Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

Moving to Lansing, MI--vehicle laws and misc. ?s

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 06:38 PM

Moving to Lansing, MI--vehicle laws and misc. ?s

Hi all,
I am moving from Nashville, TN to Lansing toward the end of February (job transfer). What kinds of vehicle laws should I be aware of? Any emmissions laws/tests? Also, what kinds of tax issues (sales tax, income tax, etc.) does MI have? Here sales tax is 9.25 on nearly everything, but no income tax. How about MI? Thanks for any answers.

Todd
Old 01-14-2004, 06:41 PM

There are no emission laws/test. The sales tax is 6%, and the income tax is bracket based. The more you make the more they take.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:22 PM

No emissions tests or inspections. This was a kind surprise for me coming from North Carolina.
Old 01-14-2004, 07:28 PM

Hope ya like snow. We just got 4 inches today.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:10 PM

Yeah, I'm looking forward to snow. Probably gets old quick though. I think I'm going to leave the Z in TN at my parent's until the snow clears. When would that be, normally? I was there on business in late April and it snowed like crazy. I've driven it in snow once, and vowed to never do it again. No traction control and older tires. The wife's fwd car handles great in the white stuff though. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-14-2004, 08:30 PM

Welcome to Mich, TN is much different. I make several trips to TN every year and I like the smooth roads in TN. Be prepared for high income taxes compared to what your used to in TN, higher property taxes as well. Bumpy roads, everyone drives in the Left lane on the highway, even if they are not passing, etc...
Old 01-14-2004, 08:33 PM

Hey, welcome to Lansing. For being one of the largest GM towns, the car scene is kind of slow. During nice weather, there's a large gathering at a local strip mall kind of place (Jolly/Cedar). You'll see everything from strip only cars to lowriders to a V8 Boss Hoss bike to choppers to ricers to boomers to f-bodies to junk heaps. It's different, for sure.

Also, our very own DVD boy, Dan, occasionally has a bash at his dream garage (BTW, Dan.... it's been a while).

Our girley governor, Governor Jenny has jacked around with our registration fees, big time. Used to be you could register for partial year (makes sense for f-bods), easily swap plates, etc. Now, there are fees up the a$$, late fees, back fees, front fees, you-name-it fees.

Anyway, let us know when you get settled and we can show you around.

PS: Who are you working for?

RRRR
Old 01-14-2004, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by jp2002ls1
everyone drives in the Left lane on the highway, even if they are not passing, etc...
Damn straight

And giving them the "You're number one" doesn't budge them a bit.

Grrr.... bastiges!

RRRR (who commutes 2+ hrs on I96 every damn day)
Old 01-14-2004, 08:39 PM

Snow even in May is not unheard of. Welcome to the state with two seasons.....Winter and Road Construction. Look forward to seeing you at some of the events in the summer. There are alot of good ones.....M9, Woodward....Camaro Superfest....bla bla bla....Lots of them.

Q
Old 01-14-2004, 08:51 PM

I kind of had a feeling I have it good here in TN. Not as good as the FL guys, but . . .

RRR, Both my wife and I work for Auto-Owners Insurance. I'm in claims and she is in underwriting.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by stock98z
Yeah, I'm looking forward to snow. Probably gets old quick though. I think I'm going to leave the Z in TN at my parent's until the snow clears. When would that be, normally? I was there on business in late April and it snowed like crazy. I've driven it in snow once, and vowed to never do it again. No traction control and older tires. The wife's fwd car handles great in the white stuff though. Thanks for the info!
Be glad you will be in Lansing. They only get about 35 inches a year, we get about 75 on average and had 100 2 years ago.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:55 PM

The snow clears several times, but it usually stops snowing by mid April. Granholm is screwing us hard, now that I can vote, I'm voting for whoever is not named Jennifer Granholm and hopefully everyone else will follow suit.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:41 PM

Welcome to the winter wonder land, the lakes, and the worst roads in the good ol us of a!
Lansing is close to the detroit burbs just a short hop skip and jump on I-96 and in a hour you could have your pick of some of this fun...
...just pick a day
http://www.cruisin-usa.com/cnights.html
Ya were known as the Motor city

PS
I recomend a sunday at Bakers in Milford for one from Lansing as its gonna be your shortest drive, also voted as one of the Top 10 cruise spots in the united states by Car Craft Magazine!

Last edited by Hot Rod Hawk; 01-15-2004 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by Hot Rod Hawk
PS
I recomend a sunday at Bakers in Milford for one from Lansing as its gonna be your shortest drive, also voted as one of the Top 10 cruise spots in the united states by Car Craft Magazine!
Where exactly is that place? Being that I'm in novi I should know, but I've never been over there.

As far as driving in the snow, GET SOME BRIDGSTONE BLIZZACS!! despite all the snow last night, I went everywhere I wanted to go (travelled from novi to 13/ Van Dyke, about 20miles one way). I never got stuck and I don't have any weight in the back.

never thought driving an L98 GTA in 5-6" would be so easy
Old 01-15-2004, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by CamaroBoy96Z28
The snow clears several times, but it usually stops snowing by mid April. Granholm is screwing us hard, now that I can vote, I'm voting for whoever is not named Jennifer Granholm and hopefully everyone else will follow suit.
If she cuts the Universies any more then I don't see how they can stay open. Western already lost the track team. They have stopped mailing class schedules and don't have a catalog after this semester becasue they can't afford paper It's getting ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Moving to Lansing, MI--vehicle laws and misc. ?s