Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin

Let's play find the thirdgens.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 11:15 PM

Let's play find the thirdgens.

alright guys these cars are getting harder and harder to find.

find me a thirdgen under $3,000. preferably 86 or newer unless it's a convertible or in perfect shape for a really odd low amount of money.

If I buy the car you email me the lead on i'll send you $25. $50 if you are able to send me pictures of it.

i don't care if it's your neighbors or you see it on the way to work, let me know.

Old 05-18-2006, 12:27 AM

Re: Let's play find the thirdgens.

Every time I go to Tennessee I see a ton of clean third gens, some don't run well and some need a paint job but they are all rust free. The biggest problems with 3rd gens in TN is that the interiors are shot.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:04 AM

Yeah, they are definantly getting harder to find. I have had my 86 Trans Am for over 4 years now and I love the car! I just don't have as much time for it anymore since i bought my camaro a year ago. Let me know what you think.

Here is a picture from a front angle
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...11_05_1550.jpg

-Greg
Old 05-18-2006, 09:28 AM

There's one onthe side of the road here in Okemos. I'll try to get a telephone number for you.

Are you opening a third-gen used car dealership or something??
Old 05-18-2006, 01:10 PM

lol.. no i have 3 cars i'm building and i need parts. it's easier to buy cars then the parts themselves unfortunately.

Greg, are you thinking about selling it? what are you asking for it? i'm really looking for more fixer cars and their relative prices but let me know as i'm always looking.

thanks everyone and if you find anything let me know. i'm on the southeast side so if your on the west side i'd appreciate a picture or contact info as it's too far to drive hoping that the car might be sitting outside.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:50 PM

Go to a Super Chevy Show and bring a truck. A couple years ago a guy was selling Camaro front end, doors, hatch, tail lights and rear bumper for $800. The sheet metal was different colors, but you have to paint it anyway. Norwalk has already come and gone. Martin is coming up and the big one in Indy is July 14-15-16 I think.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by kandied91z
Greg, are you thinking about selling it? what are you asking for it? i'm really looking for more fixer cars and their relative prices but let me know as i'm always looking.
Yeah, I am thinking about selling it. I love the car and would love to keep it, but i don't have the time or money to spend on it. I don't really drive it anymore and I need to save some money for school in the fall. I used to drive it everyday and i probably still could but driving 45 minutes for school everyday, i didn't want to do so i bought a grand am for that. The TA has a 305 4bbl and its got a lot of new stock replacement external parts(waterpump, altenator, fuel pump, etc..) The only performance thing that i have done to the car is the transmission. I had it rebuilt with a shift kit. The car is far from perfect but it is pretty much all there. I don't know what i want for it, but it would definantly be less than $3000.

-Greg
Old 05-19-2006, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by TA Jack
Go to a Super Chevy Show and bring a truck. A couple years ago a guy was selling Camaro front end, doors, hatch, tail lights and rear bumper for $800. The sheet metal was different colors, but you have to paint it anyway. Norwalk has already come and gone. Martin is coming up and the big one in Indy is July 14-15-16 I think.

thanks for the advice, that's my prime example. i can get complete donor cars for under $1,000 it doesn't make since to try and buy a single part that i may need. hell when aftermarket replacement fenders or even a rear glass combined total over $3,000 from the insurance company it's no wonder these things don't cost more.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ws6transam
There's one onthe side of the road here in Okemos. I'll try to get a telephone number for you.

Are you opening a third-gen used car dealership or something??
You're not talking about the black convertible at Meridian and Sherwood, are you?

Because I was going to tell him about that one.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:26 PM

convertible? if you guys can't get a picture an address would be great if you don't know the person.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kandied91z
convertible? if you guys can't get a picture an address would be great if you don't know the person.
Next time the sun is out, I'm sure they'll have it on the corner again. It's been raining here, so it hasn't been out for a while. I'll go over there tonight to snap a pic and see if I can get some more information for you.

FWIW, I don't think it's a V8 (the rocker panel badge just says "Camaro", I don't really know if that means anything).
Old 05-19-2006, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

A little more info:

It's an 88. It's still for sale, but it's tucked away until it stops raining like I thought. The man selling it is out of town for the rest of the weekend, but you can call him at (517) 282-2194 on Monday. I was only able to speak with his wife, and she didn't know much.

It is a two-minute walk from my house. When it's out again, I'll get some pictures and see if I can't talk to the guy.

I did a walkaround a couple weeks ago. It looks solid (no body rust that I noticed), but the paint looks faded and the interior looks like... well, like your typical 19-year-old convertible interior looks. It certainly hasn't been babied. The top was down, so I can't comment on the condition of the top. It's an automatic. There's an aftermarket stereo head unit, and there's an amp (nothing special) mounted in plain sight on the right rear footwell.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:46 PM

I'm selling my car as well. I can give you all the info about the car if you are interested. Let me know what you think. BTW, I remember seeing your Camaro in person a few years back, it was a beautiful car.

P.S. the door is just not closed all the way, thats why it looks weird.

-Steve
Old 05-20-2006, 05:17 PM

No Jake, I forgot about that convertible. In fact, I hadn't known it was still for sale! They tried to sell it two or three summers ago and I haven't seen it out since then. IIRC it was a semi-rough but solid Camaro RS. Definitely a worthy restoration project.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:00 AM

There is a clean early 90's-something Blue RS Third Gen (NOT a convertible) for $1000.00 OBO (must be not running?) in my neck of the woods just north of Fenton (15 miles S of Flint) on the north side of Thompson Rd. (Exit 84) off of US23 about 1/4 mile west of the freeway. I don't have the phone #, but will check for it if you are interested.

Quick Reply: Let's play find the thirdgens.