Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

Need help passing emissions test

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 01:59 PM

Need help passing emissions test

I have a 95 chrysler intrepid 3.5L I failed on HC at 40km. My limit was 57 and I had 62. I changed the spark plugs, air filter, pcv ran the hell out of it with high test. This is my second test the first one I failed on HC and NO at 40km. Is there any tricks I can do to help pass, I don't want to sink any more money into this car I only paid 900 for it. Thanks
Old 06-28-2006, 04:55 PM

Re: Need help passing emissions test

damn, thats close

was it hot when you went for the test?
are the O2 sensors working properly?
are the throttle bodies clean?

might just need to put a new cat on it
Old 06-29-2006, 03:32 PM

First off do not run premium gas. The higher octane is designed to burn slower to create a longer burn and in a car programmed to run on 87 octane all you are doing is sending raw fuel out the exaust valve which directly affects HC readings.
Try just running regular Shell gas. It has very low amounts of ethanol in comparison to Petro Canada, Esso etc and tends to help.
If you want to pass for sure just go to Canadian Tire and buy a couple gallons of methol hydrate. Run the tank of gas down low then put this stuff in it drive directly to the emissions place keeping the car nice and hot. It will pass and if it doesn't it is because your cat is no good.
Also I have been told by a couple people that going to different emissions centers will yeild different results on the exact same vehicle so you could even try going elsewhere but it will cost you another $37.50. I had a co-worker fail 3 times at the same place with a van he bought. After the 3rd time of failing he drove it to a different testing place within a couple of hours of the last test and without doing a thing to it passed.

Good Luck
Old 07-01-2006, 09:41 PM

I second the "NO PREMIUM FUEL" statement! That's the first (biggest) mistake a lot of people make. Hell, if/when my Camaro needs its e-test (that'll be next January I guess? ) I'll probably run it in on a tank of 87. I didn't know that the ethanol would affect the readings though??