Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

A Little Help, PLEASE.... What's Up With This?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 08:51 PM

A Little Help, PLEASE.... What's Up With This?

98WS6 (A4) the car has all the mods listed in my sig. As of last week I started to feel the car turn sluggish. Several times I was in drive and gave the car full throttle and got almost no response from the car. It wouldn't kick down a gear (only doing about 45mph) and got almost 0 pickup out of the car. It felt like I had barely given the car any gas and it was actually full throttle. This has happened a few times now. It feels almost like someone had the throttle body blocked off by 90% or more, that kind of feeling. It has only done this in drive. I have noticed the car hasn't had the same response lately in all gears but mostly 3rd when it happens. The strange thing is it happens a few times then it doesn't happen again for a while.

Any Ideas? Throttle Position Sensor going bad? Tranny going? Bad Plug or two?

Thanks,

Old 07-09-2003, 08:57 PM

Sounds like the symptoms of a clogged fuel filter. May be something else, but I would check this first.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:21 PM

Notice it more in the heat? Try the ignition module or the coil. When my coil gets hot - I have to shut it down for a wile to get the performance back - I am too lazy to buy another right now.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:37 PM

bill, how many mi.s? sounds like the fuel filter, or worse yet maybe a fuel pump thats goin out. its not the coil(s) cause you have 8 of them, if one was bad it would feel like a misfire, not what you described. Im sure smiley23 just doesnt realize you have the LS1 w/8 coils. anyways, that would be a real tricky one to figure out. pretty much, Id look at the misfire history that the pcm stores w/a scanner, to see if any or all cyl.s have misfires stored in history. prolly not though. then, look for codes, then look at the fuel press. at all the diff. points, key on, at idle, after shutoff, at WOT, all that. to see if there are any signs of low fuel press. also Id look at all the other sensors like Intake air temp, Engine coolant temp, TPS, EGR, there's tons of stuff that could cause it. usually for a prob. like this, you need to get it to act up to figure it out. when does it do this? hotter temps? after long drives? during short drives? onthe freeway? what? will it accelerate normally if you manually shift it?
Old 07-10-2003, 01:04 AM

I'm gonna have to go with Throttle Position Sensor. But thats just me.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by IrocSS85
bill, how many mi.s? sounds like the fuel filter, or worse yet maybe a fuel pump thats goin out. its not the coil(s) cause you have 8 of them, if one was bad it would feel like a misfire, not what you described. Im sure smiley23 just doesnt realize you have the LS1 w/8 coils. anyways, that would be a real tricky one to figure out. pretty much, Id look at the misfire history that the pcm stores w/a scanner, to see if any or all cyl.s have misfires stored in history. prolly not though. then, look for codes, then look at the fuel press. at all the diff. points, key on, at idle, after shutoff, at WOT, all that. to see if there are any signs of low fuel press. also Id look at all the other sensors like Intake air temp, Engine coolant temp, TPS, EGR, there's tons of stuff that could cause it. usually for a prob. like this, you need to get it to act up to figure it out. when does it do this? hotter temps? after long drives? during short drives? onthe freeway? what? will it accelerate normally if you manually shift it?
True - I didnt think of multiple coils - but - it does not mean they are redundant coils. I had an 89 Grand Prix (2.8) with 3 coils and 1 fried up - the car used up a lot of gas on the highway and ran like crap.
On the LS1 the coils are mounted on the Ignition module? That setup has always been known to fail the ignition module.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:42 PM

To answer all the questions:

1. The car has 45,000 miles on it.

2. This seems to happen at random times, no set pattern to when it acts up.

3. The air cleaner seems fine. and I haven't changed the bellow to anything new.

4.) Plugs only have about 10,000 miles on them.

I don't have a way of checking the PCM for history of misfires. What is the best thing to use for this? Can a dealership do this for me?

Thanks for all the help......... I'll start with th fuel filter and go from there. Hey IrocSS85 want to do a tune up on my car for me? Plugs and fuel filter?

Let me know if you are interested?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 07-11-2003, 12:09 AM

sure bill, I can do that. plus, when you bring it over, I can scan it to look for codes and history misfires. and read al the other sensors. its very poss. that when you sprayed it, the plugs got messed up. and if not, then the plugs are prolly still good and you can keep them for next time. at the same time, changing the plugs (or just pulling them to check them) will let us get an idea if the eng. is burning any oil or coolant. the problem is I dont have any time right now. prolly not for about 2 weeks. my house goes up for sale this weekend, so I got lots of stuff to clean/fix still. I figure at least 2 weeks to get it all done.

I'll do it all for $30 if you can wait.

chris