however roll my windows down if I see a cop.